We'll all be rooned!

Chris Poole

Dec 5, 2007, 3:17:59 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Said Hanrahan, "before the year is out"

NECが携帯端末上の「日英自動通訳ソフト」を開発
NECが開発した、日英翻訳ソフトウエアの画面表示

 NECは30日、携帯電話端末に組み込める日英自動翻訳ソフトを開発したと発表した。携帯端末のソフトとしては初めて。音声認識技術と機械翻訳技術を合わせた統合ソフトにより、電波が届かず通話ができない状況でも端末内部の処理だけで翻訳できる。開発を担当したNEC中央研究所の笠原裕支配人者は、「この機能を搭載した携帯電話を、なるべく早く世に出したい」と自信を示した。

 自動翻訳ソフトは5万語の単語に対応しており、日本語から英語に自動翻訳する。主に旅行で使う会話を想定した内容となっている。
 開発した翻訳ソフトはまず、言葉を発すると音声の特徴を抽出し、見本となる音と似た単語を探し、その単語のつながりやすさも計算に入れて、最適な単語の並びとなるような日本語の文をはじき出し、携帯画面に表示する。この処理を約1秒で行う。
 表示された日本文を確認し「翻訳」ボタンを押すと、こちらも約1秒で翻訳処理して英文を画面に表示する。自動翻訳はNECの技術を用いて、単語ごとにどの文脈で使われる語かを管理しており、旅行会話などに特徴的な表現の翻訳精度を向上させた。
 今回発表した試作品では、日本語を英訳して端末上の画面に表示するだけだが、技術的には翻訳した英文を音声合成して読み上げることもできるという。また、和訳も可能。今後は、中国語にも対応できるように開発を進めていく。
 デジタルカメラや腕時計などへの搭載も視野に入れている。携帯電話端末への搭載や発売時期は未定だが、まずNEC製の携帯電話端末に搭載される見通しだ。

Warren Smith

Dec 5, 2007, 3:32:45 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who prefer to read in English.... <grin>

 NEC has developed a Japanese-English translation software screen display
NEC 30, the mobile phone terminal組MI込MERU day British automated translation software developed and released. Mobile software for the first time. Speech recognition technology and machine translation technology for integrated software tailored to the radio is届KAZU call is not in the situation inside the terminal can be processed only in translation. Responsible for the development of NEC's Central Research Institute Hiroshi Kasahara manager, "This feature is equipped with a mobile phone, as soon as I'd like to" and showed confidence.

Automatic translation software is 50,000 words in response to the word, from Japanese to English translation. Lord travelers use the assumption that the contents of the conversation said.
Translation software is developed first, few words and voice characteristics extraction, samples and sound and looking for a similar word, the word ties and SUSA calculated into the optimal sequence of words and become Japan Words sentence knocking out the mobile screen. This process about 1.5 seconds.
Japan statement appears to confirm the "Translate" button, and more about one second in the English translation process on the computer screen. Automatic translation is NEC's technology, every word in every language to be used in the context of management, and travel conversation and expression characteristics of translation accuracy improved.
The prototype released by the Japanese to English translation on the terminal screen, but only the technical translation of the English speech synthesis to read it. The Japanese translation is available. Looking ahead, the Chinese are capable of responding to development.
Digital cameras and watches, and the key is to put it in perspective. Mobile phones with the time and have not yet been released, but the first NEC's mobile phones expected to be installed.

Chris Poole

Dec 5, 2007, 3:42:33 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
"grin"? Cack, you mean. Is this from the translatoron unit in question?

"Lord travellers"..Dr Who springs to mind. And what the **** is "conversation used when travelling"?? It is precisely when I meet foreigners on the train that I feel the urge to discuss existentialism, theft, haemorrhoids and trumpets, and all in the one sentence. Good luck NEC.

Chris

Warren Smith

Dec 5, 2007, 3:49:24 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I must admit.... this is NOT from the system in question, but was translated using the Google engine.

Dec 5, 2007, 6:46:18 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Not to worry: the first time the hapless traveler uses this wonderful
new product, "Japan Words sentence knocking out the mobile screen" will
take care of the hardware right then and there.

Good one, Warren!

Wolfgang Bechstein
bech...@netprisma.com

Richard Thieme

Dec 5, 2007, 6:58:45 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Yes but I thought it was astoundingly good.

Joking aside, it does seem to me that some progress is being made in that
industry.

Regards,

Richard Thieme
Dec 5, 2007, 8:07:54 PM12/5/07
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
On Dec 6, 7:49 am, "Warren Smith" <warren.sm...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I must admit.... this is NOT from the system in question, but was translated
> using the Google engine.

And thus was something of a red herring.

Electronic phrasebooks with speech-recognition &
synthesis has been on the cards for some time. I
saw an NEC prototype in 2003. They could be very
effective for tourists, but I doubt they will
roon too many professional translators,

And yes, integrating them into a 携帯 makes sense
as long as people realise that Japanese mobiles
are usually useless outside Japan. (I saw some
young tourists at Melbourne airport recently
trying their phones and muttering できない...)

Jim

Scott Rowan

Dec 5, 2007, 8:14:01 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> And yes, integrating them into a 携帯 makes sense
> as long as people realise that Japanese mobiles
> are usually useless outside Japan. (I saw some
> young tourists at Melbourne airport recently
> trying their phones and muttering できない...)

Actually, that situation has been improving recently as well. Although
most au/KDDI handsets are still useless, the majority of Docomo and
Vodafone handsets now have GSM and/or 3G roaming capability.

Cheers,

Scott Rowan

Jim Lockhart

Dec 5, 2007, 8:26:29 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I have a three-and-a half-year old au/KDDI handset, made by Sanyo, that
I bought specifically because it did offer overseas roaming capability,
and I have used it extensively in the US. My wife is now on her second
such handset. When we first got them, we had changed to au/KDDI from
Vodafone (which is now SoftBank, because Vodafone couldn't hack it in
the Japanese market) specifically because 1) no other carrier offered
internationally enabled handsets at the time, 2) we were sick of
Vodafone's crumby service, and 3) I refuse to use anything offered by
NTT or one of its affiliates unless I absolutely have to.

When did NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone [sic] start offering such handsets?

--Jim Lockhart

Jim Lockhart

Dec 5, 2007, 8:29:21 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:07:54 -0800 (PST)
JimBreen <jimb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 7:49 am, "Warren Smith" <warren.sm...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I must admit.... this is NOT from the system in question, but was translated
> > using the Google engine.
>
> And thus was something of a red herring.
>
> Electronic phrasebooks with speech-recognition &
> synthesis has been on the cards for some time. I
> saw an NEC prototype in 2003. They could be very
> effective for tourists, but I doubt they will
> roon too many professional translators,

Indeed. He who laughs last, laughs best, goes the old saw; but we should
remember that he who laughs disdainfully, often gets caught off guard.

--Jim Lockhart

Scott Rowan

Dec 5, 2007, 9:01:22 PM12/5/