Hugin for Windows installer

thePanz

Aug 28, 2010, 5:52:17 AM8/28/10
Hi, I've created a small installer for Hugin 2010.1 (taken from
http://lemur.dreamhosters.com/hugin/ builds). It could work with any
new releases.

I've added the ability to download from internet the Autopano and
Panomatic control point generators on-the-fly during the install
process.

I'd like to know where (in the rewindows registry) Hugin stores its
settings: I'd like to provide a full-clean uninstall and to update
settings with the installed ContrlPoint generators before public my
installer :)

Any help?

Yuval Levy

Aug 28, 2010, 9:10:58 AM8/28/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On August 28, 2010 05:52:17 am thePanz wrote:
> Hi, I've created a small installer for Hugin 2010.1

Cool. What installer framework did you use?

> I'd like to know where (in the rewindows registry) Hugin stores its
> settings: I'd like to provide a full-clean uninstall and to update
> settings with the installed ContrlPoint generators before public my
> installer :)
>
> Any help?

http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/file/33c9f4471693/platforms/windows/installer/hugin_prerelease.iss

look for the [Registry] section. Line 193 and following at the time of
writing.

the settings for the CP generators are around line 214 and can probably need
an update for the new multi-row mode.

Yuv

signature.asc

thePanz

Aug 30, 2010, 3:36:39 AM8/30/10
On Aug 28, 3:10 pm, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On August 28, 2010 05:52:17 am thePanz wrote:
>
> > Hi, I've created a small installer for Hugin 2010.1
>
> Cool.  What installer framework did you use?

I'm using Nullsoft NSIS framework: I choose it for its OpenSource
license and Linux/Windows support.

> http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/file/33c9f4471693/p...
> look for the [Registry] section.  Line 193 and following at the time of
> writing.
>
> the settings for the CP generators are around line 214 and can probably need
> an update for the new multi-row mode.

Ok, I'm going to read the code soon..
Right now I only add an option to fully remove the registry keys
during uninstall, for the CP generators I saw that a clean Hugin
install comes with Panomatic and other CP generators already set
(correct me if I'm wrong) so I think that I can leave the registry
untouched during CP install...
Waiting for your feedback and suggestions.. :)

Cheers

thePanz

thePanz

Aug 30, 2010, 11:12:39 AM8/30/10
> I'm using Nullsoft NSIS framework: I choose it for its OpenSource
> license and Linux/Windows support.

Hi, I've posted my Installer here: http://thepanz.netsons.org/post/windows-instaler-for-hugin-2010
with the full NSIS script (script, license, plugins and bitmaps).
Feel free to try the installer or compile it yourself. In that case
you need the .7z archive from http://lemur.dreamhosters.com/hugin/ (I
re-compressed it with the "Ultra" compression with 7zip)

Waiting for your feedback!

Regards

Yuval Levy

Aug 30, 2010, 11:14:14 PM8/30/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On August 30, 2010 03:36:39 am thePanz wrote:
> Right now I only add an option to fully remove the registry keys
> during uninstall, for the CP generators I saw that a clean Hugin
> install comes with Panomatic and other CP generators already set
> (correct me if I'm wrong) so I think that I can leave the registry
> untouched during CP install...

IIRC those are only presets. It does not really matter if the CP generators
are delivered with the Hugin installer or not, the presets are written into
the registry so that the user can select one of them. Of course, if the
associated CP detector is not present, it won't work.

Packages of Hugin have been circulating with or without included CP
generators. Most CP generators available are encumbered by patents in some
jurisdictions, making a distribution of an installer like yours (from your
description I infer that it includes panomatic) touchy. Make sure it's OK in
your jurisdiction - panomatic is protected by the SURF patent.

> Waiting for your feedback and suggestions.. :)

Thank you for your work. Do you want to commit your script to the project's
repository?

Yuv

signature.asc

Emad ud din Butt

Aug 30, 2010, 11:44:32 PM8/30/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

This installer is based on latest beta release or older release?

_________________________________
Emaad
www.flickr.com/emaad

thePanz

Aug 31, 2010, 3:33:58 AM8/31/10

On Aug 31, 5:44 am, Emad ud din Butt <xyzt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This installer is based on latest beta release or older release?

