Transatlantic fibre

Aengus

Jan 22, 2001, 1:28:38 PM1/22/01
Remember all that talk last year about the Global Crossing fibre optic
link that the Government underwrote? Does anyone know when it's
supposed to come online? I notice that traceroutes to a lot of US sites
still go through London (for instance, Global Crossings own home page,
www.glbx.net). Sites hosted with AT&T seem to travel on Cable and
Wireless lines, and go direct to the US (via a router with a
te.netaddress - that's Telecom Eireann, the name that they spent 6
million on replacing with Eircom!)

--
RoI Motto - A Nod's As Good As A Wink
NI Motto - Pot Kettle Black

Paul Egan

Jan 22, 2001, 4:48:23 PM1/22/01

It's still in test phase at the moment. We have a line from France to the US
and a line from Europe to Ireland.
The European hub is almost completed so I guess that we should be in action
in a few months.
Either way, there won't be a direct connection to the states, but one via
France.

Paul Egan

France Telecom

"Aengus" <AengusL...@eircom.net.invalid> a écrit dans le message news:
Xns9031BB158...@127.0.0.1...

Colin

Jan 23, 2001, 6:26:56 PM1/23/01
Aengus wrote:

> Remember all that talk last year about the Global Crossing fibre optic
> link that the Government underwrote? Does anyone know when it's
> supposed to come online?

The Irish Global Crossing leg terminates in Citywest business park, outside
Dublin. As reported in the newspapers and Business & Finance, the developer
of Citywest has decided to charge quite a hefty price for the use of his
ducts. The telcos have refused to pay this, and so most of them can't
actually lay fibre to connect to this Global Crossing capacity.

Once this is sorted out you might see some Irish ISPs using this capacity,
but apparently take-up hasn't been that great (though this might have
changed recently).

> I notice that traceroutes to a lot of US sites
> still go through London (for instance, Global Crossings own home page,
> www.glbx.net). Sites hosted with AT&T seem to travel on Cable and
> Wireless lines, and go direct to the US (via a router with a
> te.netaddress - that's Telecom Eireann, the name that they spent 6
> million on replacing with Eircom!)

Out of curiousity, what addresses are you tracing to and from?

Colin

Aengus

Jan 24, 2001, 11:50:43 AM1/24/01
Colin <co...@dalton.cx> wrote in
<2203356.z...@spooky.csdinet.com>:

>Aengus wrote:
>
>> Remember all that talk last year about the Global Crossing fibre
>> optic link that the Government underwrote? Does anyone know when
>> it's supposed to come online?
>
>The Irish Global Crossing leg terminates in Citywest business park,
>outside Dublin. As reported in the newspapers and Business &
>Finance, the developer of Citywest has decided to charge quite a
>hefty price for the use of his ducts. The telcos have refused to pay
>this, and so most of them can't actually lay fibre to connect to
>this Global Crossing capacity.

God, it's enough to make you want to cry. As if the developer hasn't
been richly rewarded by the Celtic Tiger boom, he holds the fibre that
the taxpayers underwrote hostage!

>Once this is sorted out you might see some Irish ISPs using this
>capacity, but apparently take-up hasn't been that great (though this
>might have changed recently).

I remember reading that Esat didn't buy any of the first lot of fibre
that was sold off, but if we ever get the local loop unbundled, there's
going to be a fir amount of demand for that bandwidth.

>> I notice that traceroutes to a lot of US sites
>> still go through London (for instance, Global Crossings own home
>> page, www.glbx.net). Sites hosted with AT&T seem to travel on
>> Cable and Wireless lines, and go direct to the US (via a router
>> with a te.netaddress - that's Telecom Eireann, the name that they
>> spent 6 million on replacing with Eircom!)
>
>Out of curiousity, what addresses are you tracing to and from?

I traced from this eircom dialup to a couple of US newspapers
(www.nytimes.com, www.phillynews.com, www.chron.com) and www.att.net
and www.gblx.net while I was posting, but the pattern is similiar for
other tracerts I do on occassion.

Aengus

Ronan Daly

Jan 24, 2001, 12:19:20 PM1/24/01
> >> I notice that traceroutes to a lot of US sites
> >> still go through London (for instance, Global Crossings own home
> >> page, www.glbx.net). Sites hosted with AT&T seem to travel on
> >> Cable and Wireless lines, and go direct to the US (via a router
> >> with a te.netaddress - that's Telecom Eireann, the name that they
> >> spent 6 million on replacing with Eircom!)
> >
> >Out of curiousity, what addresses are you tracing to and from?
>
> I traced from this eircom dialup to a couple of US newspapers
> (www.nytimes.com, www.phillynews.com, www.chron.com) and www.att.net
> and www.gblx.net while I was posting, but the pattern is similiar for
> other tracerts I do on occassion.

Most of the traceroutes still go through the UK and Holland, they are the
main points for incoming traffic from the US. Esat.net have a direct
connection into NY with BBN Planet. Eircom use UUNet as far as I know and
they go through the UK.

BTW can anyone else open www.microsoft.com? I haven't been able to get to it
all afternoon.

Ronan

Elana Kehoe

Jan 24, 2001, 12:46:48 PM1/24/01
Ronan Daly <ro...@72ndstreet.com> wrote:

> BTW can anyone else open www.microsoft.com? I haven't been able to get to it
> all afternoon.

Slashdot says that M$'s DNS server is down.

