hugin-0.7.0 released

Bruno Postle

Oct 4, 2008, 7:34:28 PM10/4/08
to Hugin ptx
Congratulations to everyone responsible for this release!

Changes since 0.6.1

Hugin has changed enormously in the two years since the 0.6.1
release, hardly any part of the code has remained untouched. There
have been many many bug-fixes, improvements to the interface and
lots of new features - Here are just some of them:

Online help

Hugin now has comprehensive help documentation for the entire user
interface, the manual now includes glossary items explaining many
panorama stitching and related photography concepts.

Languages

New translations include Slovak, Korean, Bulgarian and Spanish. This
means that hugin is now usable with a total of twenty languages.

New Assistant panel

Creating simple panoramas is much easier, hugin now starts showing
an Assistant with a simple 1-2-3 approach for loading images,
aligning and creating the final output.

The Assistant will estimate lens and camera parameters, then pick a
suitable output projection and size, advanced options are still
available for manual adjustment.

Photometric model

Previous versions of hugin and panotools had basic support for
correcting vignetting and exposure differences between photos.

This has been completely overhauled, hugin now internally uses the
EMoR model for representing exposure photometrically. This means
that the camera response curve, vignetting, colour balance and
exposure can now be optimised in much the same way as geometrical
properties such as position and lens distortion.

The result is that blending between photos is better than ever
before.

HDR

Previously hugin supported High Dynamic Range imaging solely by
allowing stitching of HDR floating-point TIFF photos - These images
themselves had to be created in another tool.

Now, thanks to the internal photometric model, hugin can now create
HDR output from normal exposure bracketed photos. The photos don't
have to be perfectly-aligned, they don't even need to be
nearly-aligned or have consistent exposure differences - The hugin
optimiser will sort all this stuff out, and the stitcher will create
OpenEXR or TIFF HDR output files for later tonemapping or use as
lightprobes.

Exposure blending

HDR and tonemapping isn't for everybody, enfuse introduced exposure
blending to the world, and hugin supports aligning and fusing
bracketed stacks of photos, perfectly, all as part of the stitching
process.

So now with hugin-0.7.0 and enblend-3.2 you can create realistic,
photographic panoramas that have no over-exposed or under-exposed
areas.

Makefile stitching

hugin-0.7.0 introduces a new stitching back-end: previously the
various stitching tools were executed directly by the GUI, now all
the commands required to generate the output are written to a
Makefile which is then processed independently of hugin itself.

Aside from easier debugging and customisation; this background
stitching allows you to get on with creating a new project while
waiting for the previous job to finish - Stitching can also be
deferred or shifted to another machine, even 'headless' servers can
now be used.

Projections

Hugin has always had the ability to save panoramas using simulated
normal and fisheye lenses, or 360 degree cylindrical and spherical
projections.

Now a whole series of alternative cartographic mappings are
available, of particular interest are the 'conformal' stereographic
and Mercator projections which can be used to show extremely large
angles of view with no local distortion.

Project templates

Hugin project files can now be used as templates for new panorama
projects. This is useful if you take a lot of panoramas with exactly
the same camera positions.

Other improvements

There's a whole lot of other new stuff in this release: numbering in
the control-point editor, straight-line control-points, numeric
transform, clicking to rotate the preview, a straighten button,
cropping of the output and probably more.

Command-line tools

This release provides new command-line tools:

* align_image_stack: align a nearly-aligned stack of photos
* pto2mk: create a stitching Makefile from a pto project
* vig_optimise: optimise photometric parameters
* tca_correct: calculate lens chromatic aberration
* hugin_hdrmerge: assemble a bracketed stack to HDR
* matchpoint: classify control point features

Control point generators

Hugin doesn't yet ship with a 'Patent Free' control point generator.
So you either need to pick control points manually - Not as
difficult as it sounds - or install and configure one of the
following control-point generators as 'plug-ins', in no particular
order:

* autopano-sift-C
* panomatic
* Autopano-SIFT
* Autopano freeware version

Upgrading

Upgrading from previous versions of hugin should be seamless. If you
do have problems with old settings, these can be reset in the
Preferences by clicking 'Load defaults'.

See the the README and INSTALL_cmake files for more information.

Thanks to all the contributors to this release and members of the
ptx mailing list, too many to mention here.

