December Meeting: Holiday Party!

Ezra Parker

Dec 4, 2009, 9:45:18 PM12/4/09
to IECFUG
Hi everyone -- 2009 is almost gone, and we're planning to wrap up the
year with a bang! Instead of holding our regular meeting at Cal Poly
next week, we're planning to have a networking event/holiday party at
a local pizzeria.

This shindig is scheduled for 6:00 pm on Saturday, December 19th at
Pizza 'N Such in Claremont, which is located on the northeast corner
of 2nd Street and Yale Avenue:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=15854266290046323998

In order to encourage folks to mingle, we've reserved their back room,
which seats about 15-20 people, so we'll have a semi-private area to
ourselves (with overflow into their main dining area if necessary).

We're also giving away some great prizes to close out the year,
including an Adobe software license (which can be used for a copy of
ColdFusion 9!), and a set of the one-day ColdBox training materials
(generously donated by Luis).

Please reply to this thread if you're planning to come so we can get a
sense of how many people to expect. Also, if anyone wishes to bring a
friend/spouse/significant other please feel free, just add them to the
head count.

Hopefully folks who aren't able to make it to meetings during the week
will be able to come out for this event -- we'd love to meet some new
people!

Luis Majano

Dec 4, 2009, 10:02:46 PM12/4/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I am in for the shingding!!

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Luis Majano

Dec 4, 2009, 10:03:44 PM12/4/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
By the way, I will also be raffling some Railo and Other schwag!!

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Carlos Balacuit

Dec 7, 2009, 12:49:57 PM12/7/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Me too.

- Carlos

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 7, 2009, 8:03:41 PM12/7/09
to IECFUG
I say yes in general unless there is not any weather related issue. :)

Kalen Gibbons

Dec 7, 2009, 11:54:01 PM12/7/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Count me out unfortunately.  We're doing the family Christmas that day.  Can I still enter the prize raffle from home? ;-)

Kalen

Alvin Hom

Dec 8, 2009, 1:07:58 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I also cannot make it as I have another Christmas party that night.

Alvin

Ezra Parker

Dec 8, 2009, 2:10:03 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, perhaps we acted too hastily in setting this date, and another
day would work better.

Quick poll: who would prefer Saturday the 19th, and who would prefer
Sunday the 20th?

Alternatively, should we try and push this up to this weekend? (I'm
not sure if that's possible, but I can ask the restaurant if a lot of
folks prefer this.)

--
Ezra

Luis Majano

Dec 8, 2009, 3:05:29 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Either 19 or 20 is good with me.  This weekend I can't,

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 8, 2009, 3:08:55 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I believe Sundays are not good in general.

Either a Friday or Saturday. Saturday 19 is great for me. But we probably may consider having a lunch instead of a dinner.

JM2C.

Alvin Hom

Dec 8, 2009, 3:50:35 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
If we were to do it that weekend, I could do

12/18 Fri Dinner
12/19 Sat Lunch
12/20 Sun Lunch or Dinner

Alvin

Charlie Griefer

Dec 8, 2009, 3:51:45 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
My spirit is good with any time/day/place you all want :)
Charlie Griefer
http://charlie.griefer.com/

I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my life. I love my wife. And I wish you my kind of success.

Laksma Tirtohadi

Dec 8, 2009, 5:24:10 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I would prefer on Friday the 18th evening or Sunday the 20th evening.

Laksma

Carlos Balacuit

Dec 8, 2009, 8:29:53 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Charlie Griefer
<charlie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My spirit is good with any time/day/place you all want :)

Can our spirits carpool? It's a long drive from Pasadena to
Claremont, and I'm going to be drinking at the shindig.

- Carlos

Charlie Griefer

Dec 8, 2009, 8:59:18 PM12/8/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com

Sure, but my spirit calls shotgun.

Ezra Parker

Dec 9, 2009, 1:28:48 PM12/9/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
OK, so by my count, shifting to Sunday evening would work better for
two people (Alvin and Laksma), and would be worse for one (Oğuz).

Alternatively, it also sounds like lunch on Saturday would be OK for
both Alvin and Oğuz.

Any other opinions?

--
Ezra

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 9, 2009, 1:35:12 PM12/9/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Any Sunday evening will not work for me.

JM2C.

Luis Majano

Dec 9, 2009, 2:43:28 PM12/9/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I can do lunch on saturday.

