Robb Walsh: 18 Hamburgers You Need to Try Right Now

Albert Nurick

Aug 25, 2005, 12:23:55 PM8/25/05
Here's his list, from the Press. Thoughts?

http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2005-08-25/news/sidebar.html

Many of his suggestions were obscure; and I plan to check 'em out when
I can. But some made me scratch my head.

Pappas Burger? Prince's? Neither is memorable at all.

He did have one choice I wholeheartedly agree with, and rarely see on
any "best burgers" list: Farrago's. It's been way too long since I've
been there.

MIA: Bellaire Broiler Burger, Someburger, Roznovski's, no doubt others.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
alb...@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management

Jack Tyler

Aug 25, 2005, 12:31:23 PM8/25/05
If there is a problem with Pappas Burgers, it is that the meat is far
too good for a good burger. The burgers are made from ground "scraps"
from the Pappas Steakhouse next door. As they don't serve chuck there,
the meat that is ground is pretty lean. Good for you... but, not
enough fat to give it that great ground chuck flavor and texture.
Prince's? Well, I've eaten them since the 50's and kinda like 'em.

Jack

Albert Nurick

Aug 25, 2005, 12:45:12 PM8/25/05
Jack Tyler wrote:

Makes sense; when I tried Pappas Burger I thought the burger was dry
and somewhat flavorless. Good fries, IIRC.

Prince's isn't bad, just nothing special for me. I'd have given
Someburger their spot on the list.

And it was weird that a restaurant in Huntsville was on Robb's Houston
list. If he's heading out of town, 2-M's in Rosenberg is closer, and
should have been included.

Jack Sloan

Aug 25, 2005, 4:43:38 PM8/25/05

"Albert Nurick" <alb...@nurick.com> wrote in message

> Here's his list, from the Press. Thoughts?
>
> http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2005-08-25/news/sidebar.html
>
> Many of his suggestions were obscure; and I plan to check 'em out when
> I can. But some made me scratch my head.
>
> Pappas Burger? Prince's? Neither is memorable at all.
>
> He did have one choice I wholeheartedly agree with, and rarely see on
> any "best burgers" list: Farrago's. It's been way too long since I've
> been there.
>
> MIA: Bellaire Broiler Burger, Someburger, Roznovski's, no doubt others.
>
> --
> Albert Nurick

I will never understand why Tookies hold such sway among food reviewers. It
is just average at best. Now, the jumbo at New Orleans Po boy is a
HAMBURGER.
Jack

Al

Aug 25, 2005, 4:55:27 PM8/25/05
One time I had a burger at Tookies right after they had made a heavy
bug treatment for roaches, had to choke it down....
boy enough to gag the gut wagon dog.

Al

Aug 25, 2005, 5:02:18 PM8/25/05
I thought it was an amusing article... one thing... is it really a
Texas thing to put both mayonnaise and mustard on a hamburger? As a
fourth generation Texan all the burgers I grew up with mostly had just
mustard on them, tho now and then there were mayonnaise ones.
Don't I remember mayonnaise burgers being called 'sissy-burgers'?

Al

Aug 25, 2005, 5:07:14 PM8/25/05
Anybody remember 'Burger Chef' did they not have a make-your-own such
as Fuddruckers has now?
I like that part of the deal at Fuddruckers, because I can pile on as
many jalapenos and onions as I can stand.

And the guy was right, I never saw a Texan put catchup on a burger, ...
or for that matter when I was growing up in Dallas, no catchup on
fries.... and decidedly not on eggs, that was a yankee thing!

Jack Tyler

Aug 25, 2005, 5:25:22 PM8/25/05
I grew up in Texas and always thought that a "regular" hamburger had
lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, mayonaise and mustard. Never had one
any other way. All of the restaurants I ever went to served them that
way, unless you said... "hold the mayo".

And, I CERTAINLY never saw ketchup on a hamburger until I moved to Ohio
with my parents... then, also, we had to pay extra to get tomatoes on a
hamburger (of course, they didn't charge extra to put beans or
chocolate in chili).

Jack

George Kerby

Aug 25, 2005, 5:53:15 PM8/25/05

On 8/25/05 4:02 PM, in article
1125003596.0...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "Al"
<aa...@flash.net> wrote:

I don't know where you grew up but I never heard that term.

Mayo on a gourmet burger belongs on the veggie side bun, acting much like a
dressing. The other bun next to the Meat, is spread with mustard that oozes
with the burger grease and blood. Sissy? - Methinks NOT!