Hugin can be found at http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Hugin sourcecode can be downloaded from sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=77506&package_id=78426

Binary releases are expected to follow in the next few days.

Gerry Patterson

Oct 4, 2008, 9:11:22 PM10/4/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Bruno,

This is great!  Thank-you very much for your tireless efforts on getting this release out.

I also want to send a big thank you to all the other developers and testers in the hugin-ptx community.

Best Regards,

- Gerry

ArAgost

Oct 5, 2008, 6:13:20 AM10/5/08
Big big thanks. I had written a long, moving post about how much Hugin
has evolved etc. but my sucky internet connection eated it. Short
version, thanks to everyone involved, Hugin rocks big time. Waiting
for the binaries/packages/installers to spread the words to the less
techie friends :)
> Hugin can be found athttp://hugin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hugin sourcecode can be downloaded from sourceforge:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=77506&package_...

Erik Krause

Oct 5, 2008, 6:01:32 PM10/5/08
to hugin-ptx
Am Sunday, October 05, 2008 um 0:34 schrieb Bruno Postle:

> Binary releases are expected to follow in the next few days.

I'd be very grateful if there where some. Best available from one
place - preferable the sourceforge download page. As soon as there
are binaries please announce on PanotoolsNG and other locations as
well!

Many thanks for the great work!

best regards
--
Erik Krause
Offenburger Str. 33

Bruno Postle

Oct 5, 2008, 6:29:43 PM10/5/08
to Hugin ptx
On Mon 06-Oct-2008 at 00:01 +0200, Erik Krause wrote:
>Am Sunday, October 05, 2008 um 0:34 schrieb Bruno Postle:
>
>> Binary releases are expected to follow in the next few days.
>
>I'd be very grateful if there where some. Best available from one
>place - preferable the sourceforge download page. As soon as there
>are binaries please announce on PanotoolsNG and other locations as
>well!

Yes, will do.

I expect to see an OS X .dmg soon, but for Windows somebody (not me)
needs to create an installer - See Yuval's email, subject: "Misc
release stuff".

--
Bruno

Yuval Levy

Oct 5, 2008, 11:36:00 PM10/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
congratulations to everybody who has contributed to the 0.7.0 release.

Bruno Postle wrote:
> for Windows somebody (not me)
> needs to create an installer - See Yuval's email, subject: "Misc
> release stuff".

to repeat again: the instructions and the code for the installer are in
SVN. I'll be happy to coach whoever steps in. If nobody steps in I infer
that the need is not important enough.

As far as I am concerned, my need is to progres on 0.7.1.

- I have updated the Windows SDK to build gsoc2008_integration branch.
It will be published when the gsoc2008_integration branch will become
the new trunk.
- for this, the gsoc2008_integration branch need first be updated with
the fixes that have gone into trunk since branching
- Tim is working to solve a bug with OSX before integrating Celeste into
gsoc2008_integration
- IMO it is too early for Fahim's and Onur's projects, so once Tim has
integrated Celeste I propose that we release the gsoc_integration branch
as 0.7.1 beta 1. It would be neat if we can pull this together as a
Christmas present.

an area that IMO is very important and requires attention is
*documentation* of the code. We need a similar effort like the one we
did last year with the documentation of the build, so that future
contributors (e.g. participants to the next Summer of Code) can get
quickly into the code. Something like a top down approach, from a simple
description of the repository and its different folders, down to a file
level and a class level, with and with the architetural decisions
documented as well.

thoughts?
Yuv

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 6, 2008, 7:01:12 AM10/6/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Bruno,

I just built the final 0.7.0 but I receive a "non-fatal" exiftool error in the end (maker notes not recognised) for some sets of images. for other sets it works OK even though none of the sets do contain maker notes (beats me). I will investigate that one before release. As it is a "non-fatal" error (exif-info for generated image not updated) I might still release it if I can't solve it (which I probably can't)

Harry

Ippei UKAI

Oct 6, 2008, 10:06:41 AM10/6/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Mac binary is up.
Please note the autopano-sift-c plugin is also recompiled with a patch
to handle spaces in path. Please install it again.

