Worst meals ever (in last 12 months)

1 view

Anthony Fremont

Apr 19, 2005, 5:06:50 PM4/19/05
In descending order of patheticness:

* Texas Roadhouse 290/Hwy6 - WORST STEAK OF MY LIFE (believe it)

Funny that the server spent so much time explaining to us how wonderful
they were and then we were served food that wasn't fit to eat. My
"steak" seemed to have been cooked way earlier in the day and then
tossed back on the grill to sort of heat it up for serving, my ribs were
refrigerator cold in the middle. Nasty.

* Joe's Crab Shack on 290 - bad service, worse food

They weren't busy, so I don't know what their problem was. Really slow
service and cold food.

* Applebee's on 290/Hwy6 - really, really bad food, bad service

Obviously following McDonald's lead on synthetic food.

The only consistently good place that I know of is China Villa in Jersey
Village. It's never been anything but piping hot and right every time.
Come on people visit this place, with his new baby he could use the
business and it really is excellent food.

Tina Marie

Apr 20, 2005, 2:22:57 PM4/20/05
In article <Kpe9e.15903$AE6....@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Anthony Fremont wrote:
> * Texas Roadhouse 290/Hwy6 - WORST STEAK OF MY LIFE (believe it)

We eat there every once in a while. I have a very low tolerance for noise,
so we don't go there often, but we like it. For better steaks, try
JB's steakhouse, on Huffmeister east of 290. Don't let them put you
in the back room, though - for some reason no one understands, in the
front room the service is great, in the back room it sucks.

> * Applebee's on 290/Hwy6 - really, really bad food, bad service

That's odd. We like their food too - way better then the Chili's next
door. Not anything to write home about, but they're the best food open
late around.

Other good places in the area: The new Vietnamese place next to Chili's,
in the strip center. The South American place at Perry and 1960.
Venito (Italian) on Hwy 6. Carl's BBQ, of course, up on 290 before
elge (stop and watch the airplanes!). Napoli's, at Grant and Perry.

Tina Marie
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way

Al

Apr 21, 2005, 8:50:26 AM4/21/05
Had seen it from I10 a 1000 times , but had never been in
Las Alamedas till a few weeks ago. Welp, what a strange place , it has
a beautiful decore ,nice setting.
We were agast that the wine list was awful!
We ordered two different fish dishes off the menu, it was lukewarm and
over cooked when it came out, the service was only so so.
I guess you are supposed to order Mexican Food if you go there, but
after being a Texan for 64 years , I think I have crossed some
threshold on Tex Mex, it has to be something really reallly different.
Anyway Las Alamaedas, me and my girlfriend were bumfuzzled, great
looking place , but pedstrian food, we aint going back there.

vonroach

Apr 21, 2005, 4:50:24 PM4/21/05

You're basic error - It is a Spanish restaurant (like in Spain). No
relative of Tex-Mex or Mexican. People of the opposite sex often meet
there for a tete-a-tete. Cuisine has been reported as very good.
Perhaps you caught a bad day.

Anthony Fremont

Apr 21, 2005, 5:01:28 PM4/21/05

Fremont wrote:
> > * Texas Roadhouse 290/Hwy6 - WORST STEAK OF MY LIFE (believe it)
>
> We eat there every once in a while. I have a very low tolerance for
noise,
> so we don't go there often, but we like it. For better steaks, try
> JB's steakhouse, on Huffmeister east of 290. Don't let them put you

I've seen this place, but we've never been. I will give it a try.

> in the back room, though - for some reason no one understands, in the
> front room the service is great, in the back room it sucks.

I'll keep that in mind.

I probably shouldn't have gotten the steak and ribs combo thingy to
judge them by, but it really was bad. Quite honestly it was the
toughest steak I've ever eaten. If the ribs would have been hot, they
would have been good.

> > * Applebee's on 290/Hwy6 - really, really bad food, bad service
>
> That's odd. We like their food too - way better then the Chili's next
> door. Not anything to write home about, but they're the best food
open
> late around.

We went there when they first opened so that may have been the problem.
When we first arived all the employees were screwing around. A little
later we saw the person that was obviously the manager and then everyone
was suddenly working their tails off. We will try it again and see if
it's improved any.

