OCR old greek: accents?

Ruprecht v.Waldenfels

Feb 28, 2005, 4:42:27 AM2/28/05
Dear Philologists,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems to
be the closest I can get. I'd be grateful if directed to other, more
fitting newsgroups.

Here at the university of Regensburg we have lately scanned and
recognized some texts in Old Church Slavonic; we are working on a
diachronic corpus of the slavonic languages. Now, we additionally need
to scan some ancient Greek texts.

The problem with OCR of both Old Church Slavonic and Ancient Greek
seems to be the recognition of the accents / superscript characters,
at least with FineReader, which we've been working with.

Can anybody help us with advice? Is there better software for this
available? Has anybody trained patterns for Ancient Greek / OCS we
could reuse? What about full-form dictionaries? What other resources
are there on the web?

We're surely not the first to encounter the problem and would be
extremely grateful to others who could share their experience with us.

Thanks very much,

Ruprecht v.Waldenfels
Institut fuer Slavistik
Universitaet Regensburg

@5kent.co.uk Ed Cryer

Feb 28, 2005, 1:16:45 PM2/28/05

"Ruprecht v.Waldenfels" <r...@directbox.com> wrote in message

The two online sites that I know best for having handled ancient Greek texts
in bulk are;
1. The Perseus Project
and
2. The Little Sailing.

I've found contact e-mail addresses for both on their respective sites;
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Help/#contact
http://www.mikrosapoplous.gr/en/index.htm

Drop them a line. Tell them just what you've told us here.

Ed