IDI perf tuning for JDBC DB2

Hendrik Janse van Rensburg

Oct 13, 2005, 6:53:42 AM10/13/05
hi

We have a JDBC connection to our mainframe DB2 database. When we do an
update/insert/delete/select IDI fetches "metadata" information of each table
that it has a connector configured for. I think its related to the "schema"
field. It does this every time we call the connector. This alsos means that
we connect and disconnect for every update/insert/delete/select .

My 2 questions :
[1] How can i in IDI open ONE JDBC connection to the DB2 database and all
connectors use this one existing connection ?
[2] Is it possible to disable the metadata (schema) checking when connecting
to the database for the table?

regards

Christian Chateauvieux

Dec 7, 2005, 6:20:14 AM12/7/05
Hendrik,

- I trust the JDBC connector will retrieve the schema metadata each
time it connects to the database (typically, during the AL
initialisation), and *not* during each operation (iteration, lookup, etc).

- It is possible to have one connector reuse the connection opened by
another connector. Check the connector inheritance dialogs; in the
'connection' dropdown, you'll find the names of the connectors of the AL
at the end of the list, prefixed by an @ sign. This means 'reuse
connection from..." the connector. The manuals provide more information
about this.

- The connector needs schema metadata to function properly in all
cases. If you disable schema metada checking, the JDBC connector will
not operate in 'prepared statements' mode and might fail in some
situations. In that case it will issue dynamic SQL statements to the
server, which I trust is slower than prepared statements.

Hope this helps,

Christian