> Other good places in the area: The new Vietnamese place next to
Chili's,

Never had vietnamese so I wouldn't know what to order. Do they have a
buffet?

> in the strip center. The South American place at Perry and 1960.

Have you been to the Red Onion on 290? We also like the Taste of
Portugal on Jones Road. The piri-piri chicken is great.

> Venito (Italian) on Hwy 6. Carl's BBQ, of course, up on 290 before

We've usually go to Luigi's for Italian.

> elge (stop and watch the airplanes!). Napoli's, at Grant and Perry.

Is Napoli's Italian?

Sa...@paleblue.com

Apr 21, 2005, 6:03:18 PM4/21/05

"vonroach" <hadr...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On 21 Apr 2005 05:50:26 -0700, "Al" <aa...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> >Had seen it from I10 a 1000 times , but had never been in
> >Las Alamedas till a few weeks ago. Welp, what a strange place , it has
> >a beautiful decore ,nice setting.
> >We were agast that the wine list was awful!
> >We ordered two different fish dishes off the menu, it was lukewarm and
> >over cooked when it came out, the service was only so so.
> >I guess you are supposed to order Mexican Food if you go there, but
> >after being a Texan for 64 years , I think I have crossed some
> >threshold on Tex Mex, it has to be something really reallly different.
> >Anyway Las Alamaedas, me and my girlfriend were bumfuzzled, great
> >looking place , but pedstrian food, we aint going back there.
>
> You're basic error - It is a Spanish restaurant (like in Spain). No
> relative of Tex-Mex or Mexican.

Uh... no it's not. It's a Mexican Restaurant, (not Tex-Mex, though), and it
has seen better days.

\\m//

Tina Marie

Apr 21, 2005, 6:12:29 PM4/21/05
In article <IwU9e.17571$AE6....@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Anthony Fremont wrote:
> I've seen this place, but we've never been. I will give it a try.

El Charro, more-or-less next door to JBs, has perfectly okay Mexican
food - but cheap, killer margaritas.

> We went there when they first opened so that may have been the problem.
> When we first arived all the employees were screwing around. A little
> later we saw the person that was obviously the manager and then everyone
> was suddenly working their tails off. We will try it again and see if
> it's improved any.

Yeah, it took them a while to get it together. I was so thankful
to have someplace open late besides Chili's and IHOP!

> Never had vietnamese so I wouldn't know what to order. Do they have a
> buffet?

No. And it's more authentic Vietnamese then most places. I usually
order seafood with thick noodles, but I couldn't tell you what it's
called.

> Have you been to the Red Onion on 290? We also like the Taste of
> Portugal on Jones Road. The piri-piri chicken is great.

Been to Red Onion and wasn't impressed. Too creative for my
taste. We really like Taste Of Portugal, too.

>> Venito (Italian) on Hwy 6. Carl's BBQ, of course, up on 290 before
>
> We've usually go to Luigi's for Italian.

Venito is the best Italian I've ever had. Well, except for some
fantastic pesto gnocchi (anybody got a good gnochhi recipe?) in
a little place in the non-tourist area of Niagra Falls(!).

> Is Napoli's Italian?

Yes. Venito is fancy Italian - lots of veal, fancy sauces. Napoli's
is great, homestyle Italian. Incredible calzones, good pizza, good
maranara sauce, good alfredo sauces - it's more about simple foods
done well.

While you're over at Napoli's, stop at Connie's for frozen custard.

Oh, yeah, the other place we eat a lot is the new Mexican place
behind Applebees. I like their "baked" avacado (which I suspect
is really fried) and soup combo.

Al

Apr 21, 2005, 7:49:24 PM4/21/05
Yes I should correct my error, tho from the menu, I question just how
'Spanish' the food fare is there.
Never had chips and salsa at a 'Spanish' restaurant here in Houston.
Maybe seafood is not their thing, needless to say we were so
underwhelmed we don't plan to go back.

