RULES OF THE CENTRE FOR CRIMINOLOGY & JUSTICE, SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK,
TATA INSTITUTE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES – HURT
FOUNDATION NATIONAL ESSAY WRITING COMPETITION
Participants are required to write an essay on one of the following
1. Human Rights in the Present Global Meltdown
2. Terrorism: Its implication for Human Rights.
The following cash prizes will be awarded to students whose essays have
been allotted the highest marks:
1st Prize – Rs.5, 000/-
2nd Prize – Rs.3, 000/-
3rd Prize – Rs.1, 500/-
The entries must be submitted on or before 15th October, 2009
1. Participation is restricted to students currently studying in social
work Colleges/departments in India only. All Participants must be
currently enrolled as BSW/MSW students.
2. Individuals alone are eligible to participate. An essay co-authored
by two more students will not be accepted.
1. Entries must be in English only.
2. The essay should comprise of not less than 1500 words and not more
than 2000 words.
3. The essay should be typed on A4-size paper and must adhere to the
requirements: Font type – Times New Roman, Font size – 12, 1.5 spaced,
One inch margin on each side, printed on one side of the paper.
4. The use of footnotes/endnotes is not permitted.
5. Proper references in the APA reference=2
0style should be given. Any
instance of plagiarism would render the entry “null and void”.
6. The identity of the student or the college, university, institution
etc. should not be revealed in the text of the essay in any manner
1. Four hard copies of each entry along with a soft copy on a CD, must
be sent in an envelope by registered post or courier to:
National Essay Competition
Centre of Criminology and Justice,
School of Social Work,
Tata Institute of Social Sciences,
2. Each entry shall be enclosed with a photocopy of the student’s
college identity card.
3. Participants must also submit a short bio-data containing the
information: Full name, Class, College name, College postal address,
College Telephone number, Personal contact number, Personal e-mail Id &
4.The organizers will not be responsible for any loss or non-delivery
1. Each essay must be the original and previously unpublished work of
2. The essay should not have been submitted in any other competition
and/or publication simultaneously.
3. All entries shall be deemed to be the property of the ‘Centre for
Criminology & Justice, School of Social Work, Tata Institute of
Social Sciences – HURT Foundation National Essay Writing
Competition’, which reserves the right of publication of the same i
any periodical, journal, book, electronic resources or in any other
manner as it may deem appropriate.
4. The organizers’ decision as regards the interpretation of rules or
any other matter related to the competition shall be final.
5. In the event of any situation arising which is not contemplated in
the Rules, the organizers’ decision on the same shall be final. The
organizers reserve the right to vary, alter, or repeal any of the above
rules if so required and as they deem appropriate.
6. The decision of the judges shall be final and binding on all concerned