Joint Statement of Human Rights Organizations on the Establishing of a Special Unit in the Russian Investigative Committee

Memorial.Rus

Apr 20, 2012, 9:45:50 AM4/20/12
to hrcmemo...@googlegroups.com
Joint Statement of Human Rights Organizations on the Establishing of a Special Unit in the Russian Investigative Committee

We welcome the decision of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation (ICRF) to create a new unit specialized in investigating into offenses committed by officials of law enforcement agencies.

We are pleased that our call to establish such a unit, addressed less than a month ago to the head of the ICRF Aleksander Bastrykin, has been not only heard but also put into practice in such a short period of time.

We would like to thank all the citizens that supported us and signed our petition in Internet.

We notice with satisfaction that, according to the information given by the ICFR itself, many of our concrete proposals on how the new unit should be established have been taken into consideration, like, in particular, the need to ensure the independence of investigators from regional authorities; the independence of  the operative support from those against whom a preliminary inquiry or checks are conducted; to arrange clear analytical tasks of practice of investigating into such criminal cases and to develop effective methods of investigation, as well as measures to prevent such crimes.
We recommend the ICFR to provide the new unit with the necessary experienced staff and means in order to enable it to fully, comprehensively and objectively investigate into all cases related to such offenses in accordance with the Russian Constitution and international standards.

We believe that the ICFR and its new unit in collaboration with civic organizations can positively contribute to fully, comprehensively and objectively investigate into offenses committed by officials of law enforcement bodies. We confirm our readiness to cooperate with the ICFR and its newly established unit to ensure effective investigations.

We will continue to monitor investigations into such cases, using every legal mechanism available, to seek to improve, where appropriate, the effectiveness of this work and inform the public about the results.

L. Alekseeva, head of the “Moscow Helsinki Group”
O. Orlov, head of the Board of Human Rights Center “Memorial”
N. Taubina, director of the “Civic Verdict” Foundation
I. Kalyapin, head of the “Committee against Torture”
P. Chikov, head of the inter-regional association of human rights organizations “AGORA”
S. Gannushkina, head of the “Civic Assistance” Committee
N. Zboroshenko, co-coordinator of the programs on civic control for the human rights bodies of the “Youth Human Rights Movement”
A. Nazarov, head of the “Krasnoyarsky Civic Committee for the Defense of Human Rights”
B. Pustynzev, head of the human rights organization “Civic Control”

April 20, 2012