Hugin 0.8 SVN3649 Windows installer available

10 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

allard

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 03:54:4418/02/2009
para hugin and other free panoramic software
Hi guys,

I also made my build available for the world. See
http://www.allardkatan.net/misc/hugin/index.html . I built an
installer from the 'package' in the SDK. I had to change a few minor
things in the CMAKELISTS.TXT file because it would name the program
and install directory Cmake, instead of hugin. And it does not install
the start menu items correctly, only the uninstaller is included in
the menu. But for the rest it works fine..

BTW, what is the policy regarding making development snapshots
available to the public? I had not made my build available because I
(wrongly?) assumed earlier you'd prefer to keep this limited until a
stable release is planned. If not, why are there no development
snapshots or betas available from SF?

Guido Kohlmeyer

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 11:39:0118/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
During labor pains of hugin 0.7.0 I prepared shapshots without any
installer for the development community in loose intervals. This was done
by some other developers too. I used the panotools server which was kindly
provided by the guys here and published the new download link here in the
group, like I've done for the SDK.
Additionaly I prepared the windows setup for 0.7.0 which can be downloaded
on sourceforge. As you mentioned, some modifications were necessary to
build a setup, but if you have any questions about the original files,
maybe ask Yuval for support. He built the initially files in SVN.

Guido

allard

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 12:28:4418/02/2009
para hugin and other free panoramic software
Wouldn't it be better if there was a central place where people can
find the different versions to download? If you are a Windows user,
it's pretty difficult to find a recent version unless you really know
the way. Suppose you're a Windows user, new to this whole thing, and
you're trying to find out whether there is any open source pano
program. You go to SF, search, and you find hugin. The only choice you
have is 0.7 or the source. The source is no good without the SDK,
which you can't find there. And even with the SDK building your own is
way too complicated for 99.9% of Windows users. Only if you find this
list, and search through the messages, will you find a more recent
version. I think it's easier to get people involved in testing and bug
reporting if the beta/alpha/snapshot releases are easy to find.

It just wasn't clear to me whether this situation is created
deliberately or it just wasn't a priority yet to create an
infrastructure that is more likely get more people involved. Just to
make sure: this is not meant as criticism, it's just a suggestion. I
really appreciate all the work that's been done, and I'm glad I can
(finally) be of help just a tiny bit. I'm not sure I'll be able to fix
the little bugs in the installer, as I know very little about such
things. Educated guesses combined with trial and error are my only
weapons at the moment.

allard

On Feb 18, 5:39 pm, "Guido Kohlmeyer" <d...@gekko-design.de> wrote:
> During labor pains of hugin 0.7.0 I prepared shapshots without any
> installer for the development community in loose intervals. This was done
> by some other developers too. I used the panotools server which was kindly
> provided by the guys here and published the new download link here in the
> group, like I've done for the SDK.
> Additionaly I prepared the windows setup for 0.7.0 which can be downloaded
> on sourceforge. As you mentioned, some modifications were necessary to
> build a setup, but if you have any questions about the original files,
> maybe ask Yuval for support. He built the initially files in SVN.
>
> Guido
>

> > Hi guys,
>
> > I also made my build available for the world. See
> >http://www.allardkatan.net/misc/hugin/index.html. I built an

Bruno Postle

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 14:48:0218/02/2009
para Hugin ptx
On Wed 18-Feb-2009 at 09:28 -0800, allard wrote:

>It just wasn't clear to me whether this situation is created
>deliberately or it just wasn't a priority yet to create an
>infrastructure that is more likely get more people involved.

There's no intentional policy, so far releases have happened
irregularly.

For Linux it is simple: release tarballs and let distribution
packagers sort it out. There isn't a Free Software yum/apt repo for
Windows, so we are obliged to put 'stable' installers in the
sourceforge download area.

Before the 0.7.0 release there were regular snapshot Windows
installers on panotools.org and it would be good to do this for
0.8.0.

