Another contracted Japanese word

Minoru Mochizuki

Jul 12, 2011, 10:25:30 PM7/12/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com

As late as this morning, I learned an another “smart” contracted Japanese word.

Can you guess what スマホmeans?

(Don’t look at the answer below!)

It means “Smartphone,” such as iPhone.

I didn’t know that. How retarded I am!

Minoru Mochizuki

Gururaj Rao

Jul 12, 2011, 10:48:21 PM7/12/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Here are some I picked up recently interpreting on site for Japanese wastewater system engineers:

キャパビル
コスパ

(capacity building and cost performance)

And during the course of Master's swimming competitions in Japan:

いちこめ、にこめ
ノブレー

(100 m individual medley and 200 m individual medley)

(swim a lap without breathing (no breath))

Regards,

Brian Watson

Jul 12, 2011, 11:19:50 PM7/12/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com

2011/7/12 Gururaj Rao <guru...@jcom.home.ne.jp>

Here are some I picked up recently interpreting on site for Japanese wastewater system engineers:

キャパビル
コスパ

(capacity building and cost performance)

And during the course of Master's swimming competitions in Japan:

いちこめ、にこめ
ノブレー

(100 m individual medley and 200 m individual medley)

(swim a lap without breathing (no breath))

My all time favorite is

モッツレック

for Mozart's Requiem.

Brian Watson
http://www.google.com/profiles/brian.watson
+1.604.395.4202 (home office), +1.425.246.7888 (cell), +1.425.341.FOTO (messages), brian-momotaro (skype)

Alex Koolhof

Jul 13, 2011, 4:24:46 AM7/13/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Actually, my all time favourite Japanese contraction is the one for the Japanese fast food chain ファーストキッチン

Classic.

Shinya Suzuki

Jul 13, 2011, 5:01:50 AM7/13/11
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
How about this one.

「あざーっす」or 「あざっす」

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwXIprqQ8Y
(at 0.01)

You are a genius if you get its original (noncontracted) form upon
first encounter (visually or aurally).

Shinya Suzuki

Mark Spahn

Jul 13, 2011, 5:17:39 AM7/13/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Maybe everybody already knows this, but this is covered
in Lesson 3 of a series of instructional videos on
"How to speak fluent Japanese without (hardly) saying a word":
-- Mark Spahn  (West Seneca, NY)

Minoru Mochizuki

Jul 13, 2011, 1:19:15 AM7/13/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com

いちこめ、にこめ

(100 m individual medley and 200 m individual medley)

Hmm.

Now you said it, I can see them coming from:

1 + 個人+ medley, etc.

So, this is the way they save their breath.

They must be so out of breath that they have left with almost no breath for such mundane, or unimportant thing as communication. Or, are they trying to show that they are real professionals?

I sensed such chauvinism when a young girl say スマホ masterfully controlling the screen of a Smartphone devoting only one hand and one finger for that purpose.

Minoru Mochizuki