HuginOSX SVN2612 for download

Harry van der Wolf

Jan 4, 2008, 1:09:58 PM1/4/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mac users,

SVN 2612 is available for download. On MacIntel nona works fine for
the stitching.

You can download it from:
<http://82.74.114.230/index.php?lang=en&subject=Hugin&texttag=Hugin>

Hoi,
Harry

Steve Rigby

Jan 4, 2008, 5:07:34 PM1/4/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

> Dear Mac users,
>

> SVN 2612 is available for download. On MacIntel nona works fine for
> the stitching.

I have just tried this latest binary and it does not perform the
stitch on either my PPC machine under 10.3.9 or on my PPC machine under
10.5.1. Under 10.5.1 I get an "error 2" message in the dialog box that
would have displayed the processes during stitching. I do get a .pto
file on either machine.

Steve

breic

Jan 4, 2008, 9:17:32 PM1/4/08
On my 10.4.10 PPC it works perfectly. The first released binary that
has worked since July, actually. Haven't tried Intel yet.

Steve Rigby

Jan 4, 2008, 10:38:23 PM1/4/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 4, 2008, at 9:17 PM, breic wrote:

> On my 10.4.10 PPC it works perfectly. The first released binary that
> has worked since July, actually. Haven't tried Intel yet.

Good to hear of the fact it is working for you. This latest binary
displays somewhat different characteristics on my 10.3.9 machine than
it does on the 10.5.1 computer. As stated before, neither will create
a stitch, just the .pto file, but certain things act a bit differently.
For instance, on the 10.3.9 PPC if I load in TIFF files I get a dialog
box after each image is loaded that informs me that certain EXIF data
is missing. This does not occur when loading TIFF files on the 10.5.1
machine.

I am going to be updating the 10.3.9 machine to 10.4.X in a couple of
weeks and will be seeing what Hugin does after that has been
accomplished.

Steve

Michael Oetjen

Jan 5, 2008, 4:32:59 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,
I downloaded the image, but when trying to mount on MacBook Pro with OS X v10.4.10 I'm getting an "invalid checksum error"?
Tried to download with Safari (MAC) & FireFox (on MAC and PC) with same result.

kind regards
meikel

Carl von Einem

Jan 5, 2008, 5:09:02 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,

I get the same checksum error with this version, the image couldn't be
mounted (10.3.9). How about uploading a .dmg.gz? This might be easier to
deliver for your server and is a little bit smaller.

I usually use FreeDMG to prepare the .dmg image
<http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/freedmg/>
and after that I make a gzip archive using CleanArchiver
<http://www.sopht.jp/cleanarchiver/>.

Carl

Michael Oetjen wrote:

> I downloaded the image, but when trying to mount on MacBook Pro with OS
> X v10.4.10 I'm getting an "invalid checksum error"?
>

> Harry van der Wolf wrote:
>>
>> SVN 2612 is available for download.

Harry van der Wolf

Jan 5, 2008, 7:39:38 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I uploaded a new dmg and downloaded it myself twice. This one is
correct.

It is weird though as the first uploaded 2612 version was also
correct as I tested that myself too. Michael also noted me before
that one of the earlier builds also had a checksum error. After that
one I always test before I "publish" via mail.
I just took my webserver off-line and did a full-scale fsck, but no
errors reported.

With regard to gzip or bzip2: I allready tried both. Both however
give me only an 84-89% filesize compared with the normal compressed
dmg. I did not think that was interesting (going from 23.3MB to
20.5MB) as it also requests some extra steps from users.
Thanks for thinking along though.

Anyway: Please try again.

Hoi,
Harry

Carl von Einem

Jan 5, 2008, 8:34:12 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also had no problems with earlier versions directly downloaded with a
browser running on a 10.4.x or 10.5.x Mac OS X, however last time I
tried on my 10.3.9 Mac.

The download starts with about 50 kb/sec. and is now somewhere around 20
kb/sec., so I think every MB saved counts. Both tools I mentioned allow
to drag a folder or file on it's icon, so building a .gz is a matter of
seconds. I also use Zingg to make those little tools available from the
context menu in Finder:
<http://www.brockerhoff.net/zingg/>

The user won't have a problem since normally Mac OS X automatically
decompresses an archive after downloading and if the resulting file is a
.dmg, it will be mounted. No extra steps for users required, maybe a
simple 'OK' in a dialog or a double click on the gz file.

Corrupted .dmg images remind me of other Mac specific files (pre OS X,
e.g. PostScript fonts, Quark XPress documents) transferred via email or
over a web server. Other Mac OS X software is also often delivered as
.dmg.gz and I guess it's because web servers (or something between the
file server and the client) don't know how to interpret a dmg and thus
treat such files as ascii text while they are binaries. This description
may be incorrect but I suspect something similar to happen during download.

Of course this is only a suggestion to help avoid broken downloads which
only frustrate those who want to help with testing the software.

OK, new download finished, the dmg worked now. Thanks!
However, I uploaded a gz to my server, at the same download speed that
would save about 1.5 min.
<http://einem.net/panotools/hugin0.7_svn2612.dmg.gz>

Thanks again for the builds, I will test the latest one today.

