Open day leaflet

ed

Mar 8, 2012, 7:08:13 AM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Here's my first draft of the leaflet:

To do:
-adjust fonts and colours
-replace bitmap logo with svg logo
-add more words to the cloud

Any thoughs?

Steven Gartland

Mar 8, 2012, 11:49:59 AM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Looks great Ed.

I forgot about the meeting. Share as it seems like you all got a lot done. Would have been great to catch up as well.

Edmond Lepedus

Mar 8, 2012, 12:21:27 PM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve, don't worry too much about missing the meeting last night - its a regular fixture now. However, if it would help, I can make sure you get timely reminders over email/SMS/IM/twitter/Facebook/g+ :)

The main thing to come out of last night's meeting was a renewed push to recruit new members and consolidate the community, starting with this month's open morning.

As a side note, what do you guys think about putting together short summaries of what is discussed/decided at meetings and making them available online?

Sent from my iPad

Aitch

Mar 8, 2012, 1:11:11 PM3/8/12
to ICMPrototype
Looks good to me, Ed
I'd have made it much busier/wordy, ha ha
Only suggestion maybe, would be a 'Paste this link into your browser
for more info' type link...? [If it could be abbreviated??

Aitch
--------------------------------------

On Mar 8, 12:08 pm, ed <ed.lepe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Here's my first draft of the leaflet:
>
> <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FjHHEHzSLZQ/T1ifiA4EPnI/AAAAAAAAAF...>

Edmond Lepedus

Mar 8, 2012, 1:13:05 PM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how useful that would be on a printed leaflet, but I
could probably slap a qr code on it :)

Sent from my iPad

Aitch

Mar 8, 2012, 1:13:19 PM3/8/12
to ICMPrototype
Quote: As a side note, what do you guys think about putting together
short
summaries of what is discussed/decided at meetings and making them
available online?

Yep, if you fancy volunteering, as it was your call...and I didn't
take shorthand....

Aitch
--------------------------------
On Mar 8, 5:21 pm, Edmond Lepedus <ed.lepe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve, don't worry too much about missing the meeting last night -
> its a regular fixture now. However, if it would help, I can make sure you
> get timely reminders over email/SMS/IM/twitter/Facebook/g+ :)
>
> The main thing to come out of last night's meeting was a renewed push to
> recruit new members and consolidate the community, starting with this
> month's open morning.
>
> As a side note, what do you guys think about putting together short
> summaries of what is discussed/decided at meetings and making them
> available online?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 8 Mar 2012, at 16:49, Steven Gartland <stevegartlan...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Looks great Ed.
>
> I forgot about the meeting. Share as it seems like you all got a lot done.
> Would have been great to catch up as well.
> On 8 Mar 2012 12:08, "ed" <ed.lepe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Here's my first draft of the leaflet:
>
> > <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FjHHEHzSLZQ/T1ifiA4EPnI/AAAAAAAAAF...>

Matt

Mar 8, 2012, 1:27:15 PM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Good idea. We can put them on the icmp site J

Matt

Mar 8, 2012, 1:28:10 PM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
I was going to suggest a QR code :)

Mar 8, 2012, 4:07:22 PM3/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Where / how are you planning to distribute the leaflet?

Matthew Payne

Mar 9, 2012, 3:03:43 AM3/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

As I understand it:

I will take some over to BAE

I will send it on to the canthack group

Some are going down to UoG

Ed is going to take some to some other places (Please confirm where Ed)

Maybe Peter can send it out to the KLUG mailing list?

Anyone else think of relevant places?

Matthew Payne

Manager

Innovation Centre Medway

Maidstone Road

Chatham

Kent

ME5 9FD

01634 887282

matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk

www.innovationcentremedway.co.uk

Disclaimer
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Innovation Centre Medway. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender or call  on 01634 887282 if you believe you have received this email in error.

Edmond Lepedus

Mar 9, 2012, 3:25:48 AM3/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Well, I was originally thinking of local sixth form colleges, but I think that's a non-starter because most people will be under 18. With that out of the picture, I can't really think of anything that's a better bet than the universities, and maybe any other techy-type businesses in the area. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Matt, when you say UoG, does that include Kent at Medway etc?

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Mar 2012, at 08:03, Matthew Payne <Matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk> wrote:

As I understand it:

I will take some over to BAE

I will send it on to the canthack group

Some are going down to UoG

Ed is going to take some to some other places (Please confirm where Ed)

Maybe Peter can send it out to the KLUG mailing list?

Anyone else think of relevant places?

Matthew Payne

Manager

<image001.jpg>

Innovation Centre Medway

Maidstone Road

Chatham

Kent

ME5 9FD

01634 887282

matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk

www.innovationcentremedway.co.uk

Disclaimer
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Innovation Centre Medway. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender or call  on 01634 887282 if you believe you have received this email in error.

Matthew Payne

Edmond Lepedus

Mar 9, 2012, 3:36:20 AM3/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I can definitely do Kent, then. Am I right in thinking that there is another university on the Medway campus?

Also, have we reached a decision about moving the open morning to the following Saturday? If so, I can probably get word to Kent at Canterbury too, as I'm spending the day there on the 5th.

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Mar 2012, at 08:27, Matthew Payne <Matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk> wrote:

No, I’ll just do the Uni of Greenwich

Matthew Payne

Manager

<image001.jpg>

Peter Childs

Mar 9, 2012, 4:23:28 AM3/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
On 9 March 2012 08:25, Edmond Lepedus <ed.le...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Well, I was originally thinking of local sixth form colleges, but I think that's a non-starter because most people will be under 18. With that out of the picture, I can't really think of anything that's a better bet than the universities, and maybe any other techy-type businesses in the area. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Matt, when you say UoG, does that include Kent at Medway etc?

