Why is selectivizr.js causing "white page of death" in IE8?

Ice

Mar 13, 2011, 6:14:05 AM3/13/11
to selectivizr
Including selectivizr.js is causing IE8 to not display/render anything
at all, but IE8 in IETester manages.

It also downloads everything, I can see that in the activity bar and
the DOM inspector. And the links are even there, I see that when
moving the cursor around the nav-area. But it doesn't display anything
at all.

The only bugfix I've found through a lot of searching is applying
zoom: 1; to body, but it doesn't help in my case.

Preview of page here: http://unf-j062.universalfavourite.com.au/about/
Message has been deleted

Keith

Mar 15, 2011, 1:14:59 PM3/15/11
to selectivizr
Can you try testing with the edge version: https://github.com/keithclark/selectivizr

Note: This is not a production ready version.
Message has been deleted

creatoro

Mar 15, 2011, 2:06:00 PM3/15/11
to selectivizr
Thanks Keith for the fast reaction, but it didn't fix the problem.

Dinis Correia

Mar 18, 2011, 3:21:13 PM3/18/11
to selectivizr
I'm having the same issue!

The weird thing is that I've used Selectivizr with no problems before.

Any ideas?

Keith

Mar 19, 2011, 1:54:08 PM3/19/11
to selectivizr
Do you have any JavaScript errors on the page when using IE? If so, do
they still occur if you remove the selectivizr script?

creatoro

Mar 22, 2011, 3:24:47 PM3/22/11
to selectivizr
I've got no javascript errors.
I've tested all the supported libs and it seems the only one that
didn't gave blank page under IE 8 was YUI 2.8.2r1.

Joel Kleppinger

Mar 25, 2011, 4:17:19 PM3/25/11
to selectivizr
I'm having the same problem, but it's intermittent. Probably only 1%
of visitors experience it. Oddly, the flash video on the home page
works perfectly... but nothing else does. I've had to discontinue use
of selectivizr until there is a solution.

Keith

Mar 26, 2011, 5:28:52 AM3/26/11
to selectivizr
Guy's I've been looking into this and I can't replicate the issue. We
need to establish what your sites have in common.

* Which version of selectivizr are you running?
* Which script library are you running?
* Are you using any .eot fonts?
* Are you using any other poly-fills (PIE, dd_roundies etc.)
* Can you remove all scripts (except selectivizr and your chosen
library) - does selectivizr run?

Ice, your site now seems to fail at DOMLoad event. This shouldn't be
an issue with the latest edge version.

Keith

Joel Kleppinger

Mar 26, 2011, 5:08:11 PM3/26/11
to selectivizr
1. 1.0.1
2. Jquery UI 1.4
3. Yes. One.
4. Using PIE for one class of buttons (rounded and liner gradient)
5. Unfortunately, doing the final test is impossible because I've
never experienced the bug myself. However, we have enough users that
we've gotten a lot of complaints. Usually some refreshing (or
clearing cache) would resolve the problem. I'm guessing that it only
happens on less than .1% of page loads. The one consistent fact is
that it happens on the first page load of the site. It may continue
happening after a few refreshes, but then it will eventually go away.
Once it's gone, it doesn't return on that computer.

Keith

Mar 28, 2011, 8:09:00 AM3/28/11
to selectivizr
Thanks for the feedback Joel, Hopefully others will contribute so I
know where to start looking.

idlesysop

Apr 11, 2011, 3:11:39 PM4/11/11
to selectivizr
I've seen an issue using v1.0.1. In version v1.0.1 there are two
variables defined in the global scope: var k=true, p=false;

If other scripts are using those variables in the global namespace, it
causes problems with the script and/or selectivzr. Version v1.0.0 had
all of its variables defined within the closure. So, this was not an
issue with the earlier version. In my situation, I reverted back to
the v.1.0.0 version.

Keith

Apr 11, 2011, 3:16:04 PM4/11/11
to selectivizr
That's a really good point. The globals were added by Google's Closure
Compiler and I failed to spot them prior to building the final - I've
already taken steps to ensure that never happens again!

Joel Kleppinger

May 14, 2011, 2:28:16 AM5/14/11
to selectivizr
Any idea if this bug is gone from 1.0.2?

Joel

liviu.mirea

May 27, 2011, 4:13:16 PM5/27/11
to selectivizr
The WPOD appears when I add the following to the top of my CSS file:

@font-face {
font-family: 'DejaVuSansBook';
src: url('fonts/DejaVuSans-webfont.eot');
src: url('fonts/DejaVuSans-webfont.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-
opentype'),
url('fonts/DejaVuSans-webfont.woff') format('woff'),
url('fonts/DejaVuSans-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'),
url('fonts/DejaVuSans-webfont.svg#DejaVuSansBook')
format('svg');
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
}

The font files don't actually exist. I haven't had the chance to test
with the files in place. I'm using Selectivizr 1.0.2, tried both
normal and minified versions on a freshly installed WinXP with IE8 and
the latest updates.

Keith

May 27, 2011, 6:28:23 PM5/27/11
to selectivizr