George Kerby

Apr 22, 2005, 9:31:50 AM4/22/05

On 4/21/05 5:03 PM, in article
GqV9e.1003$%L1....@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com, "Sa...@PaleBlue.com"
<Sa...@PaleBlue.com> wrote:

Correctomendo! Professor Pontificator is wrong again.
Google is our friend:
http://www.lasalamedas.com/

Jeremy

Apr 22, 2005, 9:48:15 AM4/22/05

Anthony Fremont wrote:

> In descending order of patheticness:

Some huge chinese buffet place on Holcombe. I was taken there by
somebody who thought he really knew how to eat, but it must have meant
quantity not quality, Everything was cold, tasteless and soggy and I
blotted the memory out quite quickly.

Pappas BBQ on Pierce. What a sorry excuse for ribs and sauce, as though
they had read about them but had no sense of smell, texture or taste and
had to guess at the outcome. Boiled ribs with a thin, overly sweet red
slurry masquerading as a sauce. Never again.

Cavatore. Sorry guys, I tried again and it failed. Cold congealed pasta
in the center of the mass on the plate, too much salt, overcooked
shrimp, paper thin veal with too much salt and again, only the stuffed
mushrooms were microwaved to a sufficient temperature. I did not eat the
salad, too much browned off lettuce in evidence and one taste of the
dressing revealed... too much salt. I left with a burning thirst and
hungry enough to come home and cook a little something to take the taste
out of my mouth.

JJ

Julia Dream

Apr 22, 2005, 12:18:12 PM4/22/05

"Jeremy" <jer...@dcnet2000.com> wrote in message

They must see you coming; I don't think they like you very much, Jeremy!
;-)

Becky

Jeremy

Apr 22, 2005, 12:37:08 PM4/22/05

Julia Dream wrote:

> They must see you coming; I don't think they like you very much, Jeremy!
> ;-)
>
> Becky

Either that or there is an alternative universe in which a decent meal
exists inside Cavatore and every time I cross the threshold I miss the
portal :-)

After six tries, I can no longer justify the expense of trying to get a
decent meal when there are so many other places waiting.

JJ

Albert Nurick

Apr 22, 2005, 2:02:03 PM4/22/05
"Al" <aa...@flash.net> wrote in news:1114121255.969911.240810
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

IMO, it's one of those places loved by folks who don't know good food from
mediocre food.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
alb...@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management

lilacjennifer

Apr 25, 2005, 12:11:41 AM4/25/05
There must have been a change at Las Alamedas since I last went there around
1983. Back then it was Mexican. I know that because I remember having
enchiladas and a margarita, which are not considered Spanish at all, but
Mexican, yes. There was nothing Spanish on the menu and I do know the
difference.
Seems they would have changed the name along with the cuisine.

Jennifer

Gary Lanier

Apr 25, 2005, 3:11:19 PM4/25/05
Sa...@PaleBlue.com wrote:

>"vonroach" <hadr...@earthlink.net> wrote
>

>>On 21 Apr 2005 05:50:26 -0700, "Al" <aa...@flash.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Had seen it from I10 a 1000 times , but had never been in
>>>Las Alamedas till a few weeks ago.

>>>I guess you are supposed to order Mexican Food if you go there, but
>>>after being a Texan for 64 years , I think I have crossed some
>>>threshold on Tex Mex, it has to be something really reallly different.
>>>Anyway Las Alamaedas, me and my girlfriend were bumfuzzled, great
>>>looking place , but pedstrian food, we aint going back there.
>>>

>>You're basic error - It is a Spanish restaurant (like in Spain). No
>>relative of Tex-Mex or Mexican.
>>

>>Uh... no it's not. It's a Mexican Restaurant, (not Tex-Mex, though), and it
>>has seen better days.

Definitely Mexican, though it seems to be more "colonial"/Spanish
influenced (used to be, and that's what's slid -- it's becoming more of
a pedestrian Mexican fare place without the lower prices). A lot of
Mexican wedding and (gawd, I always hate spelling this word) quincineria
(whatever, "Mexican debutante/coming out" when girls reach the age of 15
(the word is from Spanish for "fifteenth")) parties there too -- at
least there were when I lived in the general area (up until three years
ago).