Now mayo on a hotdog? No WAY Jose....

Buhda

Aug 25, 2005, 5:53:19 PM8/25/05
There are normal burgers on the menu, and then there's the "Mel's burger," a
pound of ground meat with bacon and three slices of American cheese. The
pound comprises three individual patties, and they're available cooked
medium well -- don't ask for medium, because they won't do it. If you're
really hungry, try a "mega Mel." It's a pound and a half of meat, a pound of
bacon and a quarter-pound of cheese. Eat it in under two hours and get your
name on the Wall of Fame. Nine minutes is the current record

Al

Aug 25, 2005, 7:38:21 PM8/25/05
Not my experience, maybe a Dallas thing. I am sure I never went to a
dairy queen and had a burger with mayo on it.
I know for home made burgers, mayo was kept in the fridge. Always
mustard all the way.
I can't say all burgers only had mustard, but it was my experience that
most of the places we frequented. were mustard only.

George Kerby

Aug 25, 2005, 8:27:15 PM8/25/05

On 8/25/05 6:38 PM, in article
1125013101....@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Al" <aa...@flash.net>
wrote:

I asume that you are responding to my post. Most here seem to lack the
ability to quote whom they are answering.

Dallas does things different than most places...

Maybe, perhaps - the early Dairy Queens (before AC was installed-I know-in
Sealy TX there was one I walked up to as a young boy in the early 60s-it was
BASIC), mayo wasn't there because it would go rancid under such conditions?

Our home burgers ALL had the mayo option. So did the neighbors.

EVERY drugstore soda-fountian grill where I grew up had mayonnaise.

And I know burgers...

Scott Zrubek

Aug 25, 2005, 9:12:29 PM8/25/05
In article <_3qPe.27766$xp.7111@trnddc02>,
"Jack Sloan" <jqs...@verizon.net> wrote:

I'll go to Tookies for a burger any day. Give me a Piggyback, please!

Julia Dream

Aug 25, 2005, 10:15:11 PM8/25/05

"Buhda" <akh...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

> There are normal burgers on the menu, and then there's the "Mel's burger,"
> pound of ground meat with bacon and three slices of American cheese. The
> pound comprises three individual patties, and they're available cooked
> medium well -- don't ask for medium, because they won't do it. If you're
> really hungry, try a "mega Mel." It's a pound and a half of meat, a pound
of
> bacon and a quarter-pound of cheese. Eat it in under two hours and get
your
> name on the Wall of Fame. Nine minutes is the current record

Though I've not had it, Sam's Deli Diner off I-10 (and I don't know where
exactly) has a burger which is, I think, 1-lb. beef burger, bacon, cheese,
fried egg, sausage patty, and bacon (might even have the lettuce, tomato,
onion, and pickles as well). Joey Berner told me about that monstrousity!
Don't think I'll be trying that one anytime soon. :-)

Becky

Julia Dream

Aug 25, 2005, 10:17:50 PM8/25/05

"Al" <aa...@flash.net> wrote in message

> Anybody remember 'Burger Chef' did they not have a make-your-own such
> as Fuddruckers has now?
> I like that part of the deal at Fuddruckers, because I can pile on as
> many jalapenos and onions as I can stand.

I used to love the Burger Chef across the street from Hancock Center in
Austin back in the early '80s. Don't recall a hamburger fixins bar, but
they did have a really nice salad bar for the non-meat-eating UT students.

Becky

guess

Aug 25, 2005, 10:20:38 PM8/25/05
No wonder Houston is the fattest city in America. How sad ;-(

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:53:19 GMT, "Buhda" <akh...@houston.rr.com>

Aje RavenStar

Aug 25, 2005, 11:09:02 PM8/25/05

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 8/25/05 6:38 PM, in article
> 1125013101....@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Al"
> <aa...@flash.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Not my experience, maybe a Dallas thing. I am sure I never went to a
>> dairy queen and had a burger with mayo on it.
>> I know for home made burgers, mayo was kept in the fridge. Always
>> mustard all the way.
>> I can't say all burgers only had mustard, but it was my experience that
>> most of the places we frequented. were mustard only.
>>
> I asume that you are responding to my post. Most here seem to lack the
> ability to quote whom they are answering.
>
> Dallas does things different than most places...
>
> Maybe, perhaps - the early Dairy Queens (before AC was installed-I know-in
> Sealy TX there was one I walked up to as a young boy in the early 60s-it
> was
> BASIC), mayo wasn't there because it would go rancid under such
> conditions?
>
> Our home burgers ALL had the mayo option. So did the neighbors.
>
> EVERY drugstore soda-fountian grill where I grew up had mayonnaise.
>
> And I know burgers...