Note that we don't expect Linux packagers to ask permission to
release snapshots, so there is no problem doing the same for
Windows, just please point people who don't want to participate in
testing to the 'stable' installer on sourceforge.

Slightly off-topic, does hugin still build with mingw? Fedora now
has most of the hugin dependencies as mingw-* cross-compiler
packages, it is potentially possible to build an NSI Windows
installer entirely on Linux using the same tools used to build RPMs.

--
Bruno

Guido Kohlmeyer

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 16:56:4718/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
Bruno Postle schrieb:

> Note that we don't expect Linux packagers to ask permission to
> release snapshots, so there is no problem doing the same for
> Windows, just please point people who don't want to participate in
> testing to the 'stable' installer on sourceforge.
>
> Slightly off-topic, does hugin still build with mingw? Fedora now
> has most of the hugin dependencies as mingw-* cross-compiler
> packages, it is potentially possible to build an NSI Windows
> installer entirely on Linux using the same tools used to build RPMs.

I provided shapshots of 0.7.0 only through hugin-ptx list, because the
developers should test the software before release. If some shapshots or
unstable versions are provided via sourceforge is must be clear for the
user, that it is a version under development which may not work as
expected. Otherwise a (windows) user may be disapointed about this great
peace of software. I even remember of the release of 0.7.0. Right after
the release some users complained about crash during makefile export,
although they saved their work without any picture selected. Such misuse
was not covered by the exporter module. Therefore I suppose to release
windows builds in a nearly stable state. My impression is that windows
users are not familiar with software that may have small problems.
Actually astonishing 'cause they are using windows :-)

I never build with mingw, only Visual C++ 2008 EE.

Guido

allard

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 17:14:4618/02/2009
para hugin and other free panoramic software
> There isn't a Free Software yum/apt repo for
> Windows, so we are obliged to put 'stable' installers in the
> sourceforge download area.

I have no clue what a 'yum/apt repo' is but I guess I understand the
point.

> Before the 0.7.0 release there were regular snapshot Windows
> installers on panotools.org and it would be good to do this for
> 0.8.0.
>
> Note that we don't expect Linux packagers to ask permission to
> release snapshots, so there is no problem doing the same for
> Windows, just please point people who don't want to participate in
> testing to the 'stable' installer on sourceforge.

Could you check http://www.allardkatan.net/misc/hugin/ and see if you
think this I've made it clear enough? If not I'll adapt it.

> Slightly off-topic, does hugin still build with mingw?

No idea at all. Not very keen on trying either.

> --
> Bruno

tennevin yves

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 17:19:2818/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
Guido Kohlmeyer a écrit :
Tried to build it with mingw, had problems with
* libpano... had to hack the Makefile to get it compiling, had to hack a
new .def file to remove various missing exports and add others to get
the tools compiling... The way I did it is probably wrong. Now I ain't
good enough in this field to resolve those problems properly...
* hugin build failed when it reached components depending on wxwidget.
I believe this might be related to the lack of boost unicode regexp
support in mingw, I ain't even sure of the exact cause. Did various
testing with various versions of Boost, wxwidget... Ran into the same
kinds of issues, more or less. The fact Boost is not supported
officially under mingw probably don't help here.

I have been trying to build it under cygwin, just to see if it is better
(for the wxwidget related issue), ran into the same kind of issues for
libpano. I have given up for now as I need to process photographs I took
the last weeks ago... I think I'll retry again in the upcoming next week...

esby / Y. Tennevin

allard

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 19:07:3318/02/2009
para hugin and other free panoramic software
I just found the REAL installer builder. The previous one was made by
using building 'PACKAGE' in VSC++, which works through CPack and NSIS.
While browsing the install directory I found the 'installer_howto.txt'
file written by Yuv. So I gave that a try. Worked after deleting some
references to match-n-shift. Much nicer installer now.
Yuv, I think I removed all the references to your homepage from the
installer text, as you probably don't want to be held responsible for
my messing around. If I did anything you don't agree with please let
me know ASAP.