My installer, as you can read on my Blog post (http://
thepanz.netsons.org/post/windows-instaler-for-hugin-2010) it's based
on latest "Lemur" compiled package, it's Hugin 2010.1.0 build 5161
(date: 2010-05-28) it's the latest build I could find. It's not the
new 2010.2.0 beta2 (released yesterday).

Cheers

thePanz

Aug 31, 2010, 3:29:02 AM8/31/10

On Aug 31, 5:14 am, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> IIRC those are only presets.  It does not really matter if the CP generators
> are delivered with the Hugin installer or not, the presets are written into
> the registry so that the user can select one of them.  Of course, if the
> associated CP detector is not present, it won't work.
Ok, it's clear! maybe another CP generator, not present in Hugin
default set should be added to the registry.. I'll investigate this
issue when a new CP (suggest me one) is not handled by Hugin by
default

> Packages of Hugin have been circulating with or without included CP
> generators.  Most CP generators available are encumbered by patents in some
> jurisdictions, making a distribution of an installer like yours (from your
> description I infer that it includes panomatic) touchy.  Make sure it's OK in
> your jurisdiction - panomatic is protected by the SURF patent.
Panomatic isn't included in my distro, you can choose to download it
on-the-fly from internet during installation process. Should I add a
"License" for each CP during install?

> > Waiting for your feedback and suggestions.. :)
> Thank you for your work. Do you want to commit your script to the project's
> repository?
Great! Maybe if I could commit my edits and corrections to Hugin
repository may be better, what you think? I'm non new to SVN, CVS or
HG version control systems... let me know..

thePanz

Aron H

Aug 31, 2010, 10:18:16 AM8/31/10
I'm a bit surprised you chose to implement a new installer, instead of
working on the one already committed to Hugin, based on InnoSetup.
Was it lacking some features, or did you not know it was there?
(hugin/platforms/windows/installer/ directory)
Regards,
Aron

On Aug 31, 3:29 am, thePanz <thep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Waiting for your feedback and suggestions.. :)
> > Thank you for your work. Do you want to commit your script to the project's
> > repository?
> thePanz

Yuval Levy

Aug 31, 2010, 11:45:48 AM8/31/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aron,

On August 31, 2010 10:18:16 am Aron H wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised you chose to implement a new installer, instead of
> working on the one already committed to Hugin, based on InnoSetup.
> Was it lacking some features, or did you not know it was there?

I can't speak for him but there can be many reasons to implement a new
installer. I implemented the current InnoSetup installer [0] back in the 0.7
days when there was already an MSI-based Installer [1].

My motivation for changing to InnoSetup was simple: I had previous experience
with InnoSetup and it took me less time than trying to understand the
convoluted Microsfot stuff.

An installer is pretty much a self-contained endeavor and a change of
technology does not have many consequences on the rest of the project. So any
technology is game as long as it does its job.

Yuv

[0]
http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/file/93786aecb6fb/platforms/windows/installer
[1]
http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/file/93786aecb6fb/platforms/windows/msi

signature.asc

Yuval Levy

Aug 31, 2010, 11:38:44 AM8/31/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On August 31, 2010 03:29:02 am thePanz wrote:
> > Packages of Hugin have been circulating with or without included CP
> > generators. Most CP generators available are encumbered by patents in
> > some jurisdictions, making a distribution of an installer like yours
> > (from your description I infer that it includes panomatic) touchy. Make
> > sure it's OK in your jurisdiction - panomatic is protected by the SURF
> > patent.
>
> Panomatic isn't included in my distro, you can choose to download it
> on-the-fly from internet during installation process. Should I add a
> "License" for each CP during install?

I forgot this very important detail. Sorry. This is what makes your
installer superior to anything else we had previously.

Adding a "License" for each CP-generator during install is not necessary.

What I would advise to do is to put a generic disclaimer - the same one for
all CP-generators - with a statement like:

"you have elected to download and install one or many additional software
packages for control point generation. Be aware that these packages are
separate from Hugin. These packages may or may not be encumbered by patents
in your residence's jurisdiction and they are subject to their own licenses.
It is your responsibility to make sure that you are not infringing on any
rights when installing and running these packages in your jurisdiction".