Want good Mexican seafood? Find yourself a ostionera (seafood joint).
Siete Mares (Seven Seas) has always been good to me -- and they have the
whole fish presentation with the head on and eyes staring at your dining
partner(s) across the table.

Guess Las Alamedas has gone downhill because they don't serve slaw, huh? =0P

--
If you don't want to be judged, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Gary Lanier

Apr 25, 2005, 3:18:18 PM4/25/05
wrote:

>There must have been a change at Las Alamedas since I last went there around
>1983. Back then it was Mexican. I know that because I remember having
>enchiladas and a margarita, which are not considered Spanish at all, but
>Mexican, yes. There was nothing Spanish on the menu and I do know the
>difference.
>Seems they would have changed the name along with the cuisine.

Nothing Spanish, eh? Try the paella for starters, almost a national dish
in Spain (not nearly as popular in Mexico, but often found in ostioneras).

--
I'm schizophrenic and so am I

Julia Dream

Apr 25, 2005, 11:17:54 PM4/25/05

"Gary Lanier" <gre...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Where is Siete Mares?

Becky

Dave Garrett

Apr 26, 2005, 1:19:16 PM4/26/05
In article <116rcnv...@corp.supernews.com>, pink...@ev1.net
says...

> Where is Siete Mares?

I think there's more than one location - there's definitely one on the
east side of Irvington a few blocks south of Cavalcade (look for the
neon sign that says "7 MARES"), but the first online phonebook I pulled
up only had a listing for a location on Fulton considerably farther
away.

Dave

bruceaaron

Apr 26, 2005, 2:02:14 PM4/26/05

I went to one on Bingle at Longpoint a couple of years ago.
Snapper a la plancha (or maybe it was tilapia or something
else) a little overdone, but better food than Arandas
Ostioneria. I remembered seeing one on Spencer Hwy a couple
of years before that, probably East of Hwy 3.

Matt Russell

Apr 27, 2005, 8:23:29 AM4/27/05

I've been to the one on Bingle just south of Long Point. Ostioneria
Siete Mares. Had the ceviche and the catfish Florentine. It wasn't
bad, but not good enough to make a return trip, though. Friendly
service, but you need to be prepared to habla espanol.

Gary Lanier

Apr 28, 2005, 11:36:42 AM4/28/05
Matt Russell wrote:

>Bruce Aaron wrote:
>
>>>pink...@ev1.net says...

>>>I think there's more than one location - there's
>>>definitely one on the east side of Irvington a few blocks
>>>south of Cavalcade (look for the neon sign that says "7
>>>MARES"), but the first online phonebook I pulled up only
>>>had a listing for a location on Fulton considerably
>>>farther away.
>>>

>>I went to one on Bingle at Longpoint a couple of years ago.
>>Snapper a la plancha (or maybe it was tilapia or something
>>else) a little overdone, but better food than Arandas
>>Ostioneria. I remembered seeing one on Spencer Hwy a couple
>>of years before that, probably East of Hwy 3.
>>

>I've been to the one on Bingle just south of Long Point. Ostioneria
>Siete Mares. Had the ceviche and the catfish Florentine. It wasn't
>bad, but not good enough to make a return trip, though. Friendly
>service, but you need to be prepared to habla espanol.

For the ostioneria near you, look them up in the white pages (16
names/locations listed) under "ostioneria" (the type of place comes
first, the name afterwards in proper Spanish). Or, the yellow pages
under restaurants, Mexican/seafood.

For Ostioneria Siete Mares (7 Mares):

10010 Fulton (77076) -- 713-699-2720
4602 Irvington (77009) -- 713-692-7776
911 Spencer Hwy (77587) -- 713-947-6387
826 Zoe (77020) -- 713-673-3332
1724 Wirt (77055) -- 713-956-1220

I've eaten at both the Spencer Hwy (an Hispanic friend of mine
introduced me to ostionerias there) and Zoe (just off the I-10 eastbound
feeder road between Kress and Lathrop) locations.

Wonder if the location(s) and/or the fact that I do habla la lengua (and
murder it with mixed/muddy dialects) make a difference?

--
Effective gun control; use two hands.