HLAS poor Jórvík

1 view

Art Neuendorffer

Apr 18, 2004, 2:11:21 PM4/18/04
To: Multiple recipients of list <o...@hum.gu.se>
Subject: Re: Viking-era name for York?
From: "Carl Edlund Anderson" <
ce...@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:58:41 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender:
o...@hum.gu.se

Lars Finsen wrote:

> I don't have any credentials at all, but the author of a book I have
> copied, called 'Place Names in Roman Britain' probably has some.
> According to him, the Romans took the name from British Eburacon, which
> could mean 'place abundant in yew trees' or 'property of Eburos',
> though the latter would be more probable in Gaul.
> He doesn't go on to describe the later development of the name.

     The Anglo-Saxon name was Eoforwic, changed by the
 Scandinavians to Jorvik (both vowels long: Jórvík), which
 then mutated to Jork/York in the post-Viking period.

     The OE and ON names both suggest unetymological
   interpretations of the earlier Roman and British names
        (OE eofor = boar,  ON jór = stallion).

Cheers, Carl
--
Carl Edlund Anderson