Carl

Michael Oetjen

Jan 5, 2008, 10:25:51 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,
amazing how fast you're reacting!
So I gave this version a try and the moment you want to start stitching, it gives the same problem as mentioned earlier: a window comes up and then a dialog saying "Error while executing process" If I "OK" the dialog, then I get a new dialog "Error during stitching. Error while stitching project <path & name of project>"
Same thing happens if I start HuginStitchPoject on its own (from within the Hugin package). I noticed, that after the errors the windows are disappearing, but in "Activity Monitor" the
HuginStitchPoject process is still alive. It has to be killed, otherwise you'll end up with quite some of them...
I can use applications like "nona", etc. (in the
HuginStitchPoject package) via the command line, though.

kind regards
meikel

PK

Jan 5, 2008, 11:08:00 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Harry van der Wolf, Ippei UKAI
I get a similar behavior. For me HuginStitchProject still has the window open and blocks the main Hugin GUI. Here is a stack trace:

#0  0x9412e9d8 in mach_msg_trap ()
#1  0x94135900 in mach_msg ()
#2  0x9547f668 in CFRunLoopRunSpecific ()
#3  0x92a74ab8 in RunCurrentEventLoopInMode ()
#4  0x92a748dc in ReceiveNextEventCommon ()
#5  0x00a7f928 in wxApp::MacDoOneEvent ()
#6  0x00aa12b0 in wxDialog::DoShowModal ()
#7  0x00aa13b4 in wxDialog::Show ()
#8  0x00aa161c in wxDialog::ShowModal ()
#9  0x04dec018 in MyExecuteCommandOnDialog (command=@0xbfffe2fc, args=@0xbfffe2f8, parent=0x0, title=@0xbfffe2f4) at /Users/harryvanderwolf/Downloads/software/hugin_related/hugin/mac/../src/hugin1/base_wx/MyExternalCmdExecDialog.cpp:515
#10 0x00006330 in stitchApp::OnInit (this=0xbfffe2f4) at /Users/harryvanderwolf/Downloads/software/hugin_related/hugin/mac/../src/hugin1/stitch_project/hugin_stitch_project.cpp:367
#11 0x009f8a30 in wxEntry ()
#12 0x00004410 in main (argc=4, argv=0x3000006) at ExternalPrograms/repository/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:413

Ippei,
does the HuginStitchProject app work for you?

Philipp

Steve Rigby

Jan 5, 2008, 11:39:37 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 5, 2008, at 5:09 AM, Carl von Einem wrote:

> Hi Harry,
>
> I get the same checksum error with this version, the image couldn't be
> mounted (10.3.9).

I was able to obtain a valid file when I downloaded it. The
applications runs in 10.3.9 but fails to produce a stitch.

Steve

Steve Rigby

Jan 5, 2008, 11:59:05 AM1/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 5, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Michael Oetjen wrote:

> Same thing happens if I start HuginStitchPoject on its own (from
> within the Hugin package). I noticed, that after the errors the
> windows are disappearing, but in "Activity Monitor" the
> HuginStitchPoject process is still alive. It has to be killed,
> otherwise you'll end up with quite some of them...

You are absolutely correct. The stitching project continues even as
the Hugin app has been closed. I had failed to even look for that
possibility prior to your mention of it.

Steve

Klaus

Jan 5, 2008, 5:51:25 PM1/5/08
Hello,

Downloaded dmg on XP box, transferred onto Mac (not networked)
dmp opened ok, same Intel Core Duo as before OS 10.4.8.

Executive summary: all works fine except for the "Save and stitch".
Button goes grey for half a second and then goes black again.
No activity seen running top in xterm. Did not change checkmarks
in the "Stitcher" window.

Further notes:

Noticed again these images in the background. Looked like
the anchor image placed as in the Control Point tab.

Workflow: autoplacing images, why not enable "D" as well es "DEL" key?
Would be in a more convenient part of the keyboard.

Workflow: after an initial optimisation I change to Stitcher tab
to click "calibrate FoV" and "calibrate Optimum Size" before
returning to optimizer, because only now the deviation numbers
mean something to me.

GUI: projection can be changed in panoramic preview and stitcher,
but not in CP window (where this setting affects how horizontal
control points are interpreted in the optimisation).

Again an example where preview window was black at start.
EV:13.94 -> click on EV -> image appears and EV value 0.

Comment: as the images are all same exposure I went
for "custom" in the Exposure Optimisation, doing only
camera model and vignetting.

GUI: after setting crop values in the Stitcher window,
tried to reset the using "undo" ... did not work. Minor thingy.

Having the preview window full screen, maybe an icon to
come back to the main hugin window would be useful
(yes I know about F9 and F10 on the Mac), the inverse
of the preview icon in the main hugin window.

Ooops: noticed the absence of Interpolator choice
in the Stitcher window. I do remember one pano
in particular where bicubic was not good enough.

