Hugin 2010.2.0 released

Bruno Postle

Oct 10, 2010, 6:12:54 PM10/10/10
to Hugin ptx
Thanks to everyone responsible for this release!

Hugin-2010.2.0 release notes

Translated versions of these notes can be found here:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/releases/

Hugin is a panorama stitcher and more.

Changes since 2010.0.0

This is our second release in 2010. It delivers some major new
features, completes integration of projects from the 2009 Google
Summer of Code, and includes many general improvements.

Layout mode

The Hugin Fast Preview window visualises your panorama and lets you
change the project by dragging and clicking. This release introduces
an extra mode for this preview that shows the entire project as a
diagram with colour-coded lines connecting each of the photographs.

Now with a glance you can see where the project is ok and where
there are problems if it isn't quite right. Just click on any
connection and Hugin jumps to the Control Points tab to edit that
pair of photos.

Masking

Hugin uses multiresolution seam blending to join photos invisibly by
smoothing colours and brightness. Controlling the location of this
seam is now much easier with the new Mask tab, which instead of
requiring you to place the seam itself, lets you just indicate the
areas of photos that you do and don't want to be part of the
finished panorama - The seam itself then gets placed intelligently
using the remaining overlapping areas.

Masks can be saved and reused in new projects, so objects that
appear again and again like tripod heads can be easily excluded.

Mosaics

For a stitched panorama you shoot photos in different directions but
from a single location, Hugin will happily assemble these into a
complete scene. Now Hugin has an alternative mosaic mode — You can
take photos of a planar object such as a floor, painting, or mural
from any position, direction or angle, and Hugin will stitch them
seamlessly just as it does with a normal panorama.

Linked bracketing

Hugin allows you to shoot exposure bracketed photos and panoramas,
it will automatically combine them with exposure fusion or HDR
merging into a single image that has the best areas of each photo in
the stack. Hugin uses the same alignment process as with panoramas
so even hand-held bracketing works perfectly.

Photographers who use quality tripods can now skip this alignment
stage by telling Hugin that photos in a bracketed stack are linked
and share the same view.

Control point detector modes

Hugin uses plugin tools called control point detectors to
automatically match features between photos. Previous versions of
Hugin relied on the detector entirely, but now Hugin can make
intelligent detector choices based on knowledge of the panorama.

So Hugin can now match the photos in a multi-row panorama more
efficiently and with less error by breaking the job into separate
tasks, panoramas consisting of bracketed stacks can be automatically
identified and Hugin will switch to using appropriate matching
tools.

Another new feature is that panoramas can be approximately aligned
by dragging the photos around in the preview or using a template,
the control point detector can then be asked to only check
overlapping pairs of photos instead of all possible combinations of
photos — This speeds things up and reduces the chances of false
matches.

New lens types

Hugin supports photos taken with a wide range of 'normal' and
fisheye lenses, and can fine-tune for variation of distortion from
these standard types. With this release support has been added for
orthographic, stereographic and equisolid lenses.

Migration to Mercurial

Development of Hugin sourcecode has switched from Subversion to
Mercurial to better support parallel development and to reduce
dependency on Sourceforge infrastructure.

Languages

Most of the translations have been updated for this release.

Other improvements

This release has the usual bugfixes, adds minor features, and
provides some more command-line tools for scripting panorama
projects.

Control point generators

Hugin doesn't yet ship with a 'Patent Free' control point generator.
So you either need to pick control points manually - Not as
difficult as it sounds - or install and configure one of the
following control-point generators as 'plug-ins':

* autopano-sift-C
* panomatic
* libpanomatic
* match-n-shift
* Autopano-SIFT
* Autopano freeware version

Upgrading

Upgrading from previous versions of Hugin should be seamless. If you
do have problems with old settings, these can be reset in the
Preferences by clicking 'Load defaults'.

For users compiling from source: note that the minimum version of
wxWidgets supported is now 2.7.0, libpano13 needs to be at least
2.9.17, and that Hugin requires GLEW the OpenGL Extension Wrangler
Library, freeglut the OpenGL utility toolkit, and libGLU the OpenGL
utility library.

Support for the legacy libpano12 library has been discontinued.

See the README and INSTALL_cmake files for more information.

Thanks to all the contributors to this release and members of the
hugin-ptx mailing list, too many to mention here.

Hugin can be found at http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Hugin sourcecode can be downloaded from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/

SHA1SUM: f0676f28cd3fbebcf4086f55af7cf09566772899 hugin-2010.2.0.tar.gz

This release is identical to 2010.2.0_rc2
equivalent to hg branch 2010.2 -r 4431:d8ce0ba947cc

--
Bruno

Tduell

Oct 10, 2010, 9:16:53 PM10/10/10
Hullo Bruno,

On Oct 11, 9:12 am, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone responsible for this release!

