GSOC - Utility for creating a Philosphere

Elle Yan

Apr 3, 2010, 9:11:48 AM4/3/10

I am a Master student in Canada. I am interested in GSOC projects from
Hugin. I have been reading about Hugin for a few months. Hugin seems
the most interesting software among all GSOC organizations. At least
it is what it seems to me. I have reviewed most all image processing,
and 3D modeling projects.

Over a month ago, I read resources and links of the project, "Utility
for creating a Philosphere". It seems amazing and magical to me, who
has worked on computer vision, image processing, virtual reality, and
3D modeling, since 2003. On the same day, I made a philosphere, based
on the link: http://www.hombsch.de/hedron/. I made in about half an
hour with glue.

I noticed that there might be students applying to 2010 new projects.
I wonder if I can work on one of the projects in the previous years.
Besides the project, Utility for creating a Philosphere, the other
three seem very interesting and doable to me:

- enblend/enfuse gimp plugin
- Extend hugin's output options for stitching
- munin — interactive openGL based GUI

It would be great to hear from you for some suggestions, and whether
any of them is available to apply. Then, I will focus the proposal on
one of these projects.

I have over 3 years work experiences in programming or R&D in image
processing, 2D/3D graphics. Since I have genuine interests in this
field, most of my experiences are relevant to it. I am proficient in C+
+, Python, and OpenGL. I wrote various GUI graphics editors in
different languages, even using Python + PyOpenGL (OpenGL python
binding).

I have taken code from Hugin for my thesis before. I found that it has
the best C++ monotonic spline implementation, PCHIP, among about five
versions of source code that I have found in open source and free
software.

I have also taken code from Gimp, and many other software sources
before. I have developed something for Gimp before. Therefore, the
project, enblend/enfuse gimp plugin, sounds great to better use my
skills.

I have been busy recently, but will have lots of time in the summer. I
know that it is all right to submit near five proposals for GSOC.
However, I hope to find one and concentrate on it soon. I look forward
to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Elle.

Dale Beams

Apr 3, 2010, 11:48:34 AM4/3/10
to Hugin Group
I'm only a user.  However I'd love to have "print" or "output to print" options within hugin that allowed me to print not only a philosphere, but other layouts as well, cutting the pano up for display.  I think that these type of displays are the best way to get people creatively using photography out of the box so to speak.  I moved from panos to sterography, and soon i hope to be doing some arial photography with kites/rc planes/ballons.

Dale

> Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 06:11:48 -0700
> Subject: [hugin-ptx] GSOC - Utility for creating a Philosphere
> From: elle....@gmail.com
> To: hugi...@googlegroups.com

T. Modes

Apr 3, 2010, 12:36:34 PM4/3/10

> I noticed that there might be students applying to 2010 new projects.
> I wonder if I can work on one of the projects in the previous years.
> Besides the project, Utility for creating a Philosphere, the other
> three seem very interesting and doable to me:

As the wiki says already:
note that during the proposal stage this project was discarded as
being too small, also mathmap is a better tool for implementing this
kind of thing

> - enblend/enfuse gimp plugin
> - Extend hugin's output options for stitching
> - munin — interactive openGL based GUI
>
> It would be great to hear from you for some suggestions, and whether
> any of them is available to apply. Then, I will focus the proposal on
> one of these projects.

Have a look at the curent page: http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC_2010_ideas
And read the comments which are already there.

Thomas

Dale Beams

Apr 4, 2010, 9:22:15 AM4/4/10
to Hugin Group
Is there any reason this project can't be completed as well as another GSOC project?  If it's to small for GSOC why not combine several projects.  It would seem by doing several small projects, you would learn a lot about hugin.

This is essentially not a WYSIWYG projection, but a print projection.  There are others as well, such as output for multiple projectors, etc.  Print projections that are reassembled, or projection projections that are assembled with multiple projectors for display.  Current panos are getting numerous, and becoming boring.  However a print projection is a novelty, and "made with HUGIN" is a great way to display and promote the OSS software Hugin.  Don't ya think?

Dale

> Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 09:36:34 -0700
> Subject: [hugin-ptx] Re: GSOC - Utility for creating a Philosphere
> From: Thomas...@gmx.de
> To: hugi...@googlegroups.com

Bruno Postle

Apr 5, 2010, 7:50:08 PM4/5/10
to Hugin Group
On Sun 04-Apr-2010 at 08:22 -0500, Dale Beams wrote:

> Is there any reason this project can't be completed as well as
> another GSOC project? If it's to small for GSOC why not combine
> several projects. It would seem by doing several small projects,
> you would learn a lot about hugin.

..but it is so much more fun to do it in mathmap. Try some of the
existing mathmap scripts that take equirectangular images as input.

Also there are an infinite number of ways of creating cut-out
spheres, you need a scripting language to specify them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbprzd/sets/72157604502314691/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmswart/sets/72157604536499614/

--
Bruno

Elle Yan

Apr 6, 2010, 6:02:13 AM4/6/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for all feedback. It sounds that the project (Utility for creating a Philosphere) is no longer available. I wonder if the following two are open to apply this year:

- enblend/enfuse gimp plugin
- Extend hugin's output options for stitching

Either of these two seems doable to me. If one of the projects is beneficial to Hugin, I would like to work on it. The Gimp plugin one seems suitable for me. I will try to write a proposal quickly before the deadline.

Thank you.

Elle.

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Elle Yan <elle....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Dale Beams

Apr 6, 2010, 12:03:51 PM4/6/10
to Hugin Group
After looking at Bruno's website of Mathmap examples I must say I'm duly impressed.  I had visited Mathmap  web site upon it's first mention, but can't say i was impressed with what I saw there.

I'm going to start right away on my new Mathmap projections and cutouts :)

Dale

> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 00:50:08 +0100
> From: br...@postle.net
> To: hugi...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [hugin-ptx] Re: GSOC - Utility for creating a Philosphere

Bruno Postle

Apr 6, 2010, 4:50:24 PM4/6/10
to Hugin ptx
On Tue 06-Apr-2010 at 07:02 -0300, Elle Yan wrote:

>Thank you for all feedback. It sounds that the project (Utility for creating
>a Philosphere) is no longer available. I wonder if the following two are
>open to apply this year:
>
>- enblend/enfuse gimp plugin

Yes this would be an interesting project. Note that there are
standalone ImageFuser and ExpoBlending tools that provide GUIs for
enfuse, these should give some idea of the options that need to be
made available in a GIMP plugin.

ExpoBlending is also a Digikam plugin:
http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/494

There are currently no enblend GUIs.

>- Extend hugin's output options for stitching

This second idea would conflict with any work done on the Makefile
system.

--
Bruno

Yuval Levy

Apr 7, 2010, 2:18:56 AM4/7/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On April 6, 2010 04:50:24 pm Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Tue 06-Apr-2010 at 07:02 -0300, Elle Yan wrote:
> >- enblend/enfuse gimp plugin
>
> Yes this would be an interesting project.

if you apply to this project, make sure you also apply for gimp as a mentoring
organization. you will have more chances to being selected. and you will have
mentors from both organizations.

Yuv