Django adapter?

renier

Feb 27, 2008, 12:03:54 AM2/27/08
to ibm_db
Will there be a django adapter coming also?

--Renier

abhigyan...@in.ibm.com

Feb 28, 2008, 6:13:36 AM2/28/08
to ibm_db
Hi renier,
Thank you for showing interest. We are looking for feasibility of a
Django adaptor. Building a fast and reliable driver was our number one
priority and then we looked into SQLAlchemy adaptor which means
automatically providing support for any framework where SQLAlchemy can
be plugged-in. One of the reasons for successful release of SQLAlchemy
adaptor was availability of abundant documentation. We need similar
documentation for Django going forward.
Any feedback/suggestions from your side regarding this, are welcome.

references:
http://antoniocangiano.com/2007/03/15/python-django-and-db2-we-need-your-input/
http://antoniocangiano.com/2007/09/04/python-django-and-db2-status-update/

renier

Feb 28, 2008, 2:24:50 PM2/28/08
to ibm_db
On Feb 28, 7:13 am, abhigyan_agra...@in.ibm.com wrote:
> Thank you for showing interest. We are looking for feasibility of a
> Django adaptor. Building a fast and reliable driver was our number one
> priority and then we looked into SQLAlchemy adaptor which means
> automatically providing support for any framework where SQLAlchemy can
> be plugged-in. One of the reasons for successful release of SQLAlchemy
> adaptor was availability of abundant documentation. We need similar
> documentation for Django going forward.
> Any feedback/suggestions from your side regarding this, are welcome.

After searching on the django website and asking on IRC, it looks like
there is no documentation for building a Django adapter. One option is
to look at the django source for the other existing adapters and using
them as a guide.

In the Django case, an advantage of having a DB2 adapter for
SQLAlchemy first comes through Tranquil. Tranquil (http://
code.google.com/p/tranquil/) plugs into Django as an application and
uses SQLAlchemy for the ORM. So a DB2 backend with Django would be
possible in that manner.

Still, it would be reassuring to get a proper django adapter in for
DB2 without needing to jump through hoops.

Keep up the good work.

--Renier

Alex P

Feb 28, 2008, 3:33:28 PM2/28/08
to ibm_db
Hi Reiner,

You may have heard this from us in similar Open Source circumstances
(Rails, PHP, etc), but consulting other existing implementations or
Django code is not an option for us, in terms of legal clearance. We
must rely solely on public, non-restrictive user development
documentation and guides in order to preserve IP (Intellectual
Property) "pedigree".

We hope that at some point someone with a vested interest would
contribute a public, non-restrictive brief subset of Django
specifications specifically for database vendors that would help us
get started and be able to run the compliancy test suite. That's how
SQLAlchemy adapter got started and implemented.

It's great there is renewed interest in integrating SQLAlchemy with
Django and the approach taken by Tranquil is quite interesting. Maybe
this will help some interested parties to get started with DB2 on
Django, too.

Thanks for the feedback and additional leads!
Alex P

Robert

Apr 9, 2008, 9:33:34 AM4/9/08
to ibm_db
Hi,

take a look at "Django adapter (alpha) based on PyDB2 -
contribution" (http://code.google.com/p/ibm-db/issues/detail?id=10).

Robert

Alex P

Apr 9, 2008, 10:41:55 AM4/9/08
to ibm_db
Hi Robert,

Have you also tried to use the ibm_db_dbi (DB-API 2.0 implementation
on top of ibm_db Python driver)? The IBM_DB Python driver, DB-API
wrapper and SQLAlchemy adapter are a different effort/initiative from
PyDB2.

Also, as we mentioned previously on this forum, the ibm-db project is
not yet setup (from the legal perspective) to take in external
contributions (a Contribution License Agreement needs to be provided).

We would much appreciate a Django vendor implementation specification,
rather than direct code contributions that we cannot yet read, let
alone patch in:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_frm/thread/80f73f8bbf93c039?scoring=d&q=ORM&

Thanks for your willingness to help and understanding,
Alex P

Robert

Apr 9, 2008, 10:19:29 AM4/9/08
to ibm_db