Clear Cache option in Fiddler

wes

Aug 23, 2010, 5:13:26 PM8/23/10
to Fiddler
I'm not a developer, but I've found a situation with some of my
clients that could not be fixed with any other cache clearing method
except using Fiddler's Clear cache function.

Can anyone help me understand exactly what Fiddler's clear cache did?

Which files did it delete? How does it clear cache? I'm trying to
find out the specifics and would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Wes

EricLaw

Aug 25, 2010, 10:43:26 AM8/25/10
to Fiddler
Clear Cache simply uses the public WinINET APIs to clear the user's
cache, just like the "Delete Temporary Internet Files" feature inside
of IE itself.

-Eric

wes

Aug 25, 2010, 2:32:45 PM8/25/10
to Fiddler
Thanks for the response! But, I'm fairly positive the "Delete
Temporary Internet Files" does do something differently from Clear
Cache in Fiddler. Is there anyway to find out which WinINET API calls
are being used by the Clear Cache?
> > Wes- Hide quoted text -

EricLaw

Aug 25, 2010, 2:59:21 PM8/25/10
to Fiddler
As someone who has the source code to IE and the source code to
Fiddler, I can let you know that they're calling the same APIs.

Chad Sowald

Aug 26, 2010, 11:01:28 AM8/26/10
to Fiddler
Out of curiosity, is anything special done for the pages currently
open in IE when you clear the cache?

EricLaw

Aug 26, 2010, 1:52:23 PM8/26/10
to Fiddler
Not really, no. WinINET has the notion of a "leak list"-- if a cache
file is currently open and thus it cannot be deleted, it's put on the
"leak list" so that it will be deleted as soon as it becomes unlocked.
It's possible that if you're currently viewing a page, some of its
cache files may be in use and thus get added to the leak list for
future deletion.

Cabanaworld

Aug 26, 2010, 3:11:50 PM8/26/10
to Fiddler
Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our questions. I agree
with Wes at the beginning of this discussion. Using the "Clear WININET
Cache" does something different than just deleting the Internet cache.
The only version of IE this is having an issue with is IE 6 (all SPs).
On a clients machine we have done the following:

1. Use CCleaner (LOVE THIS TOOL!!)
2. Windows Disk Cleaner
3. Rebooted so that nothing is open
4. All index.dat files and folders that apps use as temp clear are all
clear.

However, when opening the page to the web portal it goes up gray with
an errors. The moment the "Clear WININET Cache" button is clicked and
cleans in second, I can refresh the page and it begins to load
instintaniously (you can actually see in the Fiddler Trace that its
connecting and loading whereas before we would see the HTTP Requests
with nothing back)

Works fine with Firefox and IE 7 or IE 8. But with IE 6 we need to
clear the cache after some coding to the page was updated (Java). If
the machine has never been to that webportal before the code change on
it, there i no issue.

Would you be able to point me to the right direction on what exactly
is being clear within the code for that button? Anything would be
appreciated (links, code example for that clearing)

Thank you,

Nando

Justin Grant

Oct 21, 2010, 7:46:00 AM10/21/10
to Fiddler
Hi Eric - related to this thread, I ran just across a blog post from a
developer who is unable to clear out cached redirects from IE9 without
using Fiddler to do the clearing. IE's own cache clearing UI didn't
work to clear out redirects from the cache. See
http://www.sadev.co.za/content/redirected-down-one-way-clearing-internet-explorer-host-redirect-cache

Is this a known problem in IE9, and if so do you know if it will be
fixed by RTM?

The expected behavior would be that redirect caches would be cleared
whenever temporary internet files are cleared in the IE UI, even if
cookies, history, etc. are not selected to be cleared in the IE UI.

EricLaw

Oct 21, 2010, 10:01:26 PM10/21/10
to Fiddler
Yes, this is a known-bug in IE9 Beta. You can safely expect it to be
fixed.