Ippei

--
->> 鵜飼 一平 (UKAI Ippei) ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
MSN & AIM: ippei...@mac.com Skype: ippei_ukai

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 6, 2008, 10:42:26 AM10/6/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Ippei,

for the RC6 George Row mentioned:

>However each time there has been an error message at the end saying
>that "There has been a stitching error - please report the whole
>text" (at least I THINK that is what it said I have sent it away now.
>
>I have the text in case it is needed ... but I suspect that there has
>NOT been an error really and that the pop-up is a false alarm.

I got the non-fatal error for the exif-tool as mentioned in this thread. I think George got the same error. Shouldn't we investigate that one before putting a binary up? One day more or less doesn't matter and I prefer to put a good binary up otherwise many users might complain that the 0.7.0 still contains an error. Especially new users might turn away when they encounter such an error which might even result in "bad press (reviews)" for Hugin on the web.

Harry

Tom Sharpless

Oct 6, 2008, 3:46:13 PM10/6/08
Hi Mac fans

One way to deal with exiftool problems is to not use exiftool.

Some time ago I put a patch on the hugin tracker that makes running
exiftool an option in the preferences tab. I was told I couldn't
commit because it would introduce a UI label needing translation, and
there was a pre-release "translation freeze" in effect. So it has
only been tested on Win32, but as it works just like several other
options I would expect no platform dependence.

I suppose applying that patch to 0.7.0 would be violating some other
release regulation; but I am going to do it for my personal builds
(both Windows and Linux) because I have little use or admiration for
exiftool.

You might want to do the same.

Regards, Tom.

On Oct 6, 10:42 am, "Harry van der Wolf" <hvdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ippei,
>
> for the RC6 George Row mentioned:
>
> >However each time there has been an error message at the end saying
> >that "There has been a stitching error - please report the whole
> >text" (at least I THINK that is what it said I have sent it away now.
>
> >I have the text in case it is needed ... but I suspect that there has
> >NOT been an error really and that the pop-up is a false alarm.
>
> I got the non-fatal error for the exif-tool as mentioned in this thread. I
> think George got the same error. Shouldn't we investigate that one before
> putting a binary up? One day more or less doesn't matter and I prefer to put
> a good binary up otherwise many users might complain that the 0.7.0 still
> contains an error. Especially new users might turn away when they encounter
> such an error which might even result in "bad press (reviews)" for Hugin on
> the web.
>
> Harry
>
> 2008/10/6 Ippei UKAI <ippei_u...@mac.com>

> > > Yes, will do.
>
> > > I expect to see an OS X .dmg soon, but for Windows somebody (not me)
> > > needs to create an installer - See Yuval's email, subject: "Misc
> > > release stuff".
>
> > Mac binary is up.
> > Please note the autopano-sift-c plugin is also recompiled with a patch
> > to handle spaces in path. Please install it again.
>
> > Ippei
>
> > --
> > ->> 鵜飼 一平 (UKAI Ippei) ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > MSN & AIM: ippei_u...@mac.com Skype: ippei_ukai
> > Homepage: http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/

Bruno Postle

Oct 6, 2008, 4:49:06 PM10/6/08
to Hugin ptx
On Sun 05-Oct-2008 at 23:36 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:

>- IMO it is too early for Fahim's and Onur's projects, so once Tim has
>integrated Celeste I propose that we release the gsoc_integration branch
>as 0.7.1 beta 1. It would be neat if we can pull this together as a
>Christmas present.

Fourteen months should be plenty of time...

My only comment is that 0.7.x is what we call the bugfix release
when 0.7.0 has problems, so the gsoc feature release is 0.8.0.

--
Bruno

Gerry Patterson

Oct 6, 2008, 7:10:09 PM10/6/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Bruno,

If you plan on making a 0.7.1 release that is primarily bug fixes, would a branch at this point make sense?  This would allow developers to start making other changes to the trunk.  I have been working on a bracketed exposure interface and was waiting on the 0.7.0 release before posting it.  I agree the gsoc integration should be 0.8.0 as well.

- Gerry

Ippei UKAI

Oct 6, 2008, 10:22:37 PM10/6/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 2008-10-06, at 23:42, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

Ippei,

for the RC6 George Row mentioned:

>However each time there has been an error message at the end saying
>that "There has been a stitching error - please report the whole
>text" (at least I THINK that is what it said I have sent it away now.
>
>I have the text in case it is needed ... but I suspect that there has
>NOT been an error really and that the pop-up is a false alarm.

