Hugin-0.7.0-rc2 for Windows available at tksharpless.net

Tom Sharpless

Aug 13, 2008, 4:57:03 PM8/13/08
Hi All

I too just built Release Candidate 2 for Windows. You can get the
self extracting archive at http://tksharpless.com (click on download
link). There is a compatible autopano-sift-c.exe (the program, not an
archive) there too.

Cheers, Tom

Steeve

Aug 13, 2008, 5:30:13 PM8/13/08
Tom

Thanks for your continued efforts... For the benefit of anybody else
who does not read the 'subject line' and just clicks on the link, I
assume the link should be tksharpless.net and not .com.. and that the
FTP login is the same as before.

I've been using an earlier version (0.7.0.3051) for so time, since it
has worked reliably... but thought I at least owed it to the group to
test the release candidate..

Regards
Stephen

On Aug 13, 9:57 pm, Tom Sharpless <TKSharpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I too just built Release Candidate 2 for Windows.  You can get the
> self extracting archive athttp://tksharpless.com(click on download

Tom Sharpless

Aug 15, 2008, 1:40:54 PM8/15/08
Hi Stephen

Ooops. Yes, the ftp site is at tksharpless.net, not tksharpless.com
(all you'll see there are linescan panoramas).

Here is a direct link: ftp://tksftp:TKS...@tksharpless.net. Google
will probably butcher that link, so here are the explicit ftp
parameters:
Server: tksharpless.net
Username: tksftp
Password: TKSpwd1

Regards, Tom

On Aug 13, 5:30 pm, Steeve <smb....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Tom
>
> Thanks for your continued efforts... For the benefit of anybody else
> who does not read the 'subject line' and just clicks on the link, I
> assume the link should be tksharpless.net and not .com.. and that the
> FTP login is the same as before.
>
> I've been using an earlier version (0.7.0.3051) for so time, since it
> has worked reliably... but thought I at least owed it to the group to
> test the release candidate..
>
> Regards
> Stephen
>
> On Aug 13, 9:57 pm, Tom Sharpless <TKSharpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All
>
> > I too just built Release Candidate 2 for Windows. You can get the
> > self extracting archive athttp://tksharpless.com(clickon download

Steeve

Aug 18, 2008, 3:52:33 AM8/18/08
Tom

I get problems with this build which I did not get previously.. I
can't see anything similar in Bug Tracker.. so here are the details

Using Hugin 0.7.0.RC2 (TKSharpless)

Open Hugin, and add images, then press [Create Control Points] button.
Immedaitely get,

Unhandled exception at 0x007fc872 in hugin.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0xc7176358.

Sixteen 10MPixel images are okay, but twenty crashes.. This is 100%
repeatible.

Since there is no debug information in the bin file I can't really
give you anymore details..

I'm using Windows XP with 1GB of RAM.

Previously I have been using 0.7.0.3051 from Yuv.. This works on these
same files.

Regards
Stephen

On Aug 15, 6:40 pm, Tom Sharpless <TKSharpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stephen
>
> Ooops.  Yes, the ftp site is at tksharpless.net, not tksharpless.com
> (all you'll see there are linescan panoramas).
>
> Here is a direct link: ftp://tksftp:TKSp...@tksharpless.net.  Google
> will probably butcher that link, so here are the explicit ftp
> parameters:
>   Server:       tksharpless.net
>   Username: tksftp
>   Password: TKSpwd1
>
> Regards, Tom
>
> On Aug 13, 5:30 pm, Steeve <smb....@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Tom
>
> > Thanks for your continued efforts... For the benefit of anybody else
> > who does not read the 'subject line' and just clicks on the link, I
> > assume the link should be tksharpless.net and not .com.. and that the
> > FTP login is the same as before.
>
> > I've been using an earlier version (0.7.0.3051) for so time, since it
> > has worked reliably... but thought I at least owed it to the group to
> > test the release candidate..
>
> > Regards
> > Stephen
>
> > On Aug 13, 9:57 pm, Tom Sharpless <TKSharpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi All
>
> > > I too just built Release Candidate 2 for Windows.  You can get the
> > > self extracting archive athttp://tksharpless.com(clickondownload
> > > link).  There is a compatible autopano-sift-c.exe (the program, not an
> > > archive) there too.
>
> > > Cheers, Tom- Hide quoted text -

Yuv

Aug 18, 2008, 11:20:58 PM8/18/08
Hi Steven,

On Aug 18, 3:52 am, Steeve <smb....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Windows XP with 1GB of RAM.
>
> Previously I have been using 0.7.0.3051 from Yuv.. This works on these
> same files.

