'You will Answer For Our Pilot!'

Memorial.Rus

Nov 25, 2011, 9:17:35 AM11/25/11
to hrcmemo...@googlegroups.com
'You will Answer For Our Pilot!'

The consequences of the Russian authorities' biased response to the sentencing of pilots in Tajikistan

The Tajik courts have release pilots Vladimir Sadovnichi and Aleksei Rudenko. They were pardoned, and because of the Tajik prosecutors' concerns the sentence was reduced to two and a half years.

We are all pleased that the pilots have been released and that Russia did not abandon then to misfortune, but fought for them.

Anton Orekh on radio 'Moscow Echo' is glad. He is glad and hopes that Tajiks, who have unfairly suffered, will now once again be warmly received in Russia. Only recently 'a bruchid weevil magically died' in fruit from Tajikistan, 'Tajiks once again will have references and stamps', 'and, finally, a secret Tajik syphilis will take breath in the encroaching cold, along with tuberculosis and HIV' (http://echo.msk.ru/blog/oreh/832541-echo – in Russian).

These hopes are not going to come true.

Here are some stories told by immigrants who have suffered indirectly as a result of the Russian authorities' 'biased response' and who came to us for help.

Ikhtiyor Sarakhanov arrived in Moscow in May this year, signed onto the migration register, and began working on a construction site without a contract.

When the hunt for Tajiks began, Ikhtiyor decided to return home. With the last of his money he bought a plane ticket. Normally Tajiks don't fly, as it is too expensive. Ikhtiyor was evidently very scared that he would be deported and Russia would be closed off to him for five years. On November 18th he arrived at Domodedovo airport for flight 639 Moscow-Dushanbe. He did not get to enter the airport as he was detained by police officers who took him to the offices of the Federal Migration Services (FMS). There were already over twenty Tajiks.

What did they want from them? 'They wanted money – 2000 rubles per Tajik,' said Ikhtiyor. Why? The explanation is simple: 'For our pilots, so no-one would insult them'.

The majority of the detainees quickly handed over the 2000 rubles and legged it. Six others, including Ikhtiyor, did not have the money. They were held for some time, but once the aeroplane had taken off, they were released.

Ikhtiyor took his ticket to member of the Board of Human Rights Centre 'Memorial' and chair of the Committee 'Civic Assistance' Svetlana Gannushkina. He unfortunately had not taken the telephone numbers of the other Tajiks. There were no witnesses, but he did not come to complain about what had happened. Tajiks are the humblest of immigrants. He came to ask for money to leave. But when we do give out money, if we have it, it is for food, and even then only very little.

It would be interesting to know where the money taken from these Tajiks went. Surely it has not been transferred into the account of the aggrieved pilot's family, which has been left without a breadwinner (Sadovnichi had not yet been released at that time)?

Dzhokhongir Gulov arrived in Moscow in October 2010. All of his documentation was fine. On November 19th Gulov was driving his car in Volgograd district. He was stopped by members of the Road Patrol Service not far from Sagorovo who demanded 200,000 rubles from him. Also for Sadovnichi's family. They said: 'You will answer for our pilot!'

Dzhokhongir handed over 50,000 rubles and left, but not without remembering the police officer's number and numberplate. He was initially prepared to make a complaint, but as he did not go to a lawyer, he obviously changed his mind.

Asleddin Ergashev arrived in Moscow in September 2010. On November 17th he was moving to a new flat with spare tires in his boot when he was stopped by police officers who, having seen his Tajik passport, took him to the Ramenki DIA. There they started processing a charge of theft of tires from an unidentified person. Asleddin, frightened, asked to be let go, offering them his Uzbek Nexia car. They told him that his car was worth too little and would not work as a bribe, because Tajiks had convicted our pilot. It is true that they allowed Asleddin to call a friend. Employee of HRC 'Memorial' Bakhrom Kharoev came when he called. The police released them both.

So you see what our people are like – together we come to the protection of our pilot! Onishchenko (Russian Minister of Health care) is not alone in wanting to protect Russia from the Tajiks' pale spirochaete, Kokha sticks, and bruchid weevils. And they will not release the hundreds of Tajiks detained and sentenced to administrative deportation. How can they release them? The court has sentenced them to deportation! How is it possible to change hundreds of court orders? And who will appeal? Plus the period for appeal is ten days, and for many that has already passed.

No, Anton Orekh is not right when he concluded his optimistic statement with the words: 'Easy come, easy go'. This will not go easily – this 'biased response' will resound for a long time yet, for us and for Tajiks.

Svetlana Gannushkina

For further information see 'Hunting Tajiks: Why does Russia deport Tajiks whose papers are fine?':
http://www.memo.ru/eng/news/2011/11/22/2211111.html

November 25, 2011