Controlling expand/collapse of Portal Side Navigation

Jennifer

Jan 23, 2008, 1:22:38 AM1/23/08
Hi guys,

I'm building a portal site that uses Portal side navigation for the pages, and I'm finding that controlling the expanding and collapsing of nodes is very restrictive. Basically, to expand and show a page, I need two links... why??

The default set up uses a + and - icon and generates the expand and collapse link using <portal-navigation:navigationUrl type="collapse"/>.
But to actually navigate to the page, there is a text link *next to* the icon with a url generated using <portal-navigation:navigationUrl type="launch"/>

What I want is for both of these functions to occur in a single click, exactly like the way WCM generates it's navigation controls. So I'd like to generate the link using <portal-navigation:navigationUrl type="launch expand"/>... which of course doesn't work.

Does anyone know a way to expand and navigate to a page in a single click? I find having to click on an icon to expand the navigation annoying, but I don't want them all automatically expanded by default. I'd really like this portal side navigation to behave in the same way that the WCM navigation control does. How can I mimic this?

All help or tips are appreciated!!

Jim Barnes

Jan 23, 2008, 8:12:42 AM1/23/08
Please see this technote <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=688&#38;ca=portall2&#38;uid=swg21283387">http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=688&#38;ca=portall2&#38; uid=swg21283387</a>
basically you have to use some url generation features and create your own urls that both expand and select a page.

IBM Certified System Administrator -- WebSphere Portal V6.0, V5.1, V5.0<br>
IBM Certified Solution Developer -- WebSphere Portal V5.1, v6.0<br>

Jennifer

Feb 14, 2008, 11:29:14 PM2/14/08
Hi Jim,<br />
Thanks for the link, it was really helpful, and I've managed to implement the side navigation as indicated. The only this is that on the site I downloaded the jar from it said that the code would expand a node when clicked and then collapse it when a different node is selected. But the node doesn't collapse and can in fact never be collapsed. Am I missing something?<br />
Thanks again for your help!<br />
Jen :)

Jim Barnes

Feb 15, 2008, 6:57:58 AM2/15/08
most likely you have default expansion state set to true<br />
The above is to be used when default expansion state is set to false.<br />
It is talked about here<br />
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc/wps/srvcfgref.html?resultof=%22%64%65%66%61%75%6c%74%22%20%22%65%78%70%61%6e%73%69 %6f%6e%22%20%22%65%78%70%61%6e%73%22%20%22%73%74%61%74%65%22%20#srvcfgref__cfgserv<br />
You need to log into the was admin console<br />
Go under resource environment providers<br />
then find WP Configuration service<br />
then go under custom properties<br />
edit this property<br />
navigation.expansion.defaultstate and set it = false<br />

Jennifer

Feb 17, 2008, 6:52:22 PM2/17/08
Thanks Jim, but my navigation expansion is set to false.<br />
Is there anything else outside of the instructions that I need to do to make the navigation collapse automatically?

Jim Barnes

Feb 17, 2008, 7:38:44 PM2/17/08
very odd, what exact version of portal are you on? are you doing this with the default IBM theme?<br />
Can you post a screen shot of what it looks like?<br />
also if you could send me your themes I would take a look at them<br />

Jennifer

Feb 28, 2008, 1:06:57 AM2/28/08
Hi Jim,<br />
We're on Portal 6.0.1.1, and using a custom built theme, which was built using the default IBM theme as a starting point.<br />
I can email you a screen shot and the theme files if that's possible as that would be very helpful in sorting this issue out. For privacy reasons I can't post them on here at the moment.<br />
Thanks heaps for your help,<br />
Jen

Jim Barnes

Feb 28, 2008, 6:54:57 AM2/28/08
You can email them to me at the email address in my profile<br />

khai...@sheetz.com

Feb 28, 2008, 10:13:43 AM2/28/08
Jen,<br />
I also wanted to be able to click on a side navigation page link and have it auto expand and show listed sub items without having to click on the "+ -" first and then also have it auto collapse when I click on another side navigation page link. We are using WebSphere Portal 6.0.1.<br />
Here are the steps I had to take to get it to finally work (got the files listed below from http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21283387):<br />
1. Changed the default expansion state from false to true in the ConfigService.properties file and then did step 5 in these instructions (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc/wpf/intr_offline.html) .. reboot portal server<br />
2. Changed the default expansion state from true back to false in the ConfigService.properties file and then did step 5 again like in above steps (this should now show up in the Admin Console &gt; Resources &gt; Resource environment providers &gt; WP ConfigService &gt; Custom properties) ... reboot portal server<br />
3. Saved the "URLUTIL60.jar" file to "/opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer/shared/app" folder on my portal server<br />
4. Copied their file “sideNav.jspf” and added it to our "sideNav.jspf" file in the folder "/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/wp_profile/installedApps/our server/wps.ear/wps.war/themes/html/our theme folder (I've attached our "sideNav.jspf" file)<br />
5. Remember after making changes to the "sideNav.jspf" file you should also go into your "Default.jsp" file and add a space and then take it out so that you are then required to save that file<br />
6. Rebooted our portal server and cleared my browser history before logging into the portal<br />
Hope this helps as I really like the side navigation now that I got the expand/collapse to work this way<br />
Katherine

Amit

Apr 4, 2008, 5:29:08 PM4/4/08
to contactam...@gmail.com
On Feb 14, 11:29 pm, Jennifer <Jennifer.Chand...@eBluePrint.com.au>
wrote:

Hi Jen, Can you please send me your code especially sideNav.jspf,
Styles_theme.jspf and default.jsp. I implemented the same but mine is
not working. I can't see the sub pages under page when we click on the
page but when I do a view Source I can see all the sub pages in that,
Please help since I am stuck with this problem from last 5 days,
Looking for an immediate response.

Amit :)