Well done.
Thanks for all your efforts in bringing about this release, and also
to all who have contributed.

Cheers,
Terry

redag2

Oct 10, 2010, 9:55:31 PM10/10/10
No precompiled Win32 release?

Emad ud din Btt

Oct 11, 2010, 3:47:46 AM10/11/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all you people for your hardwork...........Much appreciated.

These updates looks very good indeed.

Regards,

Emaad
--

Emaad
www.flickr.com/emaad

Tom Sharpless

Oct 11, 2010, 5:54:42 PM10/11/10
Well done, Bruno.

Thank you for all your hard work on these last releases. Now, do try
to take a break :-).

Best, Tom

Bruno Postle

Oct 11, 2010, 6:32:50 PM10/11/10
On Sun 10-Oct-2010 at 18:55 -0700, redag2 wrote:

>No precompiled Win32 release?

Sorry, we have never yet managed to synchronise binary and source
releases.

Hopefully there will be Windows and OS X installers in the
Sourceforge download system sooner or later. The final release is
identical in every way to 2010.2.0_rc2.

--
Bruno

Matthew Petroff

Oct 11, 2010, 8:00:37 PM10/11/10
On Oct 11, 6:32 pm, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:
> Hopefully there will be Windows and OS X installers in the
> Sourceforge download system sooner or later.

I have completed release builds for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
Yuv offered me commit access, but I have not yet received it. Once I
have access, I will gladly add the builds and installers to the
SourceForge download system.

Matthew

davidefa

Oct 12, 2010, 2:27:06 AM10/12/10
On the windows build ( I have tried Petroff's rc2 build and my rc2
build ) I was unable to view help pages with firefox ( IE works ok )
giving the error "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address ,
because the protocol (c) isn't associated with any program" ( I have
seen on the list that someone had the problen with hugin-2009.04 ).
I traced down the problem is in file src/hugin1/hugin/MainFrame.cpp:
the path to the help file that is passed to the default browser
contains a mix of '/' and '\' that firefox dosn't digests well. The
workaround is simply to substitute all '\' with '/' ( added a line
before line 1166 )

the diff file is:
1165a1166
> strFile.Replace(wxT("\\"),wxT("/"));

Isaac Gouy

Oct 12, 2010, 9:05:22 PM10/12/10
afaict the most recent Windows binary in the Sourceforge download
system is 2009.4.0

I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that there are more recent
versions of Hugin (as I need to do some masking before fusing) - now
all I have to do is figure out which pre-built binary is trustworthy :(

Isaac Gouy

Oct 12, 2010, 9:49:12 PM10/12/10
fyi downloading from http://www.box.net/shared/meeaobr9ec worked fine

but I was unable to download anything from http://www.mpetroff.net/hugin/hugin.htm

both IE8 and Firefox 3.6.10 froze - "Waiting for www.box.net..."

Matthew Petroff

Oct 13, 2010, 6:39:52 PM10/13/10
Windows release binaries (betas and release candidates were built with
debug symbols) for Hugin 2010.2.0 are available as follows:

Windows 32-bit binary: http://www.box.net/shared/fke9z55u78

Windows 32-bit installer: http://www.box.net/shared/fb8mbtjlp6

Windows 64-bit binary: http://www.box.net/shared/jkhxsds7ns

Windows 64-bit installer: http://www.box.net/shared/jkhxsds7ns

Matthew

Henk Tijdink

Oct 14, 2010, 3:26:00 AM10/14/10
Hello Matthew

For the 64 bits version the links are the same, both for the zipfiles
and not an installer for 64 bit.

Kind regards,
Henk

Matthew Petroff

Oct 14, 2010, 12:26:54 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 3:26 am, Henk Tijdink <h.tijd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the 64 bits version the links are the same, both for the zipfiles
> and not an installer for 64 bit.

Sorry, here is the correct link: http://www.box.net/shared/pv7vn53qza

Matthew

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 14, 2010, 2:08:04 PM10/14/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

2010/10/12 Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net>

Hopefully there will be Windows and OS X installers in the Sourceforge download system sooner or later.  The final release is identical in every way to 2010.2.0_rc2.

Coming weekend I will build the OSX version. Short in time right now.

Thanks for your work as release manager.

Harry

Aron H

Oct 14, 2010, 5:01:16 PM10/14/10
Just tried the x64 installer, and it defaults to c:/program files
(x86)/hugin? Is there some setting to flip to make it go into c:/
program files/ ?