I'm surprised that it does. 1GB RAM for that quantity of images - I
recall when I was using a 1GB box it would choke on 12 8Mpx TIFFs
(8bit). But it was Win2K and XP has supposedly better memory
management.

Did you reinstall my installer? and does the process still work?

Yuv

Steeve

Aug 19, 2008, 5:56:46 PM8/19/08

On Aug 19, 4:20 am, Yuv <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> On Aug 18, 3:52 am, Steeve <smb....@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm using Windows XP with 1GB of RAM.
>
> > Previously I have been using 0.7.0.3051 from Yuv.. This works on these
> > same files.
>

> Did you reinstall my installer? and does the process still work?
I never uninstalled your version, I just renamed the directory, then
installed Tom's installer. So I now have two versions (actually many
other older versions).
So I tried the same set of images in both versions. In 0.7.0.3051 Yuv
it works and in 0.7.0.RC2 (TKSharpless) it crashes.

I have tried a few more examples.. is it possible this is a string
length issues? Being a typical windows users all my files end-up with
file paths like: "C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents
\Photographs(2)\17th Aug 2008 SummerParkEvent" if I move all the
source images into a directory below root then Tom's version does not
crash.. In fact I can throw 50+ images at it without it crashing.

I notice this considerably shortens the entries in the makefile..
INPUT_IMAGES=C:\x\IMG_3484.jpg\
C:\x\IMG_3485.jpg\
C:\x\IMG_3486.jpg\
C:\x\IMG_3487.jpg\ ... etc

Instead of:
INPUT_IMAGES=C:\Documents\ and\ Settings\Stephen\My\ Documents
\Photographs(2)\17th\ Aug\ 2008\ SummerParkEvent\IMG_3520.jpg\
C:\Documents\ and\ Settings\Stephen\My\ Documents\Photographs(2)\17th\
Aug\ 2008\ SummerParkEvent\IMG_3521.jpg\
C:\Documents\ and\ Settings\Stephen\My\ Documents\Photographs(2)\17th\
Aug\ 2008\ SummerParkEvent\IMG_3522.jpg ...

This does make we suspect a change in the string handling..

I my be able to take this further.. but for tonight it is too late.

Regards
Stephen

[Aside] I'm really surprised by your comment on memory.. I know 1GB is
not much, but I have been happily stitching 42 images of 6MPixels and
24 images of 10MPixels using your version.. Yes it is very slow with
much disk swapping during stitching.. But I always get results..

Yuval Levy

Aug 19, 2008, 7:01:56 PM8/19/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

apology for misspelling your name in the previous post to this thread (V
instead of PH).

Steeve wrote:
> I have tried a few more examples.. is it possible this is a string
> length issues? Being a typical windows users all my files end-up with
> file paths like: "C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents
> \Photographs(2)\17th Aug 2008 SummerParkEvent" if I move all the
> source images into a directory below root then Tom's version does not
> crash.. In fact I can throw 50+ images at it without it crashing.

I have difficulties to explain how Tom's version would be different than
mine in respect to string length or spaces in the paths, but if that's
what you observe, we'll have to find out what makes my version different
from Tom's in this respect.

> I my be able to take this further.. but for tonight it is too late.

thanks, this kind of feedback is very appreciated.

> [Aside] I'm really surprised by your comment on memory.. I know 1GB is
> not much, but I have been happily stitching 42 images of 6MPixels and
> 24 images of 10MPixels using your version.. Yes it is very slow with
> much disk swapping during stitching.. But I always get results..

maybe I should try to temporarily amputate my WinXP box to 1GB. My
upgrade from 1GB to 2GB was concurrent with the acquisition of a new PC
that came with XP. I only had 2K on the 1GB.

Yuv

Tom Sharpless

Aug 22, 2008, 11:05:22 PM8/22/08
Hi

I think Stephen has the right idea -- it is probably a string handling
problem, either total length or maybe unquoted whitespace. It is
extremely rare in my experience for pure memory demand to cause access
violations on XP -- slowing to a crawl, total system unresponsiveness,
yes, but not segfaults.

This may indeed be a new bug in hugin (or an old one that is no longer
masked by something else that was fixed recently). It seems worth a
bug report.

On the off chance that it is something specific to my build, why don't
you try Guido's too?

Regards, Tom