Re: SourceForge.net Update: 2009-09-30 Edition

Bruno Postle

Oct 1, 2009, 5:21:46 AM10/1/09
to Hugin ptx
I don't normally read this stuff, but I thought it was amusing to
see that hugin is 'project number 22' at sourceforge:

On Thu 01-Oct-2009 at 04:19 +0000, SourceForge.net Team wrote:

>Top 25 Projects:

[snip]

>22. hugin
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin
>Panorama stitching and more. A powerful software package for creation and
>processing of panoramic images. Similar to the windows programs PTGui and
>PTAssembler.

Yuval Levy

Oct 1, 2009, 8:40:42 AM10/1/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

cool. I thought I had removed the "Similar to the windows programs PTGui
and PTAssembler"? I prefer self-contained definitions.

Yuv

Bruno Postle

Oct 1, 2009, 8:56:54 AM10/1/09
to Hugin ptx
On Thu 01-Oct-2009 at 08:40 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:

>cool. I thought I had removed the "Similar to the windows programs PTGui
>and PTAssembler"? I prefer self-contained definitions.

It is still there on the project page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/

The PTGui and PTAssembler bit needs to go, it is a bad comparison
anyway.

--
Bruno

Yuval Levy

Oct 1, 2009, 11:08:57 AM10/1/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

yes.

<sarcasm>too many misunderstandings with the kind of users that I soo
much like and that motivates me to produce binaries.</sarcasm>

http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/6870/

http://www.panoguide.com/forums/commercial/6878/

I think our marketing line should read something like:

"versatile perspective manipulation programs suite for the discerning
user's panorama workflow and more"

what do you think?

Yuv

Bruno Postle

Oct 1, 2009, 11:33:31 AM10/1/09
to Hugin ptx
On Thu 01-Oct-2009 at 11:08 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:

><sarcasm>too many misunderstandings with the kind of users that I soo
>much like and that motivates me to produce binaries.</sarcasm>

It is these people who think it is desperately urgently important to
dump on any and all open source software as soon as it is mentioned
that caused me to stop sending release announcements to the
panotoolsng list.

>I think our marketing line should read something like:
>
>"versatile perspective manipulation programs suite for the discerning
>user's panorama workflow and more"

I already settled on the simple and true "Hugin is a panorama
stitcher and more."

I just never got around to changing all the docs...

--
Bruno

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 1, 2009, 12:26:23 PM10/1/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

2009/10/1 Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch>

<sarcasm>too many misunderstandings with the kind of users that I soo
much like and that motivates me to produce binaries.</sarcasm>

http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/6870/

I don't know what he's doing to make Hugin crash. I don't here others about it.

http://www.panoguide.com/forums/commercial/6878/

Hans doesn't know what he's talking about when referring to Bracketeer. Brian is using my enfuse and align_image_stack binaries for quite some time now (over a year). The problems bracketeer now has, have nothing to do with enfuse, but with the fact that bracketeer is a "Carbon" frontend which is "outdated" and badly supported on Snow Leopard. Due to this fact the parameters that are send from the frontend to enfuse make enfuse bark. It's not enfuse itself.
Brian knows this and is rebuilding bracketeer in the current "Cocoa" frontend which is the way Apple wants it since 10.3.9.

I tend to register on panoguide only to respond on Hans'  incorrect mails but that will only start a flame and it's not worth the time IMO.

Harry

Yuval Levy

Oct 1, 2009, 1:58:17 PM10/1/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Bruno Postle wrote:
> I already settled on the simple and true "Hugin is a panorama
> stitcher and more."

OK.

> I just never got around to changing all the docs...

will happen over time, I guess...

Yuv

Yuval Levy

Oct 1, 2009, 5:45:10 PM10/1/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Harry van der Wolf wrote:
> I tend to register on panoguide only to respond on Hans' incorrect mails
> but that will only start a flame and it's not worth the time IMO.

Panoguide is strictly moderated - the flame would be surgically removed
in no time.

Indeed it is not worth responding to stupid remarks (and I forget that
too often) but IMO we should not simply disengage and let false
statements stand. We have some communication and some expectation
management to do.

Disengaging is not the right thing to do IMO. People's expectation
toward Hugin do not match the reality. We need to reclaim our right to
define ourselves through our views and not through their expectations.

I'm here to learn what I don't know yet, teach what I know, and have fun
in the process. I am not here to produce a finished product for them. If
our by-product is useful to them, good for them. But they have no right
to expect anything from us.

We determine what we release. Nobody should dictate to us what a release
is and what is not.

We determine what we support and how. Nobody has a right to demand anything.

We determine our objectives - each of us individually and collectively
as an aggregate. Nobody has the right to boss anybody around. If
somebody wants to compare, at least they should be knowing what they are
doing.

In this specific case I am tempted to say that the bug lies between the
back-rest and the keyboard, and probably belongs in the "won't fix"
category ;-)

Yuv

Harry van der Wolf

Oct 2, 2009, 4:56:47 PM10/2/09
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

2009/10/1 Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch>

In this specific case I am tempted to say that the bug lies between the
back-rest and the keyboard, and probably belongs in the "won't fix"
category ;-)

We call that a "pibkac". An abbreviation for "problem is between keyboard and chair".  The helpdesk team in our company uses it. They can easily use such a word even with the user around. It's not so friendly but some of the "helpdesk jokes" are for real.

Harry