Have the user accept it prior to initiating the download/install of the third
party packages.

Note that my feedback is given blind (I have no Windows box to test your
Installer), so maybe the process is not as I imagine it. Feel free to adapt
my feedback to your needs or push back at me my wrong assumptions.

> Great! Maybe if I could commit my edits and corrections to Hugin
> repository may be better, what you think? I'm non new to SVN, CVS or
> HG version control systems... let me know..

do you have a SourceForge user name? please publish it here so that you can
be granted write privilege on the Hg repository. Hugin no longer uses SVN or
CVS. Don't worry about being new, there is very little that can go wrong when
using Hg.

Welcome on board!
Yuv

signature.asc

thePanz

Sep 1, 2010, 8:20:34 AM9/1/10

On Aug 31, 5:38 pm, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> On August 31, 2010 03:29:02 am thePanz wrote:
>
> > > Packages of Hugin have been circulating with or without included CP
> > > generators.  Most CP generators available are encumbered by patents in
> > > some jurisdictions, making a distribution of an installer like yours
> > > (from your description I infer that it includes panomatic) touchy.  Make
> > > sure it's OK in your jurisdiction - panomatic is protected by the SURF
> > > patent.
>
> > Panomatic isn't included in my distro, you can choose to download it
> > on-the-fly from internet during installation process. Should I add a
> > "License" for each CP during install?
>
> I forgot this very important detail.  Sorry.  This is what makes your
> installer superior to anything else we had previously.

Yes, that's what I want to implement! An installer that can be used
also from "newbes" without any knowledge of CP and their manual-
download and install!
If you can link me the CP websites I can add all them to the on-the-
fly download process (you any release of Hugin can be provided "clean"
The only one "issue" is that a binary version of Hugin must be
provided in advance..

> Adding a "License" for each CP-generator during install is not necessary.
>
> What I would advise to do is to put a generic disclaimer - the same one for
> all CP-generators - with a statement like:
>
> "you have elected to download and install one or many additional software
> packages for control point generation.  Be aware that these packages are
> separate from Hugin.  These packages may or may not be encumbered by patents
> in your residence's jurisdiction and they are subject to their own licenses.
> It is your responsibility to make sure that you are not infringing on any
> rights when installing and running these packages in your jurisdiction".

i've added that "feature", it shows up only if one/many CP generators
are selected to be installed (the disclaimer is displayed before
downloading them)
I'll publish it on my blog soon

> > Great! Maybe if I could commit my edits and corrections to Hugin
> > repository may be better, what you think? I'm non new to SVN, CVS or
> > HG version control systems... let me know..
>
> do you have a SourceForge user name?  please publish it here so that you can
> be granted write privilege on the Hg repository.  Hugin no longer uses SVN or
> CVS.  Don't worry about being new, there is very little that can go wrong when
> using Hg.

My username is "epanz"
Please tell me where and how to push my edits :)

Cheers

thePanz

Sep 2, 2010, 8:35:59 AM9/2/10
On Aug 31, 5:38 pm, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Welcome on board!
> Yuv

Hi, waiting for your response I've added more features to my installer
(http://thepanz.netsons.org/post/windows-instaler-for-hugin-2010).
I've received some feedback and fixed two minor issues.
Feel free to give an eye to the screenshot provided in my post if you
don't have any Windows box.

Cheers

cri

Sep 2, 2010, 9:51:31 AM9/2/10
Just a question: are the strings translatable?

BTW thanks for the installer!
Message has been deleted

thePanz

Sep 2, 2010, 10:41:28 AM9/2/10
On Sep 2, 3:51 pm, cri <cri.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a question: are the strings translatable?
Yes, just download the HuginSetup_nsis.7z and look into Languages
directory. You'll find and EN.nsh and IT.nsh translation files (the
italian is only a placeholder). Feel free to translate into your
language and send me the translation! :)

> BTW thanks for the installer!
You're welcome, any feedback is appreciated!

Cheers

Brian Hoffmann

Sep 2, 2010, 11:24:48 AM9/2/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I made a german translation.