Bruno Postle

não lida,
18 de fev. de 2009, 19:59:0818/02/2009
para Hugin ptx
On Wed 18-Feb-2009 at 14:14 -0800, allard wrote:

>Could you check http://www.allardkatan.net/misc/hugin/ and see if you
>think this I've made it clear enough? If not I'll adapt it.

Looks good to me, thanks for working on this.

--
Bruno

Yuval Levy

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 10:20:3719/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
allard wrote:
> I just found the REAL installer builder.

well done!

<http://panospace.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/hugin-080-alpha-installer/>

> Yuv, I think I removed all the references to your homepage from the
> installer text, as you probably don't want to be held responsible for
> my messing around.

you did a great job, Allard. It is up to you if you want or not to link
to my blog. I have updated the blog to point to your download page. I
hope you keep up publishing Windows installer snapshots throughout the
0.8.0 release cycle.

THANK YOU!
Yuv

Yuval Levy

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 10:26:2719/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
allard wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better if there was a central place where people can
> find the different versions to download?

SF is the place.

> If you are a Windows user,
> it's pretty difficult to find a recent version unless you really know
> the way.

The most recent stable version is 0.7.0. I would not want users to
mistake the nightly builds (or your installer) for a stable release.

If somebody knows their ways and can discern between a release and a
nightly build, they will find the nightlies and other goodies. If
somebody just need to get a stitch done, the right software is 0.7.0 and
is on SF.

> It just wasn't clear to me whether this situation is created
> deliberately or it just wasn't a priority yet to create an
> infrastructure that is more likely get more people involved.

the infrastructure to get people involved is all at
<http://wiki.panotools.org/Development_of_Open_Source_tools>

feel free to update.

Yuv

allard

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 11:42:1619/02/2009
Yuv wrote:

>you did a great job, Allard. It is up to you if you want or not to link
>to my blog. I have updated the blog to point to your download page. I
>hope you keep up publishing Windows installer snapshots throughout the
>0.8.0 release cycle.

Thanks for the compliments. I do hope this extra attention doesn't
blow the 20GB monthly traffic limit to my site though. If this becomes
a problem I'll be requesting for people to mirror the installer. Now
that Guido has prepared the SDK, and I have the whole thing figured
out creating a new installer is just a matter of a few clicks, so I
can update regularly.

> The most recent stable version is 0.7.0. I would not want users to
> mistake the nightly builds (or your installer) for a stable release.
>
> If somebody knows their ways and can discern between a release and a
> nightly build, they will find the nightlies and other goodies. If
> somebody just need to get a stitch done, the right software is 0.7.0 and
> is on SF.

My experience with Hugin is actually mostly based on betas or
development snapshots, and when it comes to stability I have not found
that much difference with 0.7 release (the only stable release I ever
used). But of course not all the snapshots have been made available as
binaries. I think a central project web page would be very nice for
the Hugin project. The information is now spread out over this list,
the hugin.sf.net page, your blog, and the panotools.org site.

> the infrastructure to get people involved is all at
> <http://wiki.panotools.org/Development_of_Open_Source_tools>

I hadn't seen that one yet, I'll check it out.

tennevin yves

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 15:32:4919/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
allard a écrit :
Installed it. (with the first and later with the second installer)
Celeste seems missing in the install option, I am assuming the nsi will
be modified to provide it.
I installed with panomatic, but the executable was missing (I had done a
backup of it before installing it.), no real issue here, but reporting.

Now something strange, I am assuming it's intented for now and will be
fixed later,
the image loading and scaling is done when you load the images if the
OpenGL preview is open;
but it is done again later when the exposure optimization is started...
This ain't time consuming for a few images, but it becomes another
matter when 15+ images are loaded...