As far as I know, the University of Kent just does "Arts" in Medway and leaves the Engineering and Science to Greenwich, with those departments (for Kent) being in Canterbury......

The "Association" or Union for Medway is combined between the 3 Universities who have bases here in Medway, (Greenwich, Kent and UCL)

But don't blame me if my understanding is wrong.

Peter.

Peter Childs

Mar 9, 2012, 4:27:14 AM3/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
On 9 March 2012 08:03, Matthew Payne <Matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk> wrote:

As I understand it:

I will take some over to BAE

I will send it on to the canthack group

Some are going down to UoG

Ed is going to take some to some other places (Please confirm where Ed)

Maybe Peter can send it out to the KLUG mailing list?

Sure, KLUG is currently very bad at organising meetings :) So as the 31st is the week they normally have a meet I might encourage them to "Gate Crash"

Peter.
image001.jpg

Peter Childs

Mar 10, 2012, 4:18:17 AM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
On 9 March 2012 09:27, Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> wrote:

On 9 March 2012 08:03, Matthew Payne <Matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk> wrote:

As I understand it:

I will take some over to BAE

I will send it on to the canthack group

Some are going down to UoG

Ed is going to take some to some other places (Please confirm where Ed)

Maybe Peter can send it out to the KLUG mailing list?

Sure, KLUG is currently very bad at organising meetings :) So as the 31st is the week they normally have a meet I might encourage them to "Gate Crash"

Do Maplins (Chatham and Maidstone) have a notice board, can we get a leaflet in there? Also PC World etc.

Do we want to look at Business Cards?

Peter.
image001.jpg

Edmond Lepedus

Matt

Mar 10, 2012, 5:16:47 AM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Maybe some stickers would be good.
>>> Ed is going to take some to some other places (Please confirm where Ed)**
>>> **

>>> Maybe Peter can send it out to the KLUG mailing list?
>>>

>> Sure, KLUG is currently very bad at organising meetings :) So as the 31st
>> is the week they normally have a meet I might encourage them to "Gate Crash"
>>

>Do Maplins (Chatham and Maidstone) have a notice board, can we get
>a leaflet in there? Also PC World etc.
>
>Do we want to look at Business Cards?
>
>Peter.
>

>> Peter.
>>

>>> ****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Anyone else think of relevant places?****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Matthew Payne****
>>>
>>> Manager****
>>>

>>> ****
>>>
>>> Innovation Centre Medway****
>>>
>>> ****Maidstone Road********
>>>
>>> ****Chatham********
>>>
>>> ****Kent********
>>>
>>> ME5 9FD****
>>>
>>> ****
>>>
>>> 01634 887282****
>>>
>>> matthe...@innovationcentremedway.co.uk****
>>>
>>> www.innovationcentremedway.co.uk****
>>>
>>> *Disclaimer
>>> *This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are

>>> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any
>>> views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
>>> necessarily represent those of Innovation Centre Medway. If you are not the
>>> intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based
>>> upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender
>>> or call on 01634 887282 if you believe you have received this email in

>>> error.****
>>> ------------------------------

oly

Mar 10, 2012, 5:33:29 AM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
If you don't have a svg let me know I will trace one out in inkscape later

ed

Mar 10, 2012, 9:54:11 AM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Second draft is ready :)

The colour scheme could still use a bit of tweaking as the ICM part of the logo is not clearly visible. Thoughts?

ed

Mar 10, 2012, 10:04:27 AM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Draft 3 just tidies up the word cloud a little bit:

ed

Mar 10, 2012, 12:56:04 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Draft 4:

I've changed the colours of the text in the logo to match the leaflet's colour scheme better. I hope it's not going to be a problem, but if it is, let me know and I can change it back (Matt?)

Matt

Mar 10, 2012, 2:31:58 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Go for a white background so that it can be printed on the ICM printer…

ed

Mar 10, 2012, 2:53:19 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Drafts 5 and 6 with lighter colour schemes

I think I prefer the darker versions, though...

Matt

Mar 10, 2012, 3:09:27 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Yes, the dark background is ok but….

Go for a white background it you want to print it on the ICM printer. It does not do borderless so anything with a colour background will end up with an uneven white border around it.

Matt

On Saturday, 10 March 2012 19:31:58 UTC, mattltm wrote:

Go for a white background so that it can be printed on the ICM printer…

Mar 10, 2012, 3:10:14 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

I like the white one here..

Do you think it needs a few words about what ICMP is somewhere on it?

Matt

Mar 10, 2012, 3:20:45 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Lol I thought it had a few words about what ICMP is :P!

Joking aside, though, I think that most people will look at the words in the cloud and be able to decide very quickly whether it's something they would be interested in. If it is, they will go to the website to find out more and then hopefully come to the open day. If, otoh the words in the cloud do not pique their interest, they are most likely not our target audience.

Wrapping pretty sentences around what we've already got will just decrease the signal-to-noise ratio and waste people's time, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone

Matt

Mar 10, 2012, 3:24:06 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Sure, no problem.

Looking good..

Matt

steve h

Mar 10, 2012, 5:46:22 PM3/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Medway Computers on Medway City Estate will take some leaflets - ask for Dave or Tony and mention me (Steve at Medwave)