Smartblend wrapper and Hugin 0.8 and upward till Hugin 2010.01

Henk Tijdink

Feb 23, 2010, 11:40:12 AM2/23/10
On my Windows XP engine Hugin and the smartblend wrapper from
sourceforge works only partly.
I can use it and the output TIFF is allright. I only can make a
uncompressed TIFF.
When setting the output to a compression I get the TIFF and it is not
compressed, because the size in Mbyte is the same as the uncompressed
TIFF.
There is no EXIF info with the TIFF
When setting the output to JPEG quality 100% the file is created, but
is rotated 180 degrees (upside down).
When setting the quality to 60 % the file is created, rotated 180
degrees, but the size in Mbyte is the same as the 100% quality.
So quality is not set to 60%.
No EXIF info too with JPEG.

Am I doing something wrong?

Kind regards,
Henk

Bart van Andel

Feb 23, 2010, 3:00:54 PM2/23/10
No you're not doing anything wrong. The Smartblend wrapper actually
throws away most command line options (like compression) since
Smartblend does not understand these options. The output does not
contain EXIF information because this needs to be copied from one of
the source images into the blended panorama. This can be done using
exiftool, which is shipped with Hugin. I believe Hugin performs this
step automatically normally, except the current version of the
Smartblend wrapper modifies the output file name, so this step gets
skipped. I'll modify the wrapper and put up a copy here.

The only thing I don't know about is why the Jpeg output is upside
down, but I haven't really tried myself, to be honest.

--
Bart

Bart van Andel

Feb 23, 2010, 5:30:07 PM2/23/10
I just committed a new version, which can be found at [0]. Tested with
Hugin 2009.04 official build, but it should be version independent. It
will work with Hugin as long as Hugin does not the command line
arguments currently supplied to enblend/smartblend. The wrapper
currently strips -f and --compression, gets the output from -o and
leaves everything else alone. The readme also got an update to reflect
the changes.

By the way it's okay to include the wrapper and accompanying readme in
a future Hugin package, so users won't have to go search for the
wrapper in the svn repos themselves. I have no experience with
building such packages myself though.

[0] http://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hugin/hugin/trunk/platforms/windows/smartblend-wrapper/

--
Bart

Bart van Andel

Feb 23, 2010, 6:11:47 PM2/23/10
Whoops, I had mixed up two versions of the batch file on my harddrive
and uploaded the wrong one (which was still an update, but
incomplete), fixed that. Sorry Bruno, you'll need to merge again I
guess...

--
Bart

> [0]http://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hugin/hugin/trunk/platforms/w...
>
> --
> Bart

Henk Tijdink

Mar 2, 2010, 9:02:38 AM3/2/10
Hello Bart

The ouput file now has the EXIF info.
As I understand from your previous answer there is no compression
available due to parameter stripping , needed for enblend to work.
Can live with it and compress it later.
The only strange thing is that a JPEG output is upside down.
Have other people that experience too?

Kind regards
Henk Tijdink

Erik Krause

Mar 2, 2010, 11:10:21 AM3/2/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 02.03.2010 15:02, schrieb Henk Tijdink:
> The only strange thing is that a JPEG output is upside down.
> Have other people that experience too?

What smartblend version do you use? This was a known bug long time ago.
Could it be your exif data contains a rotation flag?

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Henk Tijdink

Mar 3, 2010, 3:52:38 PM3/3/10
Hello Erik

I'm using Smartblend version 1.2.5 of the panotools wiki.
I've tested it with pictures not containing EXIF info and pictures
with exif info with camera orientation.
TheTIFF output is OK, but the JPEG output is upside down in all cases,
even with only camera orientation stripped from the pictures.

Kind regards,
Henk Tijdink

Trev

Mar 4, 2010, 9:35:24 AM3/4/10
Hi

I am new here so I had better introduce myself! My name is Trevor, I
live in the UK and have only been using Hugin for two months. It's a
great piece of software and I would like the thank everyone who has
put the time in.

