[OSX] ImageFuser 0.7.4 released (as Open Source from now on)

Harry van der Wolf

Dec 22, 2009, 5:57:50 AM12/22/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi mac users,

I just released a new version of ImageFuser, version 0.7.4, my Gui for enfuse and align_image_stack.

Changelog:
* Added Preferences pane. Defined a "preferred start directory (for source images), a preferred "Save to" directory and a "debug" option. The last will write log entries to the system log. You can retrieve that info with a button.
* Checkbox settings of "Use align_image_stack", "Set image date to exif date" (both main screen and batch screen) and "Show image after enfuse" are remembered between program sessions. Note: this has no relation to Preferences.
* (The final) Enfuse 4.0 is now used (new option syntax is used).
* Align_Image_stack is updated to the "December version" of the Hugin trunk.

Note: This version is not tested on Tiger. End June my macbook crashed. I had a dual-boot system to work in Leopard and Tiger. After 6 weeks without mac I got myself another one. But I don't have Tiger anymore. Issues in the past that sometimes occurred when built on Leopard was the fact that opening images from a file dialog didn't work, but you could still drop files onto the table. I'm looking for a solution for Tiger but it's not on my priorities list.

ImageFuser released as Open Source
ImageFuser started as a series of "AppleScript droplets" for enfuse and align_image_stack. These droplets are still available via the hugin source tree[0].
When I started ImageFuser in September 2008 I built it as a tool for myself and I published the first (public) version as free, but closed source, in October 2008. It has always been my intent to release it "at some time" as Open Source, but only at the moment I was satisfied with the functionality AND after I had done some serious code cleanup as I'm not really a programmer and my source code might be quite messy. That "at some time" was planned 6-8 months after first release but it turns out to be more than a year.
The functionality suits my wishes for quite some time already but I never did the code cleanup.
This 0.7.4 version still contains old unused code (for my own reference) and also new code for the maybe upcoming 0.8 version (see screenshot at [1]). (I don't know when this 0.8 version will be released as I have currently decided to step back a little and do other things than sitting behind a mac far too often.)
As I don't want to delay it any further, I now release 0.7.4 as Open Source. (If experienced programmers start shooting at it, I will simply duck.)
In the coming days/weeks I will write a "howto" as the build environment and setup currently suits me very well, but might be unclear or even obscure to the outsider. It's also heavily based on the "External programs" build structure from OSX Hugin for align_image_stack and enfuse.

Further info, screenshots and download for this 0.7.4 version: Go to my website
<http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?lang=en&subject=ImageFuser&texttag=ImageFuser>

Hoi,
Harry

[0]: <svn co https://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/hugin/hugin/trunk hugin>
[1]: <http://panorama.dyndns.org/ImageFuser/ImageFuser-0.8.0-preview.png>. This 0.8.0 version will offer you the possibility to use 1 or more images from a bracketed set 0-5 times. To me this is a more practical approach then disabling an image or load another image twice.

David Haberthür

Dec 28, 2009, 6:58:14 AM12/28/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hoi Harry

On 22.12.2009, at 11:57, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
> Hi mac users,
>
> I just released a new version of ImageFuser, version 0.7.4, my Gui for enfuse and align_image_stack.

Thanks for keeping on releasing this fabulous piece of software.

I've notices one glitch with this new release, though: The photos from my camera (Nikon D80) don't seem to contain a CreationDate-Tag in their [exif]-tags, something which didn't seem to bother the versions of ImageFuser up to 0.7.3, which set the modificatin-date of the enfused images to the correct (original) date and time if requested.
But ImageFuser 0.7.4 complains that the photos don't contain this tag and throws an [error] when trying to enfuse photos. I've thought maybe that might have to do something with a new lens I got (unlikely, I know), so I've also tested it with some old [images] i know that I've enfused them without any error (and either ImageFuser 0.7.2 or 0.7.3).

Since I still haven't dipped my toe too much into programming I just email you this report and won't start digging myself into the code :)

Cheers from Switzerland, and a happy new year

Habi

[exif] http://habi.gna.ch/tmp/imgfuser/exif.png
[err0r] http://habi.gna.ch/tmp/imgfuser/CreationDate.png
[images] http://habi.gna.ch/tmp/imgfuser/DSC_3864.jpg http://habi.gna.ch/tmp/imgfuser/DSC_3864.jpg http://habi.gna.ch/tmp/imgfuser/DSC_3866.jpg