Brian

DE.nsh

thePanz

Sep 3, 2010, 3:12:01 PM9/3/10
On Sep 2, 5:24 pm, Brian Hoffmann <br...@slowpoke.de> wrote:
>   I made a german translation.

I reply here: thank you again for your translation, I've updated the
32 and 64 builds here:
http://thepanz.netsons.org/post/windows-instaler-for-hugin-2010

Regards!

thePanz

Sep 8, 2010, 9:47:43 AM9/8/10
More updates for 32 and 64 builds: the installer is now capable of
download and auto-configure all the "preset" control points available
in Hugin:

+ Panomatic
+ Autopano
+ Match-n-shift
+ Align_image_stack
+ Autopano-sift-C
+ Autopano-sift-C (multirow/stacked)

Feel free to try and give feedbacks
I'm also looking for new windows builds to be included into the
installer.

Regards

Yuval Levy

Sep 9, 2010, 11:27:16 AM9/9/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On September 1, 2010 08:20:34 am thePanz wrote:
> > do you have a SourceForge user name? please publish it here so that you
> > can be granted write privilege on the Hg repository. Hugin no longer
> > uses SVN or CVS. Don't worry about being new, there is very little that
> > can go wrong when using Hg.
>
> My username is "epanz"
> Please tell me where and how to push my edits :)

nobody followed up on this and I was away and am still submerged by a pile of
"todos".

I've granted you access, you can now push your edits to the official repo on
SF (a good place would be a new folder in platforms/windows); and you can add
files to SourceForge download section.

Sorry I don't have more time to support you at the moment, others can tell you
how to push your edits.

This is also a good time to clean up and update the authors.txt [0] file - add
people who have contributed to the new installer; as well as people who have
contributed new things to Hugin since that file was last updated. I put in a
few things I know out of my head, but I have not been following Hugin closely
enough. Best thing is if the individual contributors would add themselves.

[0]
http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/file/d21377b2c560/authors.txt

signature.asc

John McAllister

Sep 9, 2010, 1:52:07 PM9/9/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yuval...

I don't know why, but your postings are not appearing in my email clent, Windows Mail.

John.

Erik Krause

Sep 11, 2010, 4:13:58 PM9/11/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 30.08.2010 17:12, schrieb thePanz:
> Hi, I've posted my Installer here:http://thepanz.netsons.org/post/windows-instaler-for-hugin-2010
> with the full NSIS script (script, license, plugins and bitmaps).

I've just downloaded and installed. Worked perfectly so far, but the
command line utilities give TIFFReadDirectory warnings (f.e. regarding
invalid XML packets which is quite common for files written by photoshop
or DPP) as modal dialogs again instead of console output. This was
already solved many versions ago.

This is probably not related to your installer but to the hugin and
utilities version it installs. In this case align_image_stack.exe
Pre-Release 2010.1.0.5161 built by zoran zorkic might be the culprit.

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Yuval Levy

Sep 11, 2010, 4:47:18 PM9/11/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Sorry John. I don't know why either - my post are plain text written with
KMail. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

An issue I have is with one or two users posting HTML mails to the mailing
list - but given the "evolution" of email clients I am afraid we'll have to
live with that.

Yuv

signature.asc

David Haberthür

Sep 12, 2010, 3:44:28 AM9/12/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 11.09.2010, at 22:47, Yuval Levy wrote:

> Sorry John. I don't know why either - my post are plain text written with
> KMail. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Nope, they all arrive fine here on the other end of the world. Maybe John added you to his Killfile [1]
Habi

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killfile

Bruno Postle

Sep 12, 2010, 6:08:56 AM9/12/10
to Hugin ptx
On Sat 11-Sep-2010 at 16:47 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:
>On September 9, 2010 01:52:07 pm John McAllister wrote:
>>
>> I don't know why, but your postings are not appearing in my email clent,
>> Windows Mail.
>
>Sorry John. I don't know why either - my post are plain text written with
>KMail. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

This is a very long standing problem with Microsoft products
refusing to view pgp-mime signed mail.

