ERRATA.doc

michael

Oct 28, 2010, 10:38:10 AM10/28/10
to hurdy...@googlegroups.com
Following our recent discussion I have been inspired to make this long overdue update.Feel free to pass it on to anyone who might need it.
Michael

T he Hurdygurdy Method

ERRATA and ADDENDA

Page 31 The right hand
1) the base of the thumb
2) the first joint of the thumb
3) the tips of the 1st and 2nd fingers
4) the side of the ring finger.
Correction. Line 3 should read ‘the tip of the 2nd finger.’

   I don’t know how two fingers crept into the script, but there really isn’t room for two and one finger is quite adequate. The first finger has no function.

   With regard to the first stroke there is a school of playing which starts with the first joint of the thumb and ends with the base of the thumb.

Page 52. The regular three-stroke

It starts with the first stroke in line with the tail-piece, while the two following strokes are made at the strap buttons, the three points making a triangle.

Page 36. Lesson 2 the regular two-stroke

It is difficult to give definition to this stroke with the arm only, so you should help it with a quick and light movement of the finger tip, drawing it inward as in closing the hand.

Page 46,7,8. The first & 2nd irregular three-stroke and regular 4-stroke

The 3rd stroke should be given with a finger tip nudge as above.

Michael

-7.