[hugin-ptx] Branching (was Re: [hgmnt] ping)

1 view

Yuval Levy

May 24, 2010, 11:14:45 AM5/24/10
to Antoine Deleforge, hugi...@googlegroups.com
Salut Antoine,

I post the reply to hugi...@googlegroups.com

You GSoC students will be encountering some interesting challenges due to the
recent Mercurial migration and solution to those challenges are of interest to
the Hugin community as a whole, so let's do our discovery here, on hugin-ptx,
so that everybody can benefit of it.

On May 24, 2010 10:06:55 am Antoine Deleforge wrote:
> I did that in a new branch I just
> created: gsoc2010_patent_free_cpm.

how exactly did you branch out your new branch after doing `hg clone` on
Bruno's advice?

> hg push -f ssh://syph...@hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgroot/hugin/hugin
>
> Now, it seems that I don't have to use -f to push to that branch anymore,
> so I guess the branch was properly created.
>
> However, at http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/graph the
> graph dosen't seem to actually "branch". Is it normal?

No, but not critical. I fixed it quickly, but there must be a more efficient
way to branch out, without using the -f option to force things and then fix
them later.

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Branch

After the last `hg pull`, `hg branches` listed 'default' as inactive and in
`hg view` had the 'tip' tag in your branch.

All I did was `hg branch default` to get back on the default branch. Then I
made a simple edit (.hgignore to ignore the typical backup files of mainstream
Linux/Unix editors). I committed with `hg ci` checked the status with `hg
status` and when things looked good in `hg view` I pushed with `hg push`

We're likely to see more of these as we get acquainted with life with
Mercurial. The best approach IMHO is to try things locally, and maybe discuss
them here on hugin-ptx when they don't seem right to you, before pushing. But
even a push is nothing bad/critical.

Yuv