Take The Purity Test!

Dismuke

Nov 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/6/99
Hey everybody out there in hpo land! Bearster's on-line Purity Test is
back! Now we can all grovel on our knees and submit to the test so that
the Great Bearster can judge us!

I have just finished taking it. The way I figure, since Bearster banned
me from his channel without even telling me about it, the least I could
do is give him some sort of *reason* for actually doing so!

You can take the test at http://www.aynrand.nu/quiz.html. I encourage
*everybody* on hpo to take the test so they can receive word back from
Bearster as to whether they are either pre-banned or allowed to join in
on Bearster's "high level" discussions.

Unfortunately, the on-line version of the Purity Test only allows "yes"
"no" or "I don't know" answers. Personally, I found this to be a bit
restrictive. Therefore, I decided to take mine here on hpo so that I
could answer in greater detail. You can read it below and see just how
pure I really am!
Bearster's Purity Test
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
Channel Quiz

In order to sort out the trolls from the genuine contributors to the
channel, the channel owner
(Bearster) wants you to fill out the following questionnaire. With the
following questions (as in life
and on #AynRand) it's important to admit when you don't know. You will
be judged for saying
something which is wrong, but not for saying "I don't know".

Your information

Your IRC nickname: Dismuke

Your real name: I am too paranoid to say.

Your email address: dis...@dismuke.com

Group I

1.Do you think that wishing can make it so directly (i.e. without
action)?
No - first you must pray.

2.Do you believe in any gods, demons, devils, heavens, hells, magic,
ESP, tarot cards, crystals,
or Psi?
What about Santa Claus?

3.Do you think there are different realities for different people
(i.e. for individuals, groups, or
classes)?
It depends on what they are smoking!

4.Do you think that what's true for you can be false for others (e.g.
all men are mortal, grass is
green)?
But when there's a drought, grass often turns brown. And
what about bluegrass?

5.Do you think that when a tree falls in the forest with no observers
around, it makes a sound?
I can't hear the question.

Group II

1.Do you think that you can perceive (i.e. see, hear, touch, etc.)
reality as it truly is?
Yes - but only when *I* do the perceiving. I have direct
sensory link to PlatoLand!

2.Do you think that what you see and hear and touch is real?
Yes - because I can see, hear and touch in PlatoLand so it is
really real.

3.Do you think that emotion can be compatible with facts and logic?
No - but I *feel* that it is!

4.Do you think you can be certain about what you know?
I don't know. I am not for certain.

5.Do you think you can be honestly, genuinely certain and also wrong?

I can not say for certain - but I am right anyway.

Group III

1.Do you think that every is imply an ought (i.e. that fact relates
to value)?
That depends on what the definition of "is" is.

2.Do you think that some ideas are good and that some are evil?
I think that we should just all try and get along!

3.Do you think that if something feels good, that this means it is
good?
No - it is evil. And if you do it too often, you might go
blind!

4.Do you think that anyone has a moral (not a legal) duty to help
others?
A duty? No. Just a categorical imperative.

5.Do you think that lying, or cheating, or stealing is selfish?
You forgot to include cashing in on Ayn Rand's name.

Group IV

1.Do you think an individual has a right to consensual sex with a
young child?
Consensual sex? No. Not consensual sex.

2.Do you think an individual has a right to own a nuclear bomb?
Wow! I never thought of that! Doing so might be a real blast!

3.Do you think that animals have any rights?
Does that include Bearsters?

4.Do you think there is a right to basic needs (e.g. health care,
food, shelter, etc.)?
Only if I am claiming that the property rights on IRC servers
provided by others belong to me. .

5.Do you think that products like tobacco ought to be banned?
I think we should just all try and get along with each other.

6.Do you think antitrust law is fair?
I think fairness is very important. Don't you?

Group V

1.Do you like the Ayn Rand Institute?
Oh, yes!

2.Do you like the Institute for Objectivist Studies?
Them too!

3.Do you like Nathaniel Brandon or David Kelley?
I like everybody!

4.Do you think IRC channels can be private property?
I think a bunch of governmental and private organizations
should subsidize them at a loss and give them away to anyone who wants
one for free. Wait a minute - that is what already happens!

5.Do you think that moral sanction is so important that one must be
careful of giving or
withholding it?
I sell mine strictly to the highest bidder!

Group VI

1.Is there anything about Objectivism that you disagree with?
When you say "Objectivism" are you including the collected
writings of AviGDorin and Jim Kl-ayn?

