Wimberly Dining

James M

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
I am taking my wife for a weekend in Wimberly for her 30-something birthday.  I owe her the world.  Therefore, I want to know if anybody has any romantic dining suggestions in Wimberly?  We are pretty traditional when it come to taste, nothing fancy, but want something better than "NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO SERVICE".  I am hopeing someone from the Houston area has some good suggestions.  I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
James

Jeremy Goodwin

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Which Wimberly, the one I know is in England? lol

David R. Throop

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
James,

You may get a better response from the austin.food newsgroup - Austin
is closer than Houston. I've spent some time in Wimberly and know
that there are some good places there. But I'd suggest you cast your
net a little wider. San Marcos is just down the road a piece, and has
some good places too.

Also, if you are driving up to Wimberly via I-10, then thru Luling to
San Marcos to Wimberly (the way I usually go) consider the following:

1) Take US-90 Alternate instead of I-10. Go through Hallotsville and
Shiner. Much better scenery. Also there is a great little German
restaurant just across the street from the Shiner brewery -
wonderful pastry.
2) Stop at the Luling City Market for barbecue.
3) Stop in Prarie Lea at the bakery (there's only one; Prarie Lea is
hardly bigger than a postage stamp) and get some Kolaches and pecan
squares.
4) Slow down in Martindale -it is a notorious speed trap.

David "Travelin Man" Throop

In article <7qhl52$i8h$1...@tilde.csc.ti.com>,
James M <mont...@hfab1.sc.ti.com> wrote:

>I am taking my wife for a weekend in Wimberly for her 30-something
>birthday. I owe her the world. Therefore, I want to know if anybody
>has any romantic dining suggestions in Wimberly?

Professor Vonroach

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
On 1 Sep 1999 09:16:02 -0500, thr...@cs.utexas.edu (David R. Throop)
wrote:

>James,
>
>You may get a better response from the austin.food newsgroup - Austin
>is closer than Houston. I've spent some time in Wimberly and know
>that there are some good places there. But I'd suggest you cast your
>net a little wider. San Marcos is just down the road a piece, and has
>some good places too.
>
>Also, if you are driving up to Wimberly via I-10, then thru Luling to
>San Marcos to Wimberly (the way I usually go) consider the following:
>
>1) Take US-90 Alternate instead of I-10. Go through Hallotsville and
> Shiner. Much better scenery. Also there is a great little German
> restaurant just across the street from the Shiner brewery -
> wonderful pastry.
>2) Stop at the Luling City Market for barbecue.
>3) Stop in Prarie Lea at the bakery (there's only one; Prarie Lea is
> hardly bigger than a postage stamp) and get some Kolaches and pecan
> squares.
>4) Slow down in Martindale -it is a notorious speed trap.
>
>David "Travelin Man" Throop

And remember James, Luling is called the toughest town in Texas. There
are a couple of places in San Marcos that cater to the college crowd,
my eats experience there has been borderline. In Wimberly, where the
road does it's dangerous `S' in the arts and craft area there a two
pretty good places sorta facing each other across the parking area,
like an old western gun fight. I'd rate them as better than average.
- Hopalong Vonroach

John Waddell

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

> 2) Stop at the Luling City Market for barbecue.

You don't have to go all the way to Luling for this place. There is a
location on Richmond just inside 610.

Professor Vonroach

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 07:29:16 -0500, John Waddell <jwad...@wt.net>
wrote:

>> 2) Stop at the Luling City Market for barbecue.
>
>You don't have to go all the way to Luling for this place. There is a
>location on Richmond just inside 610.

But the message said `the' Luling City Market, not a Luling City
Market. Sorry, for the former a journey to Luling is mandatory.. On
the way you might want to try Frank's highway restaurant in
Schulenburg on I 10. A great roadside cafe. I give 'em four spoons.

Chris Marksberry

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

Professor Vonroach wrote in message

On
>the way you might want to try Frank's highway restaurant in
>Schulenburg on I 10. A great roadside cafe. I give 'em four spoons.

Definite four spoons. We almost always stop at Frank's on the way to SA or
Moulton (suburb of Shiner where my step-daughter lives).

If it's not a Sunday when we are returning to Houston (which it usually is)
we stop at City Market in Schulenburg for sausage to bring home.

Chris
MailTo:cmark...@hickham.com