NEW SERVER IS NOW RUNNING: MANY THANKS TO CHUCK, W5UXH FOR PROVIDING FUNDING

Chuck Vaughn

Jun 22, 2010, 11:34:34 AM6/22/10
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow iCW OPS !

Many thanks to Chuck, W5UXH, for providing funding for a  PRO iCW  MUMBLE SERVER for our group !

To LOGIN into our new  iCW  SERVER  all you have to do is change two settings in your CONNECT TO SERVER screen:

   the address and the port number

the new address is:   W5UXH.dyndns.org
the new port is:             34749

icwLOGIN.jpg

to get to this screen,  all you have to do is on the MUMBLE MENU, click on Server, then Connect, then highlight the old iCW SERVER and right click and choose EDIT....change the address and port number as you see in the picture here and click OK....then click CONNECT as you usually do to LOGIN into the new server this time.

NOTE: If it is your first time to LOGIN to this server, you will be presented with the CERTIFICATE screen....just click  YES to ACCEPT the certificate and you will LOGIN right away.

Thanks again to Chuck, W5UXH, for providing funding for this PRO *state of the art* mumble server for our group !

icwLOGIN.jpg

Andrew Moore

Jun 25, 2010, 10:02:28 PM6/25/10
to i_...@googlegroups.com

Many thanks to Chuck, W5UXH, for providing funding for a  PRO iCW  MUMBLE SERVER for our group !

Chuck -- aside from the above, not sure specifically what you did or what your involvement is, but huge thanks to you for doing it.  I'm very grateful to be able to use the server - brings loads of enjoyment.

Chuck and also other Chuck - if there's anything I can do to help with it, please let me know.

--Andrew, NV1B
..

Chuck Broadwell (W5UXH)

Jun 25, 2010, 10:11:50 PM6/25/10
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Back around Jan or Feb when I started playing with iCW with Nathan (KO6U), he set up a home server for us to play with and then I subscribed to the commercial one and made people (at the time) aware of it and offered to Chuck that he could set it up for the group etc.  He only got back in touch with me a few weeks ago and then decided to proceed.

It only costs $4.99 a month and I told him I would continue paying it through this year and then we can see who wants to take it over.  The price seems very reasonable.

I finally hooked my external USB sound card back up this morning to make sure I could still do a loopback, but I usually get an hour a day at 60 wpm with Fred (K6KX) on 20M and that is about enough for me, so I don't expect to be using the server myself.  I just prefer the instant qsk back and forth qsos using the ether over the internet, but I have been impressed at how well iCW works.  Some years ago when playing with "cw over internet" I did not expect it to ever work as well as it  now does!

Chuck

Andrew Moore

Jun 25, 2010, 10:40:24 PM6/25/10
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Yes $4.99/mo is pretty reasonable.  I also agree with you about the "real time" nature of on the air QSOs.  Yes, an hour is plenty... I enjoy the convenience and high signal to noise ratio of the server, very helpful when I'm still trying to build speed.  It does work surprisingly well.  Setup can be painful, and when it's running it's not ideal, but still has loads of value.

Thanks again for covering the cost, and I'll be glad to chip in when the time comes.

If you wouldn't mind, please point me to your time and frequency for your 20 meter operation -- I definitely want to listen in.

--Andrew
..

Chuck Broadwell (W5UXH)

Jun 25, 2010, 10:47:16 PM6/25/10
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Oops: My last message replying to Andrew went to the group. Sorry
about that! I did not notice that his query came from the group address.

Chuck