Recycling computer equipment

Frank

Nov 26, 2004, 11:10:29 PM11/26/04
Is there anybody in the Huntsville area that collects computer
hardware, some of which may need some (minor, I hope) repair work to
pass along to charitable groups that can use it? I've got several
items I need to get out of the house, but I'm reluctant to just set
stuff that may be useful to someone out by the curb.

Bob Wilson

Nov 27, 2004, 9:39:07 AM11/27/04
Frank <some...@someplace.net> wrote:

Until this year, the 'gnomes' would pick it up. But I'd left a
"Franklin" PC, 8 MB, 100 MB hard disk, sub-100 MHz unit by the curb and
the 'gnome' tossed it into the garbage can . . . I left it there.

Bob Wilson

Frank

Nov 27, 2004, 10:13:39 AM11/27/04
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:39:07 -0600, bwils...@hotmail.com (Bob
Wilson) wrote:

>Until this year, the 'gnomes' would pick it up. But I'd left a
>"Franklin" PC, 8 MB, 100 MB hard disk, sub-100 MHz unit by the curb and
>the 'gnome' tossed it into the garbage can . . . I left it there.
>
>Bob Wilson

I'm on a low traffic cul-de-sac and I doubt the 'gnomes' would even
happen to see it - if they were still active. I have an HP 1200 series
laser printer that has gone crank on me (won't complete it's startup
sequence) a couple of color CRT displays and at least one viable
desktop computer that I know someone culd use. I could use the space
more.

Nik Simpson

Nov 27, 2004, 11:08:45 AM11/27/04

Try freecycle.org, they have a HSV chapter.

--
Nik Simpson

Ron Hammon

Nov 27, 2004, 12:54:54 PM11/27/04
Nik Simpson wrote:

snip

Hey, Nik. Does bad weather follow you around? ;-)

--
Ron Hammon
Remove the "y" from ".nyet", when present, to reach me.

Nik Simpson

Nov 27, 2004, 1:29:18 PM11/27/04
Ron Hammon wrote:
> Nik Simpson wrote:
>>

> snip
>
> Hey, Nik. Does bad weather follow you around? ;-)

Weather's OK over here, a bit wet last week, but nothing spectacular. I
drive over a bridge on the Chatahoochee every morning and the level barely
seemed to budge, mind you it's just down river from Buford Dam.

--
Nik Simpson

Ron Hammon

Nov 27, 2004, 7:55:52 PM11/27/04

Headline News implied that there were tonadoes around Atlanta this week.

Nik Simpson

Nov 27, 2004, 9:17:20 PM11/27/04
Ron Hammon wrote:
> Nik Simpson wrote:
>>
>> Ron Hammon wrote:
>>> Nik Simpson wrote:
>>>>

>>> snip
>>>
>>> Hey, Nik. Does bad weather follow you around? ;-)
>>
>> Weather's OK over here, a bit wet last week, but nothing
>> spectacular. I drive over a bridge on the Chatahoochee every morning
>> and the level barely seemed to budge, mind you it's just down river
>> from Buford Dam.
>>

> Headline News implied that there were tonadoes around Atlanta this
> week.

Not round me, but I live a good way NE of downtown (35-40miles)

--
Nik Simpson

Bob Wilson

Nov 29, 2004, 9:22:55 AM11/29/04
Nik Simpson <n_si...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > Headline News implied that there were tonadoes around Atlanta this
> > week.
>
> Not round me, but I live a good way NE of downtown (35-40miles)

Is this permanent or temporary?

Bob Wilson

Nik Simpson

Nov 29, 2004, 11:04:07 AM11/29/04

As permanent as anything in this life ;-) I started a new job in Atlanta
back in August and moved into a house in Sugar Hill in October.

--
Nik Simpson

sc

Nov 29, 2004, 10:50:37 AM11/29/04
Try Tom Stephens @ Electronics Recycling, Madison 256-464-7985

"Frank" <some...@someplace.net> wrote in message

Bob Wilson

Nov 29, 2004, 9:30:10 PM11/29/04
Nik Simpson <n_si...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > Is this permanent or temporary?
> >

> As permanent as anything in this life ;-) I started a new job in Atlanta
> back in August and moved into a house in Sugar Hill in October.

Good luck although I have to admit, the Atlanta traffic always reminds
me of the advantages of Huntsville.

Bob Wilson

Tim Hunter

Nov 29, 2004, 10:58:41 PM11/29/04

"Bob Wilson" <bwils...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Traffic is like the weather, no matter where you are folks complain about
it. How many hundreds of messages have crossed this board about traffic?

Tim

Nik Simpson

Nov 30, 2004, 6:39:38 AM11/30/04

At the moment, my commute is great, about 12 miles in about 20 minutes
through lovely country side. Of course, there are lots of sub-divisions
being built along the route, so I don't know how long that'll last. But for
now its great, in fact the gas mileage on my Porsche went from around
220miles/tank to almost 300 on this commute, and its a very fun drive :-)

--
Nik Simpson

Bob Wilson

Nov 30, 2004, 6:46:42 AM11/30/04
Nik Simpson <n_si...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > Good luck although I have to admit, the Atlanta traffic always reminds
> > me of the advantages of Huntsville.
>
> At the moment, my commute is great, about 12 miles in about 20 minutes
> through lovely country side. Of course, there are lots of sub-divisions
> being built along the route, so I don't know how long that'll last. But for
> now its great, in fact the gas mileage on my Porsche went from around
> 220miles/tank to almost 300 on this commute, and its a very fun drive :-)

Cool!

Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson

Nov 30, 2004, 6:53:36 AM11/30/04
Tim Hunter <thu...@bombast.bet> wrote:

> > Good luck although I have to admit, the Atlanta traffic always reminds
> > me of the advantages of Huntsville.
>
> Traffic is like the weather, no matter where you are folks complain about
> it. How many hundreds of messages have crossed this board about traffic?

It is hard for me to complain about HSV traffic. Some of the drivers are
more amusing than the law allows but they are more a hazard to
themselves than others. Complaining about our 'rush minute' doesn't get
a whole lot of sympathy.

Bob Wilson

Tim Hunter

Nov 30, 2004, 10:03:50 AM11/30/04

"Nik Simpson" <n_si...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

My commute now consists of walking to my computer room and logging in.
Instead of 15,000 miles per year on my car, I now put on about 8,000. :-)

Tim

Ron Hammon

Nov 30, 2004, 12:14:43 PM11/30/04

It's a bitch not being able to quit and go home though.

pcNOT

Dec 1, 2004, 10:38:43 AM12/1/04
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:13:39 -0600, Frank <some...@someplace.net>
wrote:

I'll pick 'em up!

which cul-de-sac?

Frank

Dec 1, 2004, 4:22:25 PM12/1/04
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:38:43 -0600, pcNOT <nun...@knowhere.net> wrote:

>I'll pick 'em up!
>
>which cul-de-sac?

Wtch this space! When I can get the stuff shifted to an accessible
(but dry) location, I'll post a heads up to you here.