[Win32] hugin_0.7_svn3257_20080802 for download

Guido Kohlmeyer

Aug 2, 2008, 7:18:04 PM8/2/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
For testing a current build of hugin can be found on
http://hugin.panotools.org/testing/hugin/hugin_0.7_svn3257_20080802_win32.exe

The file is a self-extracting archive, no installer (see below)!

Autopano if needed:
http://hugin.panotools.org/testing/hugin/autopano-sift-C_svn3223_20080730_win32.exe

Revision information
====================
Hugin ........ : SVN 3257
Enblend/Enfuse : CVS update on 2008-08-02 (patched for MSVC)
Autopano-sift-C: SVN 3223

Contents
====================
The hugin archive contains the hugin build folder INSTALL/FILES
/bin
/doc
/share

How to install
====================
1) Simply execute the exe file
2) Enter a destination path in dialog and extract
3) In destination path some additional files are stored to create
desktop icon and file association (see README-HuginTestInstall.txt,
thanks to Tom). Otherwise run only hugin.exe.

Guido

Ken Warner

Aug 2, 2008, 10:51:09 PM8/2/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I tried 3257 on a nightmare pano I made last fall.

It was about 1/2 hour after sunset -- it was getting dark.
I was standing on a sandy slope with a monopod trying to
eyeball the overlap on a 2 inch LCD that I could barely see
because I forgot my glasses. I forgot to focus lock so all
images were autofocus.

It was cold, those white spots in the background are snow
from a couple of days before.

Two of the images were so dark the control point generator
couldn't find any features and I had to add points by hand
and I could barely make out features with my eyes.

But the auto-add; auto-optimize feature worked perfect.

There are 20 1540x2048 images. My machine has 512meg of
memory and an 800mhz PIII running Windows 2000 SP4.

The stitch took over an hour and the resulting pano was over
200meg tiff.

But Hugin ground it out. It worked! Hugin is getting stronger.

This is a small version. It's in my Java viewer so some of you
might not be able to see it.

http://pancyl.com/LakeMaryDucks3.htm

Here's a link to the pano.

http//pancyl.com/images/CenterNew_3.jpg

Ken Warner

Aug 4, 2008, 9:02:36 PM8/4/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You've done something wacky to the installer. I had
svn3028. I installed svn3257 in a separate folder.

I built a pano using svn3257 as I described in an
earlier message.

I thought everything was fine so I uninstalled svn3028
using the Add/Remove Control Panel. Then I cleaned out
my Registry using MaxRegClean.

Tried to build a 5 image partial cylinder pano with 16 bit TIFF.
When I go to the sticher tab and select cylindrical, Hugin crashes.

So I made 8 bit TIFF's from the same raw files. Load the images;
select cylindrical in the stitcher tab and Hugin crashes.

Everything worked until I uninstalled svn3028.

So I uninstalled svn3257; cleaned out my Registry again and downloaded
a fresh copy of svn3257. Same story. Crashes when I select cylindrical.

So frustrating...

Dane

Aug 5, 2008, 12:27:15 AM8/5/08
I could not get it to install, The unzipper gave a boatload of error
messages. When I tried again, The installer swore the directory was
already there, but windows explorer could not see it. Bizzare to me,
but I'm not a soft(ware) head.

On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ken Warner <kwarner...@verizon.net> wrote:
> You've done something wacky to the installer. I had
> svn3028. I installed svn3257 in a separate folder.
>
> I built a pano using svn3257 as I described in an
> earlier message.
>
> I thought everything was fine so I uninstalled svn3028
> using the Add/Remove Control Panel. Then I cleaned out
> my Registry using MaxRegClean.
>
> Tried to build a 5 image partial cylinder pano with 16 bit TIFF.
> When I go to the sticher tab and select cylindrical, Hugin crashes.
>
> So I made 8 bit TIFF's from the same raw files. Load the images;
> select cylindrical in the stitcher tab and Hugin crashes.
>
> Everything worked until I uninstalled svn3028.
>
> So I uninstalled svn3257; cleaned out my Registry again and downloaded
> a fresh copy of svn3257. Same story. Crashes when I select cylindrical.
>
> So frustrating...
>
> Guido Kohlmeyer wrote:
> > For testing a current build of hugin can be found on
> >http://hugin.panotools.org/testing/hugin/hugin_0.7_svn3257_20080802_w...
>
> > The file is a self-extracting archive, no installer (see below)!
>
> > Autopano if needed:
> >http://hugin.panotools.org/testing/hugin/autopano-sift-C_svn3223_2008...

Guido Kohlmeyer

Aug 5, 2008, 3:51:07 AM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
The executable is a self extracting 7-zip archive. If you have 7-zip
installed (it's free of charge), you can try to use it to uncompress the
archive.
I tested to uncompress the file before upload and right after download. No
error or problem occured. Maybe a problem of you system.

Guido

Ken Warner

Aug 5, 2008, 8:18:38 AM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Right, it's always my computer. Yet everything else runs fine.
I did the same images in PTGui in about 2 minutes.

Yuval Levy

Aug 5, 2008, 9:06:04 AM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Ken Warner wrote:
> Right, it's always my computer.

no, it's not your computer, it's your attitude. Guido specified clearly
that the download provided is *for testing purposes*, not for
production/consumption purpose.