Aron

Bernd Hohmann

Oct 14, 2010, 5:43:35 PM10/14/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 14.10.2010 23:01, Aron H wrote:

> Just tried the x64 installer, and it defaults to c:/program files
> (x86)/hugin? Is there some setting to flip to make it go into c:/
> program files/ ?

As far as I remember, "program files (x86)" is the default path for
32bit applications under 64bit windows.

Bernd

--
Bernd Hohmann DV Sachverständiger & Gutachter
Höhenstrasse 2 * 61130 Nidderau

Aron H

Oct 15, 2010, 10:47:05 AM10/15/10

On Oct 14, 5:43 pm, Bernd Hohmann <hohm...@harddiskcafe.de> wrote:
> On 14.10.2010 23:01, Aron H wrote:
>
>  > Just tried the x64 installer, and it defaults to c:/program files
>  > (x86)/hugin? Is there some setting to flip to make it go into c:/
>  > program files/ ?
>
> As far as I remember, "program files (x86)" is the default path for
> 32bit applications under 64bit windows.

Yes, that's the problem. Hugin should be a native x64 application, so
it should install in C:/Program Files/, not C:/Program Files (x86)/

I also check the 'Clean registry settings' box, and checked all the CP
detectors, and my default CP detector ended up as align_image_stack,
which won't produce panoramas, right? Can we make the default the same
as other platforms? Panomatic or Autopano-sift-c?

It's also still downloading Autopano-sift-C 2.5.2, which I guess
hasn't been resolved yet?

Thanks Matthew, for keeping on top of the builds/installers for
Windows!
Aron

Matthew Petroff

Oct 15, 2010, 10:09:04 PM10/15/10
On Oct 15, 10:47 am, Aron H <aron.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's the problem. Hugin should be a native x64 application, so
> it should install in C:/Program Files/, not C:/Program Files (x86)/

Sorry, I forgot to change the installation directory when creating the
64-bit installer. An updated version is available here:
http://www.box.net/shared/pv7vn53qza

> I also check the 'Clean registry settings' box, and checked all the CP
> detectors, and my default CP detector ended up as align_image_stack,
> which won't produce panoramas, right? Can we make the default the same
> as other platforms? Panomatic or Autopano-sift-c?

The defaults are hard coded into Hugin and have nothing to do with the
installer. Not only does Hugin default to align_image_stack but none
of the other control point generators work as the paths to them are
broken. I may try to fix this for the next release with new registry
entries, but this isn't going to change for the current release.

> It's also still downloading Autopano-sift-C 2.5.2, which I guess
> hasn't been resolved yet?

Until someone makes a binary available that the installer can link to,
this will not be changed as I am not going to build, upload, or host a
binary since SIFT is patented. If someone makes a binary available
that the installer is able to download (the installer is unable to
download Henk's link as there is a landing page) I will gladly update
the installer.

Matthew

Emad ud din Btt

Oct 16, 2010, 12:55:28 AM10/16/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for your Installers Mathew..

Emaad
www.flickr.com/emaad

Henk Tijdink

Oct 16, 2010, 7:01:22 AM10/16/10
Because I don't have webspace I can't make my own build Autopano-SIFT-
C 2.5.1 available for download. It has both autopano-SIFT-C.exe and
the generatekeys.exe and autopano.exe for the two step detector in it.
If someone has webspace in a country that don't infringe the possible
patent issues with the SIFT algorithm, I'm glad to send the binaries
to him for making it available to the Hugin community.

Kind regards,
Henk Tijdink

Didgeridoohan

Oct 16, 2010, 7:22:08 AM10/16/10
Now, what countries have the patent issues with the SIFT algorithm? Is
it only the US? I haven't been able to figure out if it applies to
Sweden, but if it doesn't, I might have some webspace available. Maybe
I can finally bring something back to the community...

Yuval Levy

Oct 16, 2010, 2:20:25 PM10/16/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

On October 11, 2010 08:00:37 pm Matthew Petroff wrote:
> I have completed release builds for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
> Yuv offered me commit access, but I have not yet received it. Once I
> have access, I will gladly add the builds and installers to the
> SourceForge download system.

Thank you for your work. I've just added you to the project's members. You
have write access to the repo. Moreover I granted you Release Technician
access. This should do it for the uploads. Get back on this list if you need
further help.

In case it was not clear when I made you the offer: the project has many
admins and neither you nor them have to wait for me. Next time such an
administrivia is in your way and a specific admin is not around, get help from
another admin. The Hugin Community Charter [0] applies. Hugin should not be
dependent on any SPOF [1] - neither technical nor human.

I've been busy/away for a while and just started catching up this morning / a
few hours ago. I doubt the weekend will be enough to catch up on everything.