My grandma (from the Heights) always had mustard and ketchup on the bottom
bun, mayo on the top - along with a thick slice of G'pa's favorite, colby,
and an egg fried a shade below hard in the burger grease (an assembly I
still do every so often, with a few healthier preperation methods - to me,
that's comfort food).

The Chief Instigator

Aug 26, 2005, 3:47:03 AM8/26/05
"Al" <aa...@flash.net> writes:

>Anybody remember 'Burger Chef' did they not have a make-your-own such
>as Fuddruckers has now?

I remember a Burger Chef or two - one on Chimney Rock just north of Bellaire,
and one just east of South Voss/Hillcroft on the outbound side of Westheimer -
and they didn't have that feature. (Of course, a regular Chef for 12¢ wasn't
all that bad to this eleven-year-old.)

>I like that part of the deal at Fuddruckers, because I can pile on as
>many jalapenos and onions as I can stand.

>And the guy was right, I never saw a Texan put catchup on a burger, ...
>or for that matter when I was growing up in Dallas, no catchup on
>fries.... and decidedly not on eggs, that was a yankee thing!

No catsup on fries? Blame my formative years in Oklahoma for not observing
that rule...;-)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)

Al

Aug 26, 2005, 6:47:38 AM8/26/05
I can remember in North Texas a chain called Golff's , they had a 15
cent burger, it was pretty minimum, a thin patty , a little onion, and
a kind of BBQ sauce, ..., not much of burger ... but on a student's
budget could fill up on 30 cents!

Those were at least bigger than the White Castle ones I have had up
East, ..., tho I kind of like those......

Matt Russell

Aug 26, 2005, 8:29:55 AM8/26/05
In article <szkk6i9...@eris.io.com>,

The Chief Instigator <pat...@io.com> wrote:

> "Al" <aa...@flash.net> writes:
>
> >Anybody remember 'Burger Chef' did they not have a make-your-own such
> >as Fuddruckers has now?
>
> I remember a Burger Chef or two - one on Chimney Rock just north of Bellaire,
> and one just east of South Voss/Hillcroft on the outbound side of Westheimer -
> and they didn't have that feature. (Of course, a regular Chef for 12¢ wasn't
> all that bad to this eleven-year-old.)

There was a Burger Chef on the seawall blvd. in Galveston, IIRC. Seems
that it hung on to the bitter end after the chain folded, as it stayed
open for quite a while after all the others shuttered.

Frank Mancuso

Aug 26, 2005, 10:27:18 AM8/26/05
And we always had potato chips with burgers. I don't remember fries too
much until all the fast food joints opened.

Frank Mancuso

Aug 26, 2005, 10:29:39 AM8/26/05
guess wrote:
> No wonder Houston is the fattest city in America. How sad ;-(

What makes it sad? The fact that Houston has some of the best
restaurants in the country, including burgers? What makes people fat is
the amount people eat, and the lack of excercise they get.

jennie

Aug 26, 2005, 12:05:19 PM8/26/05

"Jack Sloan" <jqs...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:_3qPe.27766

> I will never understand why Tookies hold such sway among food reviewers.
> It
> is just average at best. Now, the jumbo at New Orleans Po boy is a
> HAMBURGER.

We ate there a lot in the early 90s, and Tookies really did do a great
burger back then. Loved the Squealer and the 99. It's certainly gone
downhill in the past 5 years or so, and I believe our last visit about 2
years ago is going to be our LAST visit. Sad. It's the only place I ever
order root beer. And I thought their onion rings were excellent.

As to burgers in other parts of the country, I had my first out-of-state
burger at Chock Full o' Nuts in NYC in 1975, and when I told them I wanted a
plain cheeseburger with no mustard or ketchup, they looked at me as if I had
told them to hold the strawberry jam and hot fudge. Best burger I ever had,
but it it's also a memory of that whole day, that whole trip, that whole
summer, garbage strike and all. :-)

Gustave F kilthau

Aug 26, 2005, 3:15:27 PM8/26/05

"Al" wrote in message

Howdy Al, Howdy Friends...
Last time I had a "White Castle" it cost 37 cents. Got it in Bowling Green,
Kentucky in the middle 90's. Watched them being grilled with all of the
grease bubbling up through that hole in the middle and soaking into the
little buns sitting on top of the meat as it cooked. We had a name for
those burgers... "sliders."
Great tasting and plenty of burps to keep you awake thereafter.