I got the non-fatal error for the exif-tool as mentioned in this thread. I think George got the same error. Shouldn't we investigate that one before putting a binary up? One day more or less doesn't matter and I prefer to put a good binary up otherwise many users might complain that the 0.7.0 still contains an error. Especially new users might turn away when they encounter such an error which might even result in "bad press (reviews)" for Hugin on the web.

I thought George's report was on a separate bug where wx execute hack on PPC affecting even the case that doesn't need the hack hence leading to the error. The real question is whether ExifTool's minor error actually leads to displaying the error message on Hugin even on Intel. If so, that's something we should look at. Otherwise, it's just a limitation of ExifTool to me.

As to the 'press', quality assurance-wise I actually have a very low expectation from 0.7.0 anyway. Let alone problematic wxMac, as I have made it clear when we started to use makefile for stitching, use of multiple executables can easily become a nightmare. Having separate command line executables may be easier to get something working in first instance (and certainly is preferred way by Linux users), but it is hard to make sure it works for 'all' users. Unexpected errors are thrown out from components (command line programs) that normal users are not expected to touch, and there are inter-process interactions that is much harder to debug. If one programmed those components in a good style having modularity in mind, using that components through API should be as easy as calling those as external executables. I still remember the time and effort trying to get old PTOptimiser executable work from Hugin; we ended up using the functionality directly from libpano after all. I'm quite happy that 0.7.0 finally works for 'most' Mac users now, and I know from the past that quality assurance beyond this point will be an inefficient process that I'm not willing to afford much time.

Ippei

Pablo d'Angelo

Oct 7, 2008, 2:54:54 PM10/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruno,

Bruno Postle wrote:

> Congratulations to everyone responsible for this release!

Thanks a lot for doing the final hard work for making the release
possible. Also thanks to all other developers who made this happen. I
have been very busy with day time work and other commitments lately, so
I didn't have the time to really contribute to hugins development lately.

As for the further development, I agree with Garry that we should do an
svn cp hutin/trunk hugin/branches/release-0.7.0
to create a stable branch, which could be used for urgent bugfixes,
should the need occur.

We could then merge the gsoc_integration branch into the trunk and
contine developing the new functionality for the 0.8 release.

Any objections?

ciao
Pablo

Gerry Patterson

Oct 7, 2008, 3:10:06 PM10/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Pablo d'Angelo <pablo....@web.de> wrote:

We could then merge the gsoc_integration branch into the trunk and
contine developing the new functionality for the 0.8 release.

Any objections?

ciao
  Pablo

Hi all,

I haven't been watching the GSOC integration branch very much.  Have all of the projects been merged in?  At one point I thought the plan was to merge all of the projects into a single branch, get everything (or most everything) working then merge it wholesale into the trunk.  It does not matter much to me if the GSOC projects are brought now or when the integration branch is finished.  I just don't want to lose track of where the up to date changes are.

Best Regards,

- Gerry

Pablo d'Angelo

Oct 7, 2008, 5:13:08 PM10/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Gerry Patterson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Pablo d'Angelo <pablo....@web.de
> <mailto:pablo....@web.de>> wrote:
>

> We could then merge the gsoc_integration branch into the trunk and
> contine developing the new functionality for the 0.8 release.
>
> Any objections?
>
> ciao
> Pablo
>

> Hi all,
>
> I haven't been watching the GSOC integration branch very much. Have all
> of the projects been merged in?

No, only the OpenGL preview and the batch stitching functionality is in
the GSOC integration branch.

> At one point I thought the plan was to
> merge all of the projects into a single branch, get everything (or most
> everything) working then merge it wholesale into the trunk.

The most important reason was that integration could start while the
last changes for the 0.7 release were made. Having all projects in there
before the next release series 0.8 would be one possibility, but I fear
it would introduce some delays.

> It does not
> matter much to me if the GSOC projects are brought now or when the
> integration branch is finished. I just don't want to lose track of
> where the up to date changes are.