Ken Warner wrote:
> You've done something wacky to the installer.

why are you pointing a fingers? you have done whatever you did to
yourself / your computer. take responsibility for what you did. If the
previous version worked well, why did you change it?

I find your expectations toward the people who are trying to advance
hugin unacceptable. We are not on your payroll and we are not obliged to
you.

Most of the time the problems you report are self-inflicted. At least
have the decency to take responsibility for your actions.

The downloads are always provided as-is, with no warranty for fitness
for any purpose. Use at your own risk. Or don't use. But be responsible
for your decisions.

Yuv

Ken Warner

Aug 5, 2008, 9:13:45 AM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
So I tested it and it didn't work.
What am I supposed to say?

Seems like anyone who finds a problem
with your software is a cretin who
is out to get you.

Maybe you have the attitude problem.

Ken Warner

Aug 5, 2008, 9:18:44 AM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
And did you even read my email?

I had a previous version svn302?? Then
I installed the latest recommended version.

Both worked but the latest version svn3257
worked better so I uninstalled svn302?? (don't remember
exactly the version number)

Then svn3257 *STOPPED WORKING*. So that's my
fault huh? When your software stops working on my computer
that's my fault.

Wow. You are so screwed up. I offer information and
it's kill the messenger.

Best wishes Yuval. I'm done trying to make your garbage
software work.

Seb Perez-D

Aug 5, 2008, 9:28:13 AM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 15:18, Ken Warner <kwarn...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Then svn3257 *STOPPED WORKING*. So that's my
> fault huh? When your software stops working on my computer
> that's my fault.

You uninstalled 3028 and cleaned the registry with MaxRegClean. I
don't know what maxregclean is but this may be the cause of your
problem. Maybe you need a better registry cleaner (why do you even
need on? have you complained with the makers of MRC ?)

If 3028 was in your Add/remove programs, it's because it was an
installer based hugin, whereas this one is a zip based one.

3257 worked once, so the problem is not with 3257, it is with what
happened after that.

Maybe you could share the pto file and the set of images so that we
can look at what is going on?

> I'm done trying to make your garbage software work.

Great. Thanks.

Seb

cr...@ukonline.co.uk

Aug 5, 2008, 12:39:26 PM8/5/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Seb Perez-D <sbprz...@gmail.com>:

> > I'm done trying to make your garbage software work.
>
> Great. Thanks.
>
> Seb

yeah! he's an ungratefull sort and rude with it.

regards

mick

Tom Sharpless

Aug 5, 2008, 10:05:34 PM8/5/08
As usual, I pretty much agree with Seb.

Registry cleaners can, but rarely do, screw things up, mainly for
packages that use the Registry in "creative" (aka stupid) ways. Hugin
is not one of those packages. So it is a valid mystery why Ken's
system no longer runs hugin build 3257.

The self-installing archives that Guido and I distribute just create
some new directories with a complete new set of hugin binaries in
them. They don't modify the Registry and they don't mess with
anything outside those directories. So all you have to do to
"uninstall" them is delete those directories. Our distributions
include optional Windows scripts that create shortcuts, one of which
"removes" the version by doing just that.

The Windows installer package Yuv builds does post Registry settings
and has to be formally uninstalled to reverse those changes. It may
or may not also "update" other files, I don't know, but many
installers do. There could be side effects of either the uninstall or
the subsequent registry cleaning that would make a new hugin not run,
but I would expect something more immediate than what Ken describes.

On Windows, hugin's persistent settings (preferences, last project
directory, etc) are kept in the Registry (on Linux they are in a
private .ini file). There is just one copy of this information,
shared by all installed versions of hugin. It is conceivable that a
very old and a recent hugin version might break each other through
this interaction, but not two recent ones.

If the .pto file type is associated with a hugin executable, that is
also in the Registry; so are window classes registered by WxWidgets,
Windows software assembly GUIDs and probably other stuff needed to run
hugin. But none of that seems likely to be the cause of the crash Ken
reports. And we can rule out "wrong DLL version" as hugin doesn't use
any (apart from the ones that implement the Windows API).

So Ken, I hope when you are feeling better you may also feel like
investigating this further. The first thing I would ask is whether
rebooting Windows fixes it. In my experience, that works far oftener
than Microsoft would like to admit.

Regards, Tom

Yuval Levy

Aug 7, 2008, 12:44:45 AM8/7/08
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Tom Sharpless wrote:
> The self-installing archives that Guido and I distribute just create
> some new directories with a complete new set of hugin binaries in
> them. They don't modify the Registry

mhhh... what does HuginSetup.vbs in your archive do?

> The Windows installer package Yuv builds does post Registry settings
> and has to be formally uninstalled to reverse those changes. It may
> or may not also "update" other files, I don't know, but many
> installers do. There could be side effects of either the uninstall or
> the subsequent registry cleaning that would make a new hugin not run,
> but I would expect something more immediate than what Ken describes.

over 14.000 installed and a current download rate of 150/day - if that
was the case there would be "a few complaints".

the only directory that my installer touches is the one defined by the
user as target for the installation. If the user does not change the
default settings, this is C:\Program Files\Hugin

Yuv