My apology to all Windows Hugin users for the delay.

Yuv

[0] http://hugin.sourceforge.net/community/charter/
[1] Single Point Of Failure

signature.asc

Matthew Petroff

Oct 16, 2010, 6:12:55 PM10/16/10
On Oct 16, 2:20 pm, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Thank you for your work.  I've just added you to the project's members.  You
> have write access to the repo.  Moreover I granted you Release Technician
> access.  This should do it for the uploads.  Get back on this list if you need
> further help.

Thanks.

I have uploaded binaries for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows to
SourceForge. I am going to wait a few days before uploading the
installers in case someone is kind enough to host a autopano-sift-c
2.5.1 binary so the installer can use the stable version.

Matthew

Yuval Levy

Oct 16, 2010, 11:12:01 PM10/16/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On October 11, 2010 06:32:50 pm Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Sun 10-Oct-2010 at 18:55 -0700, redag2 wrote:
> >No precompiled Win32 release?
>
> Sorry, we have never yet managed to synchronise binary and source
> releases.

And it is a waste of time and resources to synchronize.

Binary follows source. Delaying source because of binary is a mistake.

Binary on platform A is independent form binary on platform B. Delaying
binary on platform A because of platform B is a mistake.

Distribution channels have their different speed. Timing and synchronizing
them is a waste of time.

The Source Code release is a milestone for the project and the rest is left to
packagers and distributors on their platforms of choice. The project can
support them, but the project can't step into their shoes.

As far as I can see, this time around there were useful binaries available for
Windows and OS X before Ubuntu. How come no Ubuntu user is wining?

Anyway, thanks for the release, Bruno. Good job!
Yuv

signature.asc

Marius Loots

Oct 19, 2010, 4:56:06 AM10/19/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Everyone

I am having problems with the new release. Have downloaded the binary
for Windows (Hugin_2010.2.0_Windows_x32) from sourceforge. Have not
been able to get it running on WinXP and Win7.

On WinXP sp3, I get the following error:
(null) is not a valid Win32 application.

On Win7 x32 Enterprise I get:
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows
you're running. Check your computer's system information to see
whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the
program, and then contact the software publisher.

Both 2010.2.0.23e34640f870 built by Matthew Petroff
(HuginSetup_2010.2.0-rc1_x32.exe) and Pre-Release
2010.3.0.294c413a5883 built by Fabbri Davide (hugin_2010.3.0.rev4462)
executed ok and seems to work on both WinXP and Win7 (have not yet had
opportunity to attempt a stitch).

Could not find mention of any issues on the list or the web.

Groetnis
Marius
mailto:mlo...@medic.up.ac.za
--
add some chaos to your life and put the world in order
http://www.mapungubwe.co.za/

Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/
beskikbaar.

Matthew Petroff

Oct 19, 2010, 7:10:45 PM10/19/10
After doing testing on various computers, it appears that the 7-zip
files do not always work properly. Some machines refuse to load the
software while others refuse to extract the archive all together. I am
in the process of uploading zip files to SourceForge. While they are
considerably larger, they should prove to be more reliable.

Matthew

On Oct 19, 4:56 am, Marius Loots <mlo...@medic.up.ac.za> wrote:
> Hallo Everyone
>
> I am having problems with the new release. Have downloaded the binary
> for Windows (Hugin_2010.2.0_Windows_x32) from sourceforge. Have not
> been able to get it running on WinXP and Win7.
>
> On WinXP sp3, I get the following error:
> (null) is not a valid Win32 application.
>
> On Win7 x32 Enterprise I get:
> The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows
> you're running. Check your computer's system information to see
> whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the
> program, and then contact the software publisher.
>
> Both 2010.2.0.23e34640f870 built by Matthew Petroff
> (HuginSetup_2010.2.0-rc1_x32.exe) and Pre-Release
> 2010.3.0.294c413a5883 built by Fabbri Davide (hugin_2010.3.0.rev4462)
> executed ok and seems to work on both WinXP and Win7 (have not yet had
> opportunity to attempt a stitch).
>
> Could not find mention of any issues on the list or the web.
>
> Groetnis
>  Marius
>  mailto:mlo...@medic.up.ac.za
> --
> add some chaos to your life and put the world in orderhttp://www.mapungubwe.co.za/http://www.chaos.co.za/

Marius Loots

Oct 22, 2010, 5:40:41 AM10/22/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Matthew,

Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 1:10:45 AM, you wrote:
Matthew> in the process of uploading zip files to SourceForge. While they are
Matthew> considerably larger, they should prove to be more reliable.
Thanks for your effort, much appreciated. I will have opportunity to
download and test tonight.