To avoid delays and expose the new functionality earlier, I'd favor an
early merge of the gsoc integration branch into the trunk. Once the
remaining projects are ready for a merge, they can be merged into the
trunk directly.

ciao
Pablo

Bruno Postle

Oct 7, 2008, 6:00:39 PM10/7/08
to Hugin ptx
On Tue 07-Oct-2008 at 20:54 +0200, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

>As for the further development, I agree with Garry that we should do an
>svn cp hutin/trunk hugin/branches/release-0.7.0
>to create a stable branch, which could be used for urgent bugfixes,
>should the need occur.

Ok, done based on rc6/final. I didn't copy the trunk as there have
been some (minor) changes to the trunk since the rc6/final release.

>We could then merge the gsoc_integration branch into the trunk and
>contine developing the new functionality for the 0.8 release.

Makes sense to me, who wants to do this? Probably there will be
some conflicts.

--
Bruno

Yuval Levy

Oct 7, 2008, 6:50:07 PM10/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Tom Sharpless wrote:
> One way to deal with exiftool problems is to not use exiftool.
>
> Some time ago I put a patch on the hugin tracker that makes running
> exiftool an option in the preferences tab. I was told I couldn't
> commit because it would introduce a UI label needing translation, and
> there was a pre-release "translation freeze" in effect. So it has
> only been tested on Win32, but as it works just like several other
> options I would expect no platform dependence.
>
> I suppose applying that patch to 0.7.0 would be violating some other
> release regulation; but I am going to do it for my personal builds
> (both Windows and Linux) because I have little use or admiration for
> exiftool.

now that 0.7.0 is released, trunk is in a state of flux again. I'd say:
go ahead and commit the patch.

also for the future I would suggest branching out release branches (like
has been done now with release-0.7.0) rather than freezing trunk. Trunk
should live on.

Yuv

Yuval Levy

Oct 7, 2008, 8:41:53 PM10/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

done (on my local machine for now - I am testing the build before
committing).

there was only one file with a conflict, an xrc file (sorry I no longer
recall which, but if it is important I'll grab that piece of information).

will commit later if the build does not return strange things.

Yuv

Yuval Levy

Oct 7, 2008, 8:53:37 PM10/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> > It does not
>> matter much to me if the GSOC projects are brought now or when the
>> integration branch is finished. I just don't want to lose track of
>> where the up to date changes are.
>
> To avoid delays and expose the new functionality earlier, I'd favor an
> early merge of the gsoc integration branch into the trunk. Once the
> remaining projects are ready for a merge, they can be merged into the
> trunk directly.

each project's circumstances are unique, waiting for all of them to be
ready for a big bang is IMO not very sensible.

let's release every time a bunch of features becomes somewhat usable /
integrated so to get more user feedback on the way to robustness.

specifically, the fast preview and the batch processor have already been
integrated in gsoc2008_integration, and will go into 0.8.0alpha1 if
nobody disagrees.

Celeste is next in line. Tim has been working hard hard lately with help
from Harry, trying to fix a weird behavior in OSX GUI.

for the last two projects I have not seen much from Fahim and Onur after
GSoC ended. The circumstances are different too.

Fahim / Masking in GUI: we need to think how it will fit in the overall
hugin process, while Fahim's project still need some fine tuning too
according to him.

Onur / Feature Matching is a quite complex project. the parts need to be
pulled together with Zoran's last year project. still a lot of work
before anything can be integrated.

Yuv

Peter Gawthrop

Oct 8, 2008, 4:54:07 AM10/8/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, pablo....@web.de
Deal all,

now that we have a release, I would like to express my sincere
thanks to Pablo and the team for making it all possible. Hugin is
an integral part of my photography now; I couldn't do without it.

As my contribution, I have now published a sequence of articles in
a Royal Photographic Society (UK) magazine to spread the word about
hugin locally; and I think that it is getting out amongst the UK
photographers.

Peter.

Peter Gawthrop

pe...@gawthrop.net
http://www.lightspacewater.net

> This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
> http://www.netintelligence.com/email

grow

Oct 8, 2008, 10:06:20 AM10/8/08
Ippei, Harry,

I have just tried Ippei's new release.