Looking forward to the time when the "Stitch" button
will work ;-) on my box. I agree with Yuv that workflow
ideas should be on hold for this very moment ;-)

Regards

Klaus

awbrody

Jan 5, 2008, 6:22:56 PM1/5/08
SVN 2612 works fine on my MacIntel OSX 10.4.1. Thank you very much At
this point GUI details are my concern. I will certainly use this
version for stitching, although I may continue to use the stable .6
version to manually select the control points.

Bill Brody

Harry van der Wolf

Jan 6, 2008, 4:33:47 AM1/6/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Philipp,

Are you dragging Tiff's onto Hugin or JPG's? I patched the libjpeg
with the "droppatch" patch, which should correct the D&D issue with
JPEG's.
(Sorry, have no time to test/build today.)

Harry

Op 6-jan-2008, om 9:28 heeft Ippei UKAI het volgende geschreven:

> Right. Please send it to the ml. I won't have time to take a look
> at each case (my final semester starts tomorrow).
> As to not accepting the D&D, can you check the info.plist file? It
> describes the file format it can open.
>
> Ippei@back in UK
>
> On 2008-01-05, at 19:51, PK wrote:
>
>> Ippei,
>>
>> this seems to be unrelated to the way in which Harry builds:
>>
>> I dragged a set of images onto the hugin icon (Harry's svn2612
>> build). It did not accept the drop operation. I pressed cmd+opt to
>> force drop it onto Hugin. Now I got this nice crash:
>>
>> Thread 0 Crashed:
>> 0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x941b0ca8 __kill + 12
>> 1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x942557b4 abort + 84
>> 2 libstdc++.6.dylib 0x94cff7d0 __eprintf + 76
>> 3 net.sourceforge.hugin.base_wx 0x01393640
>> HuginBase::PanoramaMemento::loadPTScript(std::basic_istream<char,
>> std::char_traits<char> >&, std::basic_string<char,
>> std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&) + 3936
>> 4 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x0004e400 0x1000 + 316416
>> 5 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x00008d7c 0x1000 + 32124
>> 6 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x00032880 0x1000 + 202880
>> 7 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x000225a4 0x1000 + 136612
>> 8 libwx_macu-2.8.0.4.0.dylib 0x009f8a2c wxEntry(int&,
>> wchar_t**) + 116
>> 9 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x00020174 0x1000 + 127348
>> 10 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x000027d8 0x1000 + 6104
>> 11 net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin 0x000024dc 0x1000 + 5340
>>

>> I think this brings us back to the question why Hugin does not
>> accept images dropped at it.
>>
>> What's your thought on this?
>>
>> Philipp
>

> --
> ->> 鵜飼 一平 (UKAI Ippei) ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> MSN & AIM: ippei...@mac.com Skype: ippei_ukai
> Homepage: http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/

Ippei UKAI

Jan 6, 2008, 4:36:54 AM1/6/08

On 2008-01-05, at 16:08, PK wrote:

> I get a similar behavior. For me HuginStitchProject still has the
> window open and blocks the main Hugin GUI. Here is a stack trace:
>
> #0 0x9412e9d8 in mach_msg_trap ()
> #1 0x94135900 in mach_msg ()
> #2 0x9547f668 in CFRunLoopRunSpecific ()
> #3 0x92a74ab8 in RunCurrentEventLoopInMode ()
> #4 0x92a748dc in ReceiveNextEventCommon ()
> #5 0x00a7f928 in wxApp::MacDoOneEvent ()
> #6 0x00aa12b0 in wxDialog::DoShowModal ()
> #7 0x00aa13b4 in wxDialog::Show ()
> #8 0x00aa161c in wxDialog::ShowModal ()
> #9 0x04dec018 in MyExecuteCommandOnDialog (command=@0xbfffe2fc,
> args=@0xbfffe2f8, parent=0x0, title=@0xbfffe2f4) at /Users/
> harryvanderwolf/Downloads/software/hugin_related/hugin/mac/../src/
> hugin1/base_wx/MyExternalCmdExecDialog.cpp:515
> #10 0x00006330 in stitchApp::OnInit (this=0xbfffe2f4) at /Users/
> harryvanderwolf/Downloads/software/hugin_related/hugin/mac/../src/
> hugin1/stitch_project/hugin_stitch_project.cpp:367
> #11 0x009f8a30 in wxEntry ()
> #12 0x00004410 in main (argc=4, argv=0x3000006) at ExternalPrograms/
> repository/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:413
>
> Ippei,
> does the HuginStitchProject app work for you?

As far as I know, it has stitched my photo alright (that's why I
built my package in the first place). I've discovered those processes
were still alive after quitting hugin, but never mind that bug.
Sometimes, especially when tools are built with debug messages,
HuginStitchProject' goes not responsive (its children processes are
correctly created, so probably not catching up with the amount of
messages). It may behave differently on PPC as I'm forcing the old
QuickDraw implementation of wxMac for 10.3.9 support.

One tip for debugging is to change the LSUIElement key in
HuginStitchProject's info.plist to 0 and alias HuginStitchProject.app
somewhere. It will behave as a normal application that way instead of
an embedded agent app. It's better to separate the bugs in
HuginStitchProject and Hugin itself. As long as HuginStitchProject is
correctly launched, the bugs are all HuginStitchProject's side.

Ippei