Nice to remember those, for the ones you get in the frozen food section
today are low in taste and nothing like the ones off of those grills.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau, Redneck's Kitchen, Houston, Texas

The Chief Instigator

Aug 26, 2005, 3:58:21 PM8/26/05
Matt Russell <pir...@airmail.net> writes:

>> "Al" <aa...@flash.net> writes:

The one on Westheimer was one of the last ones to go, but fortunately, the A&W
on the other side of the road down near Augusta lasted two or three years
longer...

Julia Dream

Aug 26, 2005, 6:43:52 PM8/26/05

"Frank Mancuso" <fr...@RMVsaintarnold.com> wrote in message

Amen to that! It's all about moderation.

Becky

guess

Aug 26, 2005, 8:26:04 PM8/26/05
I guess you did not read the menu: a pound of beef with cheese and
bacon. This burger could feed a village in Bangladesh.

WT Stull

Aug 27, 2005, 1:09:37 AM8/27/05
Anyone eat brown gravy on their F Fries? Or is it just me!

Delicous but... your blood pressure could get to 440 over 250.
They'll patch you together with Kevlar (tm) stents and carbon fibre/epoxy
sealant.
Works for my cardiologist...Dr Kerv....

Hell, if you can fry it I will eat it.

Chicken Fried Spam - yum but only the kind with a tempura batter fried very
crunchy.

Regards,

WT Stull

"You can tell the pioneers in any field. They are the ones with the arrows
sticking out of their chests." - WTS

"The Chief Instigator" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

The Chief Instigator

Aug 27, 2005, 1:13:11 AM8/27/05
"WT Stull" <bst...@galvestonbay.net> writes:

>Anyone eat brown gravy on their F Fries? Or is it just me!

You've never been to Québec, the home of poutine. ;-)

>Delicous but... your blood pressure could get to 440 over 250. They'll patch
>you together with Kevlar (tm) stents and carbon fibre/epoxy sealant. Works
>for my cardiologist...Dr Kerv....

>Hell, if you can fry it I will eat it.

>Chicken Fried Spam - yum but only the kind with a tempura batter fried very
>crunchy.

I thought chicken fried spam was originated from Southern ISPs...;-)

Jack Tyler

Aug 27, 2005, 10:01:34 AM8/27/05
>Anyone eat brown gravy on their F Fries? Or is it just me!

>WT Stull

I sure as Hell do.

Jack

Frank F. Matthews

Aug 27, 2005, 1:14:24 PM8/27/05
If you put cheese curds on it you would be Canadian.

WT Stull wrote:
> Anyone eat brown gravy on their F Fries? Or is it just me!
>
> Delicous but... your blood pressure could get to 440 over 250.
> They'll patch you together with Kevlar (tm) stents and carbon fibre/epoxy
> sealant.
> Works for my cardiologist...Dr Kerv....
>
> Hell, if you can fry it I will eat it.
>
> Chicken Fried Spam - yum but only the kind with a tempura batter fried very
> crunchy.
>
> Regards,
>
> WT Stull
>
> "You can tell the pioneers in any field. They are the ones with the arrows
> sticking out of their chests." - WTS

snip

Becca

Aug 28, 2005, 12:01:59 PM8/28/05
Frank F. Matthews wrote:

> If you put cheese curds on it you would be Canadian.

My mother's family moved here from Quebec, where they have poutine at
McDonald's and Burger King. Fresh cheese curds are hard to find around
here.

Becca

Frank F. Matthews

Aug 28, 2005, 2:38:11 PM8/28/05

I suppose that you could get some of the soft white Mexican cheese and
break it up. It is basically pressed curds with no aging.

The Chief Instigator

Aug 28, 2005, 4:23:44 PM8/28/05
Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> writes:

>Frank F. Matthews wrote:

True, and I got my first experience with poutine at a bowling alley in
Ste-Agathe-des-Monts, back when I was a youngster of 42 (which was eight years
ago). When the low-fat version makes it here, I'll be a regular. ;-)

Jeremy

Sep 1, 2005, 9:48:02 PM9/1/05

Albert Noir wrote:

> Here's his list, from the Press. Thoughts?

He needs to get out more? He missed so many places that blow away those
on the lists, but since when have those lists done anything but get
people talking?

An honorable mention for Chili's? One wonders which one as they vary so
much :-)

JJ