I installed it on my PowerMac G5 machine.
I also installed your new Autopano-SIFT-C plug-in replacing the
previous one in "Application Support"

I opened a recent project and tried using Autopano-SIFT-C to generate
a few control points ... the plugin selection dialogue was as expected
and then the running commentary seemed to go as usual but at the end
a pop-up appeared saying:
weExecute Error
Could not execute command /.../Application Support/Hiugin/
Autopano=SIFT-C 2.5.huginAutoCP/Contents/macOS/autopano-sift-c --
maxmatches 3 /private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/ap_resJOqSkP /
private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/ap_inprojrLDkvr

I tried the same task in the same project using an older version
(SVN-3390) and - even with the new Autopano-SIFT plug-in still in
place - it ran normally and generated the control points as
requested.

I am not sure whether this tells you anything you didn't already know.

all the best

George
> > 2008/10/6 Ippei UKAI <ippei_u...@mac.com>

> > > Yes, will do.
>
> > > I expect to see an OS X .dmg soon, but for Windows somebody (not me)
> > > needs to create an installer - See Yuval's email, subject: "Misc
> > > release stuff".
>
> > Mac binary is up.
> > Please note the autopano-sift-c plugin is also recompiled with a patch
> > to handle spaces in path. Please install it again.
>
> > Ippei
>
> > --
> > ->> 鵜飼 一平 (UKAI Ippei) ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > MSN & AIM: ippei_u...@mac.com Skype: ippei_ukai
> > Homepage: http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/
>
> --
> ->> 鵜飼 一平 (UKAI Ippei) ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> MSN & AIM: ippei_u...@mac.com Skype: ippei_ukai
> Homepage: http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/

grow

Oct 8, 2008, 3:10:46 PM10/8/08
PS having generated control points with an earlier version of Hugin I
was able to save the project file and then open it in the current,
released version. It then performed a stitch as expected producing a
resulting file that I was happy with. However ... it ended the
stitching process with a pop-up that said:

Error during Stitching
Error during Stitching
Please report the complere text to the bug tracker on http://sf.net/projects/hugin.

all the best

George

JensLH

Oct 12, 2008, 6:38:13 AM10/12/08
Are there any news on a Windows installer on sourceforge? I am eager
to try it out!

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 13, 2008, 1:51:07 PM10/13/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Sorry for replying this late. I hoped Ippei would pick it up and than I forgot about it.

This final error you mention is most probably a "non-fatal" error by Exiftool.
I reported on 6 October:

"I just built the final 0.7.0 but I receive a "non-fatal" exiftool error in the end (maker notes not recognised) for some sets of images. for other sets it works OK even though none of the sets do contain maker notes (beats me). I will investigate that one before release. As it is a "non-fatal" error (exif-info for generated image not updated) I might still release it if I can't solve it (which I probably can't)"

I suppose that if you look at the error a bit more in detail (the window stays open anyway), that it might be the same or one alike for Exiftool.

I have been experimenting with sips lately (for my ImageFuser). sips is the comand line version of "Image Events"  on Apple. It can do 90% of what Exiftool can and is standard available on every Mac (>10.2).

Just like Tom Sharpless mentions: it might be wise to get rid of Exiftool, even though as such it is a great cross-platform tool.

Getting back to your Autpano-sift-C issue:
The command line mentions: /.../Application Support/Hiugin/Autopano=SIFT-C 2.5.huginAutoCP/Contents/
macOS/autopano-sift-c --maxmatches 3

It says: "port/Hiugin/Auto"  <-- Hiugin???
It also says: "ano=SIFT" <-- Did you copy&paste this or did you type it over?
and also says: "--maxmatches 3" <-- maxmatches is not given to the plugin, so it should stick to the default which is 25. This is another weird issue.

I can't find the "Hiugin" in my source code.
(This is also why I hoped Ippei would react).

Harry

paolobenve

Oct 14, 2008, 5:37:09 PM10/14/08
Thanks all the developpers and contributors for 0.7.0!!!!

Kiikonen

Oct 26, 2008, 10:31:49 AM10/26/08
Hi.

Thanks a lot for your great effort on upgrading this awesome software!
I'm just having overwhelming difficulties to set it up on my Ubuntu.
I'm a quite new Ubuntu user and would like to make things in the
straight and easy way. (at least the easy way for me...) So I'd like
to ask that could this new version of Hugin be distributed in the
package manager? (synaptic or "add and remove applications") Or is
there some reason that Hugin couldn't be able to be installed just
like any other application, from the package manager?