I also experience the inverted jpeg. Yesterday I downloaded a newer
version of Hugin for Windows (Pre-Release 2010.1.0.5046 built by zoran
zoric) and I get the following error:

"C:/Users/User/Downloads/Hugin5023/bin/Smartblend/smartblend-
hugin.bat" --compression NONE -f4608x1935 -o "test.tif"
"test0000.tif"
[smartblend-wrapper] Skipping compression argument and its parameter:
--compression NONE
[smartblend-wrapper] Skipping crop argument: -f4608x1935
[smartblend-wrapper] Output file: "test.tif"
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
make: *** [test.tif] Error 255

I have tried using a panorama that previously worked OK and get the
same result. It looks as if one of the parameters might have changed
or I am doing something silly!!

regards
Trevor

The version of Smartblend is 1.2.5.0 dated 25/03/2007

Bart van Andel

Mar 4, 2010, 12:46:18 PM3/4/10

Hmm this had to do with quotes in filenames, which it should now
handle properly. Get the just updated version here:
http://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hugin/hugin/trunk/platforms/windows/smartblend-wrapper/smartblend-hugin.bat?revision=5050

--
Bart

irv

Mar 6, 2010, 11:53:10 PM3/6/10
Bart, this solved one problem with the wrapper. Using zorin's svn
5046 the tif opened 'up is up' but the PNG and jpg opened 'up is dn'
and the ruler in PSE7 only showed 0 for x-y. Opening and closing Image
& Resize (doing nothing else) recovered the full ruler. Rather than
choose rotate 180, I chose vertical flip assuming it is a pixel swap
as opposed the math heavy sin-cos matrix commonly used for rotation by
a given angle--and less likely to harm any pixels.

Using hugin 0902 & 0904 with the above wrapper was not successful--
When the stitcher started Smartblend 125 the error message came up: "c:
\smartblend is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable prgm or batch file". This is with the updated hug-smart bat
file.

Another problem with 0902 & 0904 running enblend concerned the # of
frames being processed, up to 12-15 frames enblend will often complete
but if >15 frames are involved I get an error msg within 1-2 min after
enblend starts. However Hug 07 will chug along completing the pano. In
each version run I use the enblend version that was released wth it.
My camera is the D300, 12.3Mpix. My desktop runs XP and my laptop is
running win 7 with the i7 8 prcsrs.
I have no love for win 7, the virtual XP mode is not functioning with
many of my venerable math, EE, prgms & hrdwr--plus it is an effort
trying to find the old 'tools'.

As I said previously I am not a prgmr thus libpano13 is not in my
system, running nona seems fine. I would appreciate a copy of
libpano13 to determine if it would release my frame limits by using
other panotools.

Again, many thanks to all the contributors. Irving Weiner
On Mar 4, 12:46 pm, Bart van Andel <bavanan...@gmail.com> wrote:
******YES NOW OK!*******

> Hmm this had to do with quotes in filenames, which it should now

> handle properly. Get the just updated version here:http://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hugin/hugin/trunk/platforms/w...

Henk Tijdink

Mar 7, 2010, 5:35:23 AM3/7/10
I've checked my pictures too after the message of Irving Weiner, and
indeed as Irving Weiner says the output is vertically flipped and not
rotated 180 degrees.

Kind regards,
Henk Tijdink

Bart van Andel

Mar 7, 2010, 3:48:18 PM3/7/10
On 7 mrt, 05:53, irv <iweine...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Bart, this solved one problem with the wrapper.  Using zorin's svn
> 5046 the tif opened 'up is up' but the PNG and jpg opened 'up is dn'
> and the ruler in PSE7 only showed 0 for x-y. Opening and closing Image
> & Resize (doing nothing else) recovered the full ruler. Rather than
> choose rotate 180, I chose vertical flip assuming it is a pixel swap
> as opposed the math heavy sin-cos matrix commonly used for rotation by
> a given angle--and less likely to harm any pixels.

That's a strange bug for sure, but it's in Smartblend, not in the
wrapper, which doesn't do anything but calling Smartblend. Unless
there is a really simple solution to work around this issue, I don't
feel like adding a complex fix requiring other, external tools to the
wrapper.

> Using hugin 0902 & 0904 with the above wrapper was  not successful--
> When the stitcher started Smartblend 125 the error message came up: "c:
> \smartblend is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable prgm or batch file". This is with the updated hug-smart bat
> file.

Hmm. Could you remove the "echo off" at the top of the smartblend-
hugin.bat file, add a new line with "pause" at the end, run the pto
again and post the output here? I haven't seen this issue on my
machine.

--
Bart