Also one question, what exactly is the photometric optimization in the
OpenGl preview?

esby / Y. Tennevin

allard

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 16:53:2419/02/2009
para hugin and other free panoramic software
> I installed with panomatic, but the executable was missing (I had done a
> backup of it before installing it.), no real issue here, but reporting.

Sorry about that. I don't have the panomatic executable here. It seems
not to be included in the SDK? Should have removed it from the setup
menu. There may be more, similar issues. I only removed stuff that
stopped the installer from building.

tennevin yves

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 17:00:0119/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
allard a écrit :
Imo don't remove it, users who wants to use it will have it anyway,
maybe we could just add a note to get the executable from 0.7 installer
for now.
It is setting the parameters correctly, even if the executable is missing.

esby / Y. Tennevin

Yuval Levy

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 18:08:3319/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
allard wrote:
> I do hope this extra attention doesn't blow the 20GB monthly
> traffic limit to my site though.

it will. one solution is to upload to hugin.panotools.org. I don't have
the credentials at hand. Guido or Harry can help you on that. If you
don't get them, ping me via private mail and I'll check where I
misplaced them.

> I think a central project web page would be very nice for
> the Hugin project. The information is now spread out over this list,
> the hugin.sf.net page, your blog, and the panotools.org site.

If you feel something is missing you can add to existing resources or
start a new one. if what you do makes sense, others might follow you.
This is how I initiated the builds documented on the wiki. The
Panotools.org folks were generous to provide space for free.
Hugin.sf.net would be *the* Hugin website. SF's webspace has limitation,
but hey, it's for free too. No good to host a Wiki, and the Wiki they
offer is not as good as the Wiki at Panotools.org. Same for SF's mailing
lists - GoogleGroup is just superior and prior to that the list was
hosted elsewhere. Always for free. And my blog... excuse me, it's mine ;-)

From my perspective I see no reason to centralize and even less reason
to limit what/where people can contribute. The only thing I am allergic
to are demands.

Yuv

Yuval Levy

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 18:10:0019/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
allard wrote:
> Sorry about that. I don't have the panomatic executable here. It seems
> not to be included in the SDK? Should have removed it from the setup
> menu. There may be more, similar issues. I only removed stuff that
> stopped the installer from building.

indeed there are more similar issues. In the big scheme of things, the
installer script provided in the repository is meant to distribute more
things for which I did not have time. Panomatic? Grab it from
http://panomatic.sourceforge.net/

then there are the panotools.

I am surprised that the InnoSetup compiler did not through an
error/warning when it did not find the files?

also you removed one important feature of the installer. At the end of
the installation, the installer go to a web page. You shortcut it to go
to hugin.sf.net.

The webpage it was going to in my design is a webpage that I maintain,
which based on the SVN number of the installer direct you to either

http://hugin.sf.net/installed/oldv.shtml (if you installed an old version)

or to http://hugin.sf.net/installed/ if you installed a recent version

the idea behind this is to notify people that they are using an old
installer and there are few reasons not to upgrade to the newest one.

somebody still installed an SVN2909 a few days ago, even if that version
is already more than obsolete. it is possible that the user had a reason
to go back to that package. I just make sure he knows that he is
installing obsolete stuff.

Yuv

Yuval Levy

não lida,
19 de fev. de 2009, 18:22:0519/02/2009
para hugi...@googlegroups.com
tennevin yves wrote:
> Installed it. (with the first and later with the second installer)
> Celeste seems missing in the install option, I am assuming the nsi will
> be modified to provide it.

Thanks for your feedback. I quickly fixed the files for the InnoSetup
installer in SVN. It adds Celeste and PTBatcher.

There will likely be more changes, but I have no time right now. I need
to determine which are the new tools from the panotools that would be
interesting for a distribution as well.

There are two installers in the hugin repository. I maintain the
InnoSetup installer. As far as I know, the MSI installer is unmaintained.

Yuv

Responder a todos
Responder ao autor
Encaminhar