Huge くずし字 database

Wolfgang Hadamitzky

Jan 13, 2021, 2:36:18 PM1/13/21
to Honyaku
Dear members of the Honyaku List,

Please find enclosed today's announcement of a huge くずし字 database.

For more details see:
このデータベースのURL:https://mojiportal.nabunken.go.jp/
このデータベースの名前:史的文字データベース連携検索システム
このデータベースは何か:https://mojiportal.nabunken.go.jp//?c=about
このデータベースの使い方:https://mojiportal.nabunken.go.jp//?c=how_to_use

Best regards
Wolfgang Hadamitzky

210113 - 日経 = 東大など、東アジア最大の漢字字形データベース公開.pdf

Alejandro Mora Alba

Jan 15, 2021, 1:05:34 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Omg thank you!!!! How exciting!

Warren Smith

Jan 15, 2021, 2:59:45 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Wow. This is amazing! I can't even imagine what it must have taken to put this together.

Warren Smith

PS: Thank you, Wolfgang, for the impact you have had on my life. As a student back in the early 1980s, the book by you and Mark Spahn provided some of the first exposure I had to Japanese writing -- causing me to spend untold thousands of hours staring at Japanese characters for my career over the next nearly 40 years!

John Stroman

Jan 15, 2021, 6:38:13 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for posting this.

And many thanks to you and Mark for the wonderful dictionary. My two rooms lined with bookshelves have now dwindled to two bookcases in an alcove, but your dictionary still remains right at the top on the left edge where I can always reach it, and I use it at least twice a week.

I wonder if it will be useful for deciphering a physician's handwritten notes on a medical chart. Mmmm.

John Stroman

Nora Stevens Heath

Jan 15, 2021, 8:50:04 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Databases like these can be helpful, to be sure, but I can't be the only
one who thinks they're (by necessity) built the wrong way around.
Wouldn't it be infinitely better to be able to input a scribble and get
back the properly rendered standard character--or at least a small
collection of likely candidates? If I can't read the kuzushiji and am
looking for the standard equivalent, how can I enter that unknown
standard into the search box?

I suppose it's best for confirming one's suspicions, informed by context,
about what specific character one *might* be looking at.

Nora

--
Nora Stevens Heath <no...@fumizuki.com>
J-E translations: http://www.fumizuki.com/

Warren Smith

Jan 15, 2021, 9:42:41 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I agree with you 100%, Nora, that going the other direction is more useful.

I assume that this database will be available for training of artificial
intelligence algorithms to identify these kuzushiji.

(Come to think of it - I have been meaning to take an online course and
learn to write AI programs (just to get a better understanding of the
techniques), and this seems like the perfect project for doing so! This
sounds like a lot of fun, and I am now quite excited about the idea. Thank
you, Nora, for setting me on this project!)

Warren Smith
Jan 15, 2021, 11:22:11 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I’ve sometimes had success using Japanese or Chinese handwriting recognition for things like this.

Evan Emswiler

Hadamitzky Wolfgang

Jan 15, 2021, 11:46:45 AM1/15/21
to Honyaku

> Am 15.01.2021 um 14:50 schrieb Nora Stevens Heath <fumi...@gmail.com>:
>
> Databases like these can be helpful, to be sure, but I can't be the only
> one who thinks they're (by necessity) built the wrong way around.
Databases like this are definitely not built the wrong way around. They offer one of two (or more) possible solutions for deciphering kuzushiji. That is as if you said to a manufacturer of nails your products are built the wrong way around, I need a hammer. We need both!

> Wouldn't it be infinitely better
No, definitely not. Such databases can be used, among others, for training students in reading kuzushiji. In Germany some universities offer pertinent courses in deciphering kuzushiji, including the rules behind the formation of kuzushiji. Individuals who specialize in Japanese religion may from a database select kanji that often occur in the texts they are reading and study their kuzushiji. That is not possible with a program you propose. Again, we need both!

Wolfgang

> to be able to input a scribble and get
> back the properly rendered standard character--or at least a small
> collection of likely candidates?
> If I can't read the kuzushiji and am
> looking for the standard equivalent, how can I enter that unknown
> standard into the search box?
>
> I suppose it's best for confirming one's suspicions, informed by context,
> about what specific character one *might* be looking at.
>
> Nora
>
> --
> Nora Stevens Heath <no...@fumizuki.com>
> J-E translations: http://www.fumizuki.com/

Oroszlany Balazs

Jan 15, 2021, 11:49:18 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Warren,

" Come to think of it - I have been meaning to take an online course and
learn to write AI programs (just to get a better understanding of the
techniques), and this seems like the perfect project for doing so! This
sounds like a lot of fun, and I am now quite excited about the idea. "

Check out KuroNet:
Tarin Clanuwat  and her team building quite impressive tools.

https://tkasasagi.github.io/

Balazs

Warren Smith

Jan 15, 2021, 11:59:44 AM1/15/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Balazs. That page is very impressive! (It also has links to other kuzushiji data sets as well.)

Warren