2.Comments:
I have no comments. Only a question. Why do all Bearsterites
come from my-deja.com?

objec...@my-deja.com

Nov 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/7/99
Your quiz has been judged and the following flaws found:

1. Real name is incorrect (should be "Michael Duus")
2. Email address is incorrect (should be "du...@flash.net")
3. Content was judged "way too bitter"
4. Content was judged "lacking any comical content despite intentions"

Access denied.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

noi...@home.com

Nov 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/7/99
On 7 Nov 1999 22:06:30 GMT, objec...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Your quiz has been judged and the following flaws found:
>

>3. Content was judged "way too bitter"

Way too bitter? Hahahahahaha.

Sure, sure. Bearster holds bans for ages, and that's not bitter. Not
a grudge. No, no, not even. That's not bitter at all. Nope!

>4. Content was judged "lacking any comical content despite intentions"

You forgot:

5. Content did not include any begging for forgiveness for disagreeing
with Almighty Bearster.

6. Content did not include any sworn renunciation of #geekspeak.

>Access denied.

Gee what a loss, he can't rub shoulders with you and all of the other
friendly, benevolent Bearster worshippers.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

>Before you buy, get on usenet as an anonymous drive-by!

Dismuke

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
objec...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Your quiz has been judged and the following flaws found:

Hey, Bearster Buddy Brad! How's things over there at the Bearster Cult?

Guess what? Your new webpage is finally up! Take a look and see:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Bridge/8541/bradw.htm

You don't have to thank me, really you don't! Well, I'll let you get
back to church now!

Dismuke

Dismuke

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
objec...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Access denied.

Well, Bearster Buddy Brad-e-boy - being denied access to that stupid
cult you and Bearster have going on that channel is about as meaningful
to a rational person as being denied membership to the Church of
Scientology.

The *only* thing that makes the whole thing even worthy of mention - and
the only reason that your self delusional little protégé is able to drum
up any traffic at all on his pathetic channel - is the fact that it is
Ayn Rand's name that is being used to pull the whole fraud off. You
people have no shame.

Dismuke

Stephen Speicher

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
More from Weiner, or Wilson, or some other nameless creature from
that Church.

On 7 Nov 1999 objec...@my-deja.com wrote:

> 3. Content was judged "way too bitter"

This is too funny, coming from the Church where the use of the
adverb 'just' reveals a deep, dark, secret, hidden meaning from
the evil others.

> 4. Content was judged "lacking any comical content despite intentions"

Though Dismuke, in fact, writes very funny posts, he could just
refrain from doing so when fools like you provide so much to
laugh about by what you do.

> Access denied.

Aw, gee, poor Dismuke won't be able to participate in all those
'high-level' discussions. I'm sure he feels so deprived.

Stephen
s...@compbio.caltech.edu

Save the photons--don't look!

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.

Stephen Speicher

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Dismuke wrote:

>Hey, Bearster Buddy Brad! How's things over there at the Bearster Cult?

>Guess what? Your new webpage is finally up! Take a look and see:
>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Bridge/8541/bradw.htm

An interesting loop when you click on 'another website'. It seems
like a kind of symbiosis. :)

>You don't have to thank me, really you don't! Well, I'll let you get
>back to church now!

Dismuke, please, treat these people seriously, and show a little
respect--'church' should be spelled with a capital 'C'.

Dismuke

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Stephen Speicher wrote:

> Dismuke, please, treat these people seriously, and show a little
> respect--'church' should be spelled with a capital 'C'.

That's right. I sometimes forget. It is the word "cult" that does not
have to be capitalized. With the Bearsterites, both words are equally
applicable.

Dismuke

Jim Klein

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
In article <38265775...@dismuke.com>,
Dismuke <dis...@dismuke.com> wrote:

"Hypocrisy is easily the most unnerving trait common to many ARIans."

jk

Dismuke

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Jim Kl-ayn wrote:

> "Hypocrisy is easily the most unnerving trait common to many ARIans."

Well, Jimmy, I wouldn't know. In fact, I didn't even know what an
"arian" was until just now - even though you have certainly thrown
around the word often enough. Like most things in your postings, I
didn't think it was worth much bother - so I never took the time to look
it up. Tonight, I finally did. Here is what I found:

ARIAN \A"ri*an\, a. [L. Arianus.] Pertaining to Arius, a presbyter
of the church of Alexandria, in the
fourth century, or to the doctrines of Arius, who held Christ to
be inferior to God the Father in nature
and dignity, though the first and noblest of all created beings.
-- n. One who adheres to or believes the
doctrines of Arius. --Mosheim.
Source: Webster's Revised
Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Jimmy - if you want to say that these people were hypocrites, so be it.
I could care less one way or another. And furthermore, if any of them
still exist, I seriously doubt that your calling them hypocrites is
going to bother them very much one way or another.

Dismuke

Jim Klein

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
In article <38261C9F...@dismuke.com>,
Dismuke <dis...@dismuke.com> wrote:

>The *only* thing that makes the whole thing even worthy of mention - and
>the only reason that your self delusional little protégé is able to drum
>up any traffic at all on his pathetic channel - is the fact that it is
>Ayn Rand's name that is being used to pull the whole fraud off.