I've tried out the cmake-thing, inserted the command
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
but it only returns with these rows:

kiikonen@A8SC-Kiikonen:~$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- broken
CMake Error: The C compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" is not able to compile a
simple test program.
It fails with the following output:
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/
CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o
/usr/bin/gcc -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o -
c /home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c
/home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c:4:19: error:
stdio.h: No such file or directory
/home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c: In function
‘main’:
/home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c:12: warning:
incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or
name.
-- Configuring done

I feel like I must be missing something very simple that every linux
user really should know, but as a newbie I just can't figure it out.
If someone has time for this kind of helplessness, I would be really
pleased to have a little guidance in upgrading my panorama
photography!

Thank you!

Kornel Benko

Oct 26, 2008, 10:48:42 AM10/26/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am Sonntag 26 Oktober 2008 schrieb Kiikonen:

> Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o
> /usr/bin/gcc   -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o   -
> c /home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c
> /home/kiikonen/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c:4:19: error:
> stdio.h: No such file or directory

As you can see, there is not even stdio.h on your system.
(This is part of "libc6-dev" package of ubuntu).

But be warned, you will need some more packages installed, as it seems, you
never compiled anything on your system. (Just a guess)

Kornel

--
Kornel Benko
Kornel...@berlin.de

signature.asc

Kiikonen

Oct 27, 2008, 8:55:33 AM10/27/08
Ok...

I expected something just like this, thank you!

So I'll just try to install all packages necessary, first this "libc6-
dev", and then try to figure out the rest.

Trying to carry on, thanks a lot!

grow

Oct 27, 2008, 2:56:09 PM10/27/08
Harry,

Sorry I am even later spotting your reply than you were in replying to
my original message. I am just back from a trip and doing a check on
here for things that might have been posted while I was away and I
noticed it.

Yes. The as the pop-up with the error message is not selectable/Copy-
paste-able I (mis-)typed it in.

So I guess that should have been "Hugin" and NOT "Hiugin"
and "Autopano-SIFT" NOT "Autopano=SIFT"

I was going to suggest that making the text of all pop-ups with errors
"selectable" would make debugging easier!

all the best

George

On Oct 13, 5:51 pm, "Harry van der Wolf" <hvdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> Sorry for replying this late. I hoped Ippei would pick it up and than I
> forgot about it.
>
> This final error you mention is most probably a "non-fatal" error by
> Exiftool.
> I reported on 6 October:
> *"I just built the final 0.7.0 but I receive a "non-fatal" exiftool error in
> the end (maker notes not recognised) for some sets of images. for other sets
> it works OK even though none of the sets do contain maker notes (beats me).
> I will investigate that one before release. As it is a "non-fatal" error
> (exif-info for generated image not updated) I might still release it if I
> can't solve it (which I probably can't)"*
>
> I suppose that if you look at the error a bit more in detail (the window
> stays open anyway), that it might be the same or one alike for Exiftool.
>
> I have been experimenting with sips lately (for my ImageFuser). sips is the
> comand line version of "Image Events" on Apple. It can do 90% of what
> Exiftool can and is standard available on every Mac (>10.2).
>
> Just like Tom Sharpless mentions: it might be wise to get rid of Exiftool,
> even though as such it is a great cross-platform tool.
>
> Getting back to your Autpano-sift-C issue:
> The command line mentions: /.../Application Support/Hiugin/Autopano=SIFT-C
> 2.5.huginAutoCP/Contents/macOS/autopano-sift-c --maxmatches 3
>
> It says: "port/Hiugin/Auto" <-- Hiugin???
> It also says: "ano=SIFT" <-- Did you copy&paste this or did you type it
> over?
> and also says: "--maxmatches 3" <-- maxmatches is not given to the plugin,
> so it should stick to the default which is 25. This is another weird issue.
>
> I can't find the "Hiugin" in my source code.
> (This is also why I hoped Ippei would react).
>
> Harry

Kiikonen

Oct 29, 2008, 3:02:23 AM10/29/08
Ok, now I found the Panotools' step-by-step instructions on how to
compile hugin and all other relevent programs and I think I made it,
hugin opens normally. Of course, autopano-sift throws me with error
code 255 and now I'll search the internet for answer on that.