Status Code for Aborted Requests

Drit

Jul 7, 2010, 9:35:35 AM7/7/10
to HTTP Archive Specification
There are some use cases in IE whereby requests are aborted, primarly
on image requests that repeat, and in these cases there is no response
received from the client, and therefore no Status Code.

In the spec the "Status Code" is not optional, and tools like
HTTPWatch enforce it and dont allow null, 0, or -1.

What should we do in this case? I would hate to remove the entry, or
use the wrong HTTP Status code.

thanks

drit

Ryan Breen

Jul 7, 2010, 9:53:46 AM7/7/10
to http-archive-...@googlegroups.com
At Gomez, we arbitrarily chose 299 as the response code for aborted
requests. These requests take up real time and resources, but they
can't fairly be classified as object errors, so something in the range
of success codes makes the most sense. At the same time, we wanted a
clear separation between our 'Aborted' status and the range of defined
codes, so the far end of the success code space made the most sense.

Ryan

Drit

Jul 7, 2010, 10:34:32 AM7/7/10
to HTTP Archive Specification
I guess the 299 error code is a nice little hack, and your argument
for being in the 200 makes sense. It is not necessarily a failure,
although this could vary by client. If it were to happen on a tracking
pixel, it could be really bad and they might need to fix it.

In any case I would like to see a solution where the HTTP Status is
not required or accepts -1 (like the spec specifies for other fields)!
The fact is that there was no response, as the request was canceled -
and this needs to be properly reflected in the data.

drit