Now, The AYN RAND Institute...that's a different story, right? Why,
everyone knows that it's the productive ability of its leadership and the
great philosophical creativity of its contributors, which has led to its
success (such as it is). Is that it, Dizzy?

Surely nobody could reasonably argue that the legal rights to put a postcard
smack dab in the middle of AYN RAND'S books, or naming itself after AYN
RAND, have anything to do with its continued existence. Do I have that
right, Dizzy?

And referring to his Holiness Lenny as "Rand's intellectual heir," even
though she reserved the term for someone else and never designated him as
that...that isn't any sort of fraud capitalizing on her name. Right, Dizzy?

>You people have no shame.

Oh, you simply slay me! This is just too UN-fucking-BELIEVABLE!!! I don't
care what anyone says...you're the greatest, for sure among nominal
mononomials.

That's why when they say you aren't worth shit, I correct 'em...

jk

Betsy Speicher

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
On 8 Nov 1999, Jim Klein wrote:

> [whining about the Ayn Rand Institute, as usual]

> Surely nobody could reasonably argue that the legal rights to put a
> postcard smack dab in the middle of AYN RAND'S books, or naming itself
> after AYN RAND, have anything to do with its continued existence. Do I
> have that right, Dizzy?

You're living in the past. Nowadays, 75% of new contributors to ARI come
from the ARI web site <http://www.aynrand.org> and less than 25% from the
post card. As for using Ayn Rand's name, people doing a www search do
come up with the Ayn Rand Institute as well as many, many other websites
which also mention and/or claim to be associated with Ayn Rand.

The fact is that many people LIKE what they find at the ARI web site.
There are the Essay Contests that attract tens of thousand of high school
students to Ayn Rand's books, the Campus Club activities at colleges all
over the world, the Debate Project, the huge MediaLink Department that has
been so successful in getting Objectivist ideas into daily newspapers and
on the radio, and ARI's various activist projects.

There is nothing stopping other organizations with web sites from offering
the same or better than ARI, but the fact that ARI does what it does is
its real competitive advantage.

Betsy Speicher

You'll know Objectivism is winning when ... you read the CyberNet -- the
most complete and comprehensive e-mail news source about Objectivists,
their activities, and their victories. Request a sample issue at
cybe...@speicher.com or visit http://www.stauffercom.com/cybernet/

Jordan Zimmerman

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
In article
<Pine.BSI.3.96.991108...@usr07.primenet.com>, Betsy
Speicher <be...@speicher.com> wrote:

> The fact is that many people LIKE what they find at the ARI web site.

I certainly do. I'm an Objectivist Center member (formerly Institute
for Objectivist Studies), but that doesn't mean ARI is the "dark side".
Their website is very professional and useful. In particular, the
MediaLink section has lots of good op-ed material.

--
Jordan Zimmerman
Altura Software, Inc.

Stop the persecution of Microsoft and Capitalism:
http://www.moraldefense.com/microsoft

Betsy Speicher

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
On 8 Nov 1999, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.BSI.3.96.991108...@usr07.primenet.com>, Betsy
> Speicher <be...@speicher.com> wrote:
>
> > The fact is that many people LIKE what they find at the ARI web site.
>
> I certainly do. I'm an Objectivist Center member (formerly Institute
> for Objectivist Studies), but that doesn't mean ARI is the "dark side".

Quite a few people (not me!) contribute to both.

> Their website is very professional and useful. In particular, the
> MediaLink section has lots of good op-ed material.

It is an example of intellectual activism at its finest. The ARI Media
Department is headed up by professional journalists with material from a
large number of talented and knowledgeable writers.

Watch for articles by "a senior writer for the Ayn Rand Institute" coming
soon to a newspaper near you.

Dismuke

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Jim Kl-ayn wrote:

> Oh, you simply slay me! This is just too UN-fucking-BELIEVABLE!!! I
> don't
> care what anyone says...you're the greatest, for sure among nominal
> mononomials.
>
> That's why when they say you aren't worth shit, I correct 'em...

Gee, Jimmy - I know we have spent a lot of time bashing Bearster lately
and have pretty much ignored you. But Jimmy, you really shouldn't take
it so hard. You have no reason to worry. Despite Bearster's three
postings, you are in no danger of losing the title of "The Village Idiot
of hpo." If I were you, I would just sit back, relax, turn on the radio
and listen to Howard Roark Stern.

Besides Jimmy, you may even gain an additional title. You see, I
recently spoke with some of the doctors at the institution that
AviGDorin is in and they said that Avi has been making excellent
progress. Pretty soon, his title of being "hpo's Most Incoherent
Poster" may be up for grabs!

Dismuke