Hugin 2011.2.0 released

Yuval Levy

Sep 3, 2011, 10:28:16 PM9/3/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
... not!

Hi list,

I wish this mail would be announcing a release, but IMHO RC4 is not of final
quality and I can not declare it final.

The more sensible option IMHO would be to issue an RC5. But I will leave that
decision to whoever wants to take over. There are fixes in the default branch
that could be applied to the 2011.2 branch. The processes are all documented
[0].

I won't do it for
* lack of time. As announced at the beginning of the 2011.2 release cycle,
today is my last active weekend for the foreseeable future.
* lack of resources. In August I suffered two HDD crashes. In the recovery
process I did not reinstall a Hugin development environment - a convenient way
to focus myself on my new committments.
* lack of motivation. This is a complex one, but to cut it short: I believe
C++ desktop apps will die a slow and painful death - especially those that are
so critically dependent on C++ skills like Hugin.

When I joined Hugin, more than five years ago, it was mostly pulled by one
brave and generous man. Thank you Pablo! So generous that he could not say
no, and went the extra mile and beyond to help others make Hugin work for
them.

In that same spirit, I worked to make Hugin as free as free can be; to grant
access to as many contributors as possible. I've tried to work around the
inevitable limitations and conflicts of interest the best way I could, and I
am proud of our common achievements even if I feel that there is more to do
and I am leaving unfinished work.

I'll spare the list of achievments. They would not have been possible without
the many travel companions - too many to list them here. Thank you for
sharing this section of the path with me. Maybe our paths will cross again in
the future. I look forward to it.

Hugin is Free. Hugin is yours to do (almost) what you want with it. But
remember that it is not exclusively yours. Treat it with respect and you will
be rewarded.

Good luck and good bye
Yuv

signature.asc

Terry Duell

Sep 3, 2011, 11:05:38 PM9/3/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hullo Yuv,

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:28:16 +1000, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:

[snip]

> Good luck and good bye

Good luck to you too, and many thanks for all you have done to help hugin
and the community.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

Karmadillo

Sep 5, 2011, 8:41:15 AM9/5/11
Thanks Yuv for your hours (days, weeks, months) of contribution to the
Hugin project.

It has come a long way during your time on the project. It is now a
powerful tool with a bunch of new capabilities.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Sep 5, 2011, 9:01:54 AM9/5/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I really admire people like you and I always feel I could have done more for the free software community. Thank you very much for your contribution and be sure that a lot of silent people also admire your job. You and all contributors deserve at least our "thank you".

Good luck!

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360

Agos

Sep 5, 2011, 2:20:08 PM9/5/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Goodbye. Thanks for everything, I hope to see you again someday! :)

Uwe Koch Kronberg

Sep 5, 2011, 3:39:46 PM9/5/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Yuval Levy

eduperez

Sep 6, 2011, 5:59:15 AM9/6/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You do not know it, but I have learned a lot about project management just reading your posts in this list.
Thank you very much, not only for the time you spent on Hugin, but also for the lessons you taught me.

Good look to you, too.

Jeff

Sep 6, 2011, 2:00:39 PM9/6/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thank you Yuv, for all that you've contributed to Hugin and for all help and advise you've shared with me. Good luck with your next endeavors and ... come back soon!

-Jeff

Emad ud din Bhatt

Sep 8, 2011, 1:23:31 AM9/8/11
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yuv, I really appreaciate your efforts, hardwork and time for Hugin. You have been very active and responsive. You have contributed a lot to Hugin. Many thanks for all you efforts and prayers for your success in future.

Thanks again.

Emaad

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Jeff <boyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, thank you Yuv, for all that you've contributed to Hugin and for all help and advise you've shared with me. Good luck with your next endeavors and ... come back soon!

-Jeff

Emaad
www.flickr.com/emaad

dex Otaku

Sep 8, 2011, 8:26:26 AM9/8/11
On Sep 3, 9:28 pm, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Good luck and good bye
> Yuv

Yuv,
I've been following the Hugin list here for several years to watch
developments.

I'd just like to add my own sincere thanks for the work you've
contributed to Hugin. Your presence is sure to be missed.

Best of luck in your endeavours,
DG

Tom Sharpless

Sep 9, 2011, 2:19:03 PM9/9/11
Dear Yuv,

Well it had to happen. All success and happiness as you move forward.

You have put so much energy into Hugin that it will take at least
several months to cool down. The direction you have taken it, toward
a really usable, integrated package, is IMHO the correct one, even
though I am one of those who would rather experiment in the sandbox
than deliver a finished product. I only hope we get another project
manager who will push in that direction.

Best, Tom