Street Spam

Larry Kessler

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:05:29 GMT, CAUSS <ca...@mail.com> wrote:

>We are a group of citizens who are very active in fighting the problem
>of Commercial Advertising signs nailed to utility poles and stakes stuck
>into the ground throughout our communities. These signs are not only
>illegal, but they make our neighborhoods look low rent. The people that
>hang these signs are freeloaders, usually promoting low class or bogus
>enterprises such as "Get Rich Working at Home", "Lose Weight Overnight",
>"Cheap Insurance", etc etc.

They're called "bandit signs" and the City of Houston has a squad
devoted solely to pulling them down. What's your plan?

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use." - Galileo

kasja

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
i missed the start of this what is it about?

Larry Kessler <lkes...@wt.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:06:15 GMT, CAUSS <ca...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <380c63bc.87087357@news-server>, lkes...@wt.net says...

> >> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:05:29 GMT, CAUSS <ca...@mail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> They're called "bandit signs" and the City of Houston has a squad
> >> devoted solely to pulling them down. What's your plan?
> >

> >We'd be interested do know how the city of Houston is engaging in the
> >removal of these signs. On my trips down there I have noticed lots of
> >them, even more than Dallas. We are dedicated to fighting this problem
> >all over the country, so let us know how we can help
>
> They have a stake truck and ladders that a crew takes around to the
> various street corners where they pop up. The crew takes down the
> signs and tosses them into the truck bed. The truck has signs on its
> rear and sides that say "BANDIT SIGNS" with the universal red circle
> and slash-thru on it. City of Houston's Dept. of Public Works can
> probably tell you more about this.

CAUSS

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
In article <380c63bc.87087357@news-server>, lkes...@wt.net says...
> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:05:29 GMT, CAUSS <ca...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> They're called "bandit signs" and the City of Houston has a squad
> devoted solely to pulling them down. What's your plan?

We'd be interested do know how the city of Houston is engaging in the
removal of these signs. On my trips down there I have noticed lots of
them, even more than Dallas. We are dedicated to fighting this problem
all over the country, so let us know how we can help

HammerHead
www.causs.org

Larry Kessler

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:06:15 GMT, CAUSS <ca...@mail.com> wrote:

They have a stake truck and ladders that a crew takes around to the

Philip Anders

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99

kasja wrote in message ...

>i missed the start of this what is it about?

go to www.causs.org. It will tell you all about it

Dave O'Shea

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

CAUSS <ca...@mail.com> wrote in message

> We are a group of citizens who are very active in fighting the problem
> of Commercial Advertising signs nailed to utility poles and stakes stuck
> into the ground throughout our communities. These signs are not only
> illegal, but they make our neighborhoods look low rent. The people that
> hang these signs are freeloaders, usually promoting low class or bogus
> enterprises such as "Get Rich Working at Home", "Lose Weight Overnight",
> "Cheap Insurance", etc etc

Someone in the NW area has been painting over literally hundreds of them.
They don't seem to last more than a few days. I'd love to find out who the
fellow is.. and buy him a case of paint!

But, yah. You have to wonder how stupid someone would have to be to think
that someone is going to "pay you $40 to lose weight!".. Or that someone
seedy enough to post cardboard roadside signs is going to sell sound
insurance policies.

Patrick L. Humphrey

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

That's why some streets in Sharpstown are getting their telephone poles
divested of street spam, too -- and though CAUSS is up north in the Metroplex,
they just might be getting a new member from Harris County in the not too
distant future. (http://www.causs.org is where you can find out the details.)

--PLH, case of paint? Rip 'em down -- they're abandoned property, bu the city
code

Logan Villa

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
Patrick L. Humphrey <pat...@io.com> wrote in message
> --PLH, case of paint? Rip 'em down -- they're abandoned property, by the
city
> code

I like what some people are doing in the 1960 area. They put stickers over
the signs. Are there any County ordinances that apply to these signs, either
on telephone poles or the medians, like the city has? LV

Patrick L. Humphrey

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
"Logan Villa" <log...@pdq.net> writes:

Dunno about any county regulations, but an even more obvious way of letting
the spammers know that they're being watched is to only remove the part of the
sign with the phone numbers. (Some signs aren't easily done that way, though,
so for them, ripping them down is about the only alternative.)

--PLH, who may get some practice in this weekend