Nick Hilliard

Jan 24, 2001, 12:58:00 PM1/24/01
Elana Kehoe wrote:
> Slashdot says that M$'s DNS server is down.

They have 4 DNS servers serving microsoft.com, passport.com (i.e. hotmail),
msn.com, encarta.com and a few others. Either there is a problem with the LAN
(incredibly, they are all located on the same LAN), or else they are just plain
broken (considering that they are probably running Microsoft DNS services under
W2k, this is quite likely).

Nick

Elana Kehoe

Jan 24, 2001, 1:45:06 PM1/24/01
Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar#delete2email#.org> wrote:

I seem to remember reading within the past two years that Hotmail ran
Linux...but then, M$ wouldn't know how to program in Unix, would they?
:-)

Brian Kidney

Jan 24, 2001, 2:50:27 PM1/24/01
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:58:00 GMT, Nick Hilliard
<nick@foobar#delete2email#.org> wrote:

>Elana Kehoe wrote:
>> Slashdot says that M$'s DNS server is down.
>
>They have 4 DNS servers serving microsoft.com, passport.com (i.e. hotmail),
>msn.com, encarta.com and a few others. Either there is a problem with the LAN
>(incredibly, they are all located on the same LAN),

The correct answer it seems, check out

> or else they are just plain
>broken (considering that they are probably running Microsoft DNS services under
>W2k, this is quite likely).
>
>Nick

Brian Kidney
NOSPAM...@iol.ie.invalid
(Just remove NOSPAM and .invalid to email me)

Brian Kidney

Jan 24, 2001, 2:51:39 PM1/24/01

It use to, specially befor M$ bought it, but I believe they have been
busy changing over to win2k recently.

Nick Hilliard

Jan 25, 2001, 5:44:13 AM1/25/01
Elana Kehoe wrote:
> I seem to remember reading within the past two years that Hotmail ran
> Linux...but then, M$ wouldn't know how to program in Unix, would they?

It never ran on Linux. Previously, it used a front-end of FreeBSD + apache +
qmail, back-ending on to solaris database servers. There is some reason to
believe that there was an abortive attempt to port the whole thing to NT 4 a
couple of years ago, which ended in disaster and reversion to the completely
unix based system. Despite a leaked internal memo to this effect, Microsoft
denied the whole thing at the time.

At this stage, some of the FreeBSD systems have been replaced with a much larger
number of higher-powered W2000 boxes. But there's still lots of unix in there.

Clearly, having their flagship internet portal running on non-microsoft software
was a thorn in their side. However, Microsoft have had a history of using unix
when it suits.

Nick

Daniel McGowan

Jan 25, 2001, 6:49:15 AM1/25/01
Aengus wrote:

> Colin <co...@dalton.cx> wrote in
> <2203356.z...@spooky.csdinet.com>:
>
> >Aengus wrote:
> >
> >> Remember all that talk last year about the Global Crossing fibre
> >> optic link that the Government underwrote? Does anyone know when
> >> it's supposed to come online?
> >
> >The Irish Global Crossing leg terminates in Citywest business park,
> >outside Dublin. As reported in the newspapers and Business &
> >Finance, the developer of Citywest has decided to charge quite a
> >hefty price for the use of his ducts. The telcos have refused to pay
> >this, and so most of them can't actually lay fibre to connect to
> >this Global Crossing capacity.
>
> God, it's enough to make you want to cry. As if the developer hasn't
> been richly rewarded by the Celtic Tiger boom, he holds the fibre that
> the taxpayers underwrote hostage!

Actually if anyone is to blame it is the Telco's. This from a friend in the
know:

"The ducts are laid seperatly for each carrier, and they have are
re-inforced with poured concrete ( anti-JCB protection).
City West have also lost a lot of real-estate due to the numerous access
points to the ducts - they wanted to build a single large access manhole
for all ducts shared
between the telcos, but the telcos insisted on having their own shafts.
The landscaping bill came to almost 100k (replacing trees, etc along duct
runs)
So we have a worldclass duct system now in City West (on the telco's
request), and now the telco's won't pay for it, and the users like us have
no service from it. "

Nick Hilliard

Jan 25, 2001, 7:18:29 AM1/25/01
Daniel McGowan wrote:
> "The ducts are laid seperatly for each carrier,

As they should be. Imagine if there were a single ducting system throughout the
area, and a JCB cut through it. Well, gee, but all of a sudden, no-one would
have any connectivity.

> and they have are
> re-inforced with poured concrete ( anti-JCB protection).

Sure thing - JCB's cause more fibre outages than pretty much anything else.

> City West have also lost a lot of real-estate due to the numerous access
> points to the ducts - they wanted to build a single large access manhole
> for all ducts shared
> between the telcos, but the telcos insisted on having their own shafts.

The more people who access a single duct, the greater the chance of something
bad happening in there. What happens if there's, say, a leakage problem in a
duct and 6 telcos decide that they need to access the same access shaft at the
same time? Who's going to get priority over whom?

> So we have a worldclass duct system now in City West (on the telco's
> request), and now the telco's won't pay for it, and the users like us have
> no service from it. "

Given that the City-West management people refuse to allow telcos to dig their
own ducts, and given that there are a large number of telcos in City-West, it
stands to reason that the telcos _are_ paying for it.

As for "world-class": who labels it like that? The telcos or the City-West
people?

Nick