--
Bruno

T. Modes

Sep 12, 2010, 11:18:54 AM9/12/10
Hi Windows builder,

> I've just downloaded and installed. Worked perfectly so far, but the
> command line utilities give TIFFReadDirectory warnings (f.e. regarding
> invalid XML packets which is quite common for files written by photoshop
> or DPP) as modal dialogs again instead of console output. This was
> already solved many versions ago.
>
> This is probably not related to your installer but to the hugin and
> utilities version it installs. In this case align_image_stack.exe
> Pre-Release 2010.1.0.5161 built by zoran zorkic might be the culprit.

To prevent this warning libtiff (or libtiff in wxWidgets) should be
compiled with
#define TIF_PLATFORM_CONSOLE 1
as stated in the wiki http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_SDK_%28MSVC_2008%29_Patches#wxWidgets
(This redirects the warning to the console, without the preprocessor
switch a message box pop up.).
I assume, that the builder has compiled libtiff without this change.
Please check your libtiff.

Thomas

Erik Krause

Sep 12, 2010, 2:14:40 PM9/12/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 12.09.2010 17:18, schrieb T. Modes:

> I assume, that the builder has compiled libtiff without this change.
> Please check your libtiff.

In this case: thePanz, could you use a different source for the binaries
in the installer?

Panz

Sep 13, 2010, 3:23:21 AM9/13/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Erik Krause <erik....@gmx.de> wrote:
Am 12.09.2010 17:18, schrieb T. Modes:

I assume, that the builder has compiled libtiff without this change.
Please check your libtiff.

In this case: thePanz, could you use a different source for the binaries in the installer?

Yes, of course! Can you give provide me an URL where I can get a binary to use? I'm still looking for a new Hugin build: the one provided in my installers is quite "old" (it's a 2010.1.snv5161 and I'm looking for the new 2010.2). I can then create a new installer with the new window binaries. Unfortunately I don't have any windows compiling experience to provide the compiled windows executables.

Regards

Yuval Levy

Sep 14, 2010, 9:29:44 PM9/14/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Emanuele,

On September 3, 2010 03:12:01 pm thePanz wrote:
> http://thepanz.netsons.org/post/windows-instaler-for-hugin-2010

I've imported your NSIS installer [0] to sourceforge. As stated previously,
you have write access to the repo and it should not be much different than Hg
on BitBucket. Or do you see an advantage in using BitBucket over SourceForge?

saluti
Yuv

[0]
http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/hugin/hugin/file/tip/platforms/windows/huginsetup

signature.asc

thePanz

Sep 15, 2010, 9:38:55 AM9/15/10
On Sep 15, 3:29 am, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Ciao Emanuele,
Ciao Yuv!

> I've imported your NSIS installer [0] to sourceforge.  As stated previously,
> you have write access to the repo and it should not be much different than Hg
> on BitBucket.  Or do you see an advantage in using BitBucket over SourceForge?

Thank you for importing my NSIS package into SourceForge. I've been
quite busy in latest days, I'll continue posting my updates to SF as
soon as possible.
I'd like to know (I read about this feature on Mercurial website) if
SF can handle sub-repositories: I'd like to maintain (and get in sync)
only with the HuginSetup part of the "Hugin" project because I don't
have any expertise (and knowledge) on Hugin and wxWidgets
programming..

Regards

Yuval Levy

Sep 19, 2010, 4:43:22 PM9/19/10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
ciao Emanuele,

On September 15, 2010 09:38:55 am thePanz wrote:
> Thank you for importing my NSIS package into SourceForge. I've been
> quite busy in latest days, I'll continue posting my updates to SF as
> soon as possible.
> I'd like to know (I read about this feature on Mercurial website) if
> SF can handle sub-repositories: I'd like to maintain (and get in sync)
> only with the HuginSetup part of the "Hugin" project because I don't
> have any expertise (and knowledge) on Hugin and wxWidgets
> programming..

where in the Mercurial website do you read about this feature? You know more
than I. When I researched this feature it was not available. Usually what is
default in Mercurial trickles down to SF, maybe with some delay, but they do
update / keep up.

what we can do if it is more convenient for you is start an extra repository -
qw currently have seven [0] of them and SF sets no limits.

let me know if you can add to the Hugin main repo (preferred, since that's
were all other packages / installers of Hugin are generated for other
platforms) or if you prefer me to open a new repo for you.

buon fine settimana.