In Support of the Golos Association. Statement by the International Society Memorial

Human Rights Center Memorial

Dec 1, 2011, 4:42:51 AM12/1/11
to hrcmemo...@googlegroups.com

In Support of the Golos Association

Statement by the International Society Memorial

The closer the day of the elections in the State Duma is, the bigger nervousness by the Russian authorities is shown.

Recently, the Golos Association which observes the elections and fixes the violations since 2000 has become the subject of unpresedented attacks.

"Rossiiskaya Gazeta" (Russian Newspaper) published an article regarding this respected organization. The article does not differ from the stories by Soviet hack writers about Andrey Sakharov or Alexander Solzhenitsyn at all.

"Edinaya Rossia" (United Russia), LDPR (Liberal Democratic Party of Russia) and "Spravedlivaya Rossia" (Fair Russia) deputies submitted a collective request to the General Prosecutor Chaika where they ask to react at the activity of the Golos Association pointing out that it allegedly violates Russian elections law rudely.

The main complaint is as easy as those of the officials of Cheka: the organization gets money from foreign organizations, so it conducts subversive activities. During the party congress of Edinaya Rossia Putin made the same claim in the address of  non-governmental organizations.

We don't believe that today it makes sense to demand from the authorities to stop slander campain against independent observers and to apologize to the Golos in public. Such hysterias don't stop on someone's request.

We just want to attract public's attention to the fact that current authorities are not concerned with possible misrepresentation of the electorate's will during the poll but with the activity of those who can notice and denounce this misrepresentation. The causes of such one-sided concern seem to be obvious.

We express our support and respect to the Golos Association and to all those who make efforts to reduce number of possible falsifications during the upcoming elections.

December 1, 2011