Roadside skills class

1 view

Nate Bezanson

Oct 7, 2010, 3:02:25 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Repeat of an oldie-but-goodie: Winter is coming up, and now's a great time
to learn how to use jumper cables, fix a flat, change a spare, check your
oil, whatever.

This is intended for car noobs, though students of any skill level are
welcome! Happens next Wednesday, 7pm.

http://keeprolling.eventbrite.com/

-Nate-

Edward L Platt

Oct 7, 2010, 3:07:32 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I've got to fill a chip in my windshield, I'll bring it in and do a demo!
--
Edward L. Platt
i3 Detroit: i3detroit.com

Nathan Warnick

Oct 7, 2010, 3:09:37 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Heh, once we get full auto in the shop,  I'll demo replacing a windshield... plus fixing many other broken parts as I have many broken parts.

Nicholas Britsky

Oct 7, 2010, 3:09:37 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Would it be worth it to show how to change an air filter?  I know it's easy but maybe people don't know how easy it is.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Edward L Platt <e...@elplatt.com> wrote:

--
Nick Britsky
****************************

Nate Bezanson

Oct 7, 2010, 3:16:11 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely! I've got a reusable K&N, and the (somewhat time-consuming)
washing process probably isn't relevant to most folks, but that's
definitely a worthy skill. How to read and interpret a dipstick would be
good too.

As soon as we get a few signups, I'll email the attendees and ask anyone
who can't remember changing their air filter (and who has more than 30,000
miles on it) to pick one up before the class and we'll swap it for all to
see.

-Nate-

>>> i3detroit-publ...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/i3detroit-public?hl=en.
>>>

>> --

>> i3detroit-publ...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/i3detroit-public?hl=en.
>>

> --
> Nick Britsky
> ****************************
> i3 Detroit - nbri...@i3detroit.com
> cell: 248.709.3822

Nathan Warnick

Oct 7, 2010, 3:42:00 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Just dawned on me, I need to do a coolant flush and seal soon.  I have straight water currently in my radiator :\

Nate Bezanson

Oct 7, 2010, 4:02:34 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Coolant flushing is probably not relevant to a class intended for people
who've never changed a tire, but your experience in the simpler things
will be valuable if you want to help with the beginners' class. Let's
stick with "why not to open the radiator when the engine's hot" for now...

-Nate-

>> <i3detroit-public%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

>> <i3detroit-public%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Hank The Curmudgeon

Oct 7, 2010, 5:21:04 PM10/7/10
to i3 Detroit Public
Don't forget a hands-on unit on lighting and placing road flares,
pocket strobes or warning triangles... And suggest a high viz vest be
part of your kit.

Laurel Miller

Oct 7, 2010, 8:24:38 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
man! i work till 8pm on wednesdays normally! i'll see if i can swtich my schedule!

-Laurel

Nate B

Oct 7, 2010, 9:59:31 PM10/7/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, I'll be doing that this fall too, my battery just turned 5 and that's
retirement age. Okay, I'm 0/2 for potential students, let's consider
rescheduling:

http://whenisgood.net/jz7y9i

-Nate-

> Can't be there Wednesday, but "how to replace a car battery" would have
> been
> exceedingly practical knowledge for me to have, oh, last weekend... just
> throwing that on the list of possible topics.
>
> Ashley

>>> <i3detroit-public%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

>>> <i3detroit-public%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

>>> <i3detroit-public%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<i3detroit-public%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

Nate B

Oct 11, 2010, 11:03:42 AM10/11/10
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
The WhenIsGood has spoken! Rescheduled for 10/23 at 5pm. All are welcome,
please register to make sure it doesn't get too crowded.

http://keeprolling.eventbrite.com/

This is semi-tentative, assuming I'm in the country then. It's been hard
to nail down a work schedule, but I'll do my best to be here for this.

-Nate-

> i3detroit-publ...@googlegroups.com.

Nate

Oct 23, 2010, 11:48:25 AM10/23/10
to i3 Detroit Public
Bump. This is still taking place as scheduled. Hey, programming
coordinator, could you make it part of your duties to tickle people
about these things as they creep up? :) A blog post would've been good
and I totally forgot.