nona -r hdr creates INF pixels

David Brodsky

Oct 8, 2008, 2:37:48 PM10/8/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Mihal
Hi,

[ Andrew, I'm Ccing you because I don't know if you're on the list ]

first of all, thanks for the great tool (hugin). But I've run into a
problem I can't solve. When I try to create hdr panorama with hugin,
some areas looks like [1]. The red areas actually represents pixels with
infinite values in red channel.

At first I thought it was an error in enblend, but now I've discovered
that nona creates one pixel with infinite value in red channel. I've put
all necessary files at [2]. If I do

nona -r hdr -m EXR_m -o small1-small9_hdr_ -i 4 small1-small9.pto

then the output contains bad pixel. Its coords are x: 227 y: 247,
counting from zero. I can imagine that this makes enblend create bad
areas, because infinity propagates all the way through the pyramids.
(This is only my guess).

So I think that it is an error that nona creates a pixel with infinite
value and therefor looses any precision.

One final thing: As you can see on the image [1] there is something what
looks like black dashed horizontal lines. This is caused by
hugin_hdrmerge which creates images like [3]. See dots on the left and
line on the bottom. Again I thing this can make enblend create pictures
with errors.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to correct these errors
or help invastigating.

Regards

David Brodsky

P.S. Andrew, as you can see you can discard my previous email to you
because it may not be an error in enfuse. Thanks.

[1]: http://trekie.sinister.cz/enblend.jpg
[2]: http://trekie.sinister.cz/nona-inf.zip
[3]: http://trekie.sinister.cz/nona.jpg

tennevin.yves

Oct 9, 2008, 4:51:29 AM10/9/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

David Brodsky

Oct 10, 2008, 5:29:42 AM10/10/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, tennevin.yves wrote:

> This looks related to this bug:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1850361&group_id=77506&atid=550441

Ok, I see the problem, but I dont see a solution. Can someone please
give me a hint? I'm willing to work on it.

As d'Angelo wrote in the thread clipping alone is not a right direction.
Another option is to store each channel in 32 bit float (OpenEXR allows
that), but I'm not sure if it could be read by other programs that
expect half. And finally there may be a way how to not exceed max half
and thus not create INF.

Regards

David Brodsky

Brent

Oct 11, 2008, 9:56:28 PM10/11/08
Seems to me that the output should be rescaled to stay in bounds and
then the WhiteLuminance set in the OpenEXR header to keep track of the
scaling for any subsequent program in the pipeline if needed.

Brent