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Ezra Parker

Dec 10, 2009, 1:31:12 PM12/10/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
If we wish to change the day and/or time, we'll need to come to a
final decision fairly shortly, as if this is the case I should contact
the restaurant ASAP. If anyone who thinks they might attend could
respond with a vote on the following choices that would be extremely
helpful:

A) Saturday the 19th dinner
B) Saturday the 19th lunch
C) Sunday the 20th dinner
D) Sunday the 20th lunch

(This assumes that the room is available at these alternative times --
if not, then sticking with Saturday evening may be the only choice.)

Ideally, I'd like to see responses ordered by preference, excluding
any time slot that one is unavailable. E.g., if you can't make it on
Saturday night, but the other three times work then you would reply
with something like:

Thanks everyone!

--
Ezra

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 10, 2009, 1:36:37 PM12/10/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com

TIA!

Oğuz Demirkapı

Luis Majano

Dec 10, 2009, 1:49:17 PM12/10/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
A,B,D

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Laksma Tirtohadi

Dec 10, 2009, 4:00:19 PM12/10/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com

Other than C, I might not be able to come.

Laksma

Ezra Parker

Dec 11, 2009, 12:12:57 PM12/11/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
OK, last call. If we don't have any other votes then it looks like
we'll go with Saturday night (sorry Laksma).

--
Ezra

Carlos Balacuit

Dec 11, 2009, 12:49:30 PM12/11/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
n Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Ezra Parker <ez...@cfgrok.com> wrote:
> If we wish to change the day and/or time, we'll need to come to a
> final decision fairly shortly, as if this is the case I should contact
> the restaurant ASAP. If anyone who thinks they might attend could
> respond with a vote on the following choices that would be extremely
> helpful:
>
> A) Saturday the 19th dinner
> B) Saturday the 19th lunch
> C) Sunday the 20th dinner
> D) Sunday the 20th lunch

B, A, C, D

- Carlos

Alvin Hom

Dec 11, 2009, 1:47:47 PM12/11/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
B,D. I have another Xmas party that night.
Have a good time!

Alvin

Ezra Parker

Dec 11, 2009, 1:56:31 PM12/11/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
OK, we now have a tie between Saturday night and Saturday afternoon --
I guess I'm leaning toward afternoon if it's available, as one of
those four people can't make the evening time.

I'm going to give this another hour or two, and then call the
restaurant to see about switching the time.

Thanks, everyone.

--
Ezra

Ezra Parker

Dec 11, 2009, 4:05:43 PM12/11/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've switched the time to noon on Saturday the 19th.

Hopefully this means at least one more person can make it.

Thanks,

--
Ezra

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 15, 2009, 5:09:17 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ezra,

Is that fixed now as 12 PM? Or anytime like 1 or 2?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Oğuz Demirkapı

Ezra Parker

Dec 15, 2009, 5:15:34 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Hey Oğuz,

Our reservation is for 12:00, and I'm probably planning to stick
around until 2:00 or 2:30, so we'll still be there if you can't make
it until 1:00.

--
Ezra

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 15, 2009, 5:21:21 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I would be there anytime. Just wanted to be sure about the time. Thanks for clarification. :)

Luis Majano

Dec 15, 2009, 5:26:36 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I am latin, so I cannot be early :)

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 15, 2009, 5:28:19 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
I thought that you are already a "Gringo"! :)

Luis Majano

Dec 15, 2009, 5:29:41 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
True!

However, the latino in me will never die.  So I will have to arrive at 12:30 :)

Can't wait to see everybody and chat!

Hey ezra, is there a TV in the joint or a projector?  I can take my wii or xbox

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Ezra Parker

Dec 15, 2009, 5:35:36 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Luis Majano <lma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey ezra, is there a TV in the joint or a projector?  I can take my wii or
> xbox

No, I'm afraid not -- at least not in the back room. They've got a
couple of TVs in the main dining area, but I doubt that they'll let us
hook up to any of those, as they are generally showing some sporting
event.

--
Ezra

Luis Majano

Dec 15, 2009, 5:42:41 PM12/15/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
hmm, so maybe a projector?  Anybody have a projector?

Luis F. Majano
President
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Oğuz Demirkapı

Dec 20, 2009, 12:19:49 AM12/20/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
It was a great time. Thanks guys ...  :)

Here are photos:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/oguz/sets/72157623034129942/

Ezra Parker

Dec 20, 2009, 10:26:05 PM12/20/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting the photos, Oğuz. Happy holidays, everyone.

--
Ezra

Luis Majano

Dec 21, 2009, 12:04:02 AM12/21/09
to iec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guys!!

Merry ChristMas and Happy New Year!!  See you next year!  Heading down to sunshine and beach in sunny El Salvador!!