A response: Call for images of Taichung protest of Chen Yunlin this December

Luby Liao: name pandas 獨獨 立立 or return them

Oct 28, 2009, 11:19:25 AM10/28/09
to i_love_taiwan
Thanks for putting out the call for photos.

The picture of Jingfu Gate (景福門) seems to have been photographed from the NTU Hospital roof and only shows a small portion of the actual crowd.

At most of the rallies I've attended in Taipei, there were people all the way down Chungshan S. Road past the hospital, lined up past Liberty Square in the other direction, all along Gongyuan Road next to the 228 Park, and down Renai and Sinyi Roads.

It's impossible to photograph that kind of crowd from any single land-based location. Here's something I wrote in an e-mail the day after the 517 rally:
- - -
> As for the numbers, every picture of events at that location look the same.
> I'd really love to see an image photographed from a helicopter -- an image
> that shows how many people are on the two roads east of Jingfu Gate, on
> Zhongshan Road down past the Name-in-flux Memorial Hall, and north and west
> up to and perhaps including the 228 Park. It should be taken just as the
> crowds are arriving at Ketagalan Blvd. Will it ever happen?
- - -

That's why I was so interested in the helicopter. I hope that it will happen for the December rally and that more than a million protesters will be there.

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:55:24 -0700
Subject: [I Love Taiwan] Call for images of Taichung protest of Chen Yunlin this December
From: luby...@gmail.com
To: i_love...@googlegroups.com

...so that images of the Taichung protest of Chen Yunlin this December will be properly documented for the world to see.

I just saw the mail with the aerial images of Taiwan. Nice stuff! They reminded me of something...

At the May 17, 2009 rally in Taipei, organizers said there were 600,000 in attendance while Hau Lung-bin said there were only 40,000:
http://taiwanmatters.blogspot.com/2009/05/517-dpp-protest-against-ma-ying-jeous.html

I was thinking at that time (and at last year's 1025 protest), "Gee, I wish somebody would have photographed it from a helicopter!" because there were no good images that showed just how massive the crowds were.

If you can do so, please put the proper people in touch with each other so that images of the Taichung protest of Chen Yunlin this December will be properly documented for the world to see.

This reminds of a similar post of mine:

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Make photos available at high resolution

Here is an amazing picture of 830 Anti-Ma rally. It is rather small at 400 x 243 and 48K. I wish a very high resolution version is available on the web, but I have not found one. With this entry, I am calling for photographers to make their high resolution pictures available by publishing albums using software such as PicasaWeb or PyAlbum.

Here are stamp-sized pictures from 809 Anti-Ma rally: http://albums.tomoro.net/Jerome/809/index4.html
At this thumbnail size, you cannot see much detail. Now, click on the third picture from the top row, and you get a low resolution picture at http://albums.tomoro.net/Jerome/809/html/IMG_1320.html. Do you recognize this celebrity at this resolution? Most don't. Finally, if you cilck on the lower half of this picture, you get the full resolution picture at http://albums.tomoro.net/Jerome/809/html/IMG_1320_f.html.
At this size: 3888x2592, 12.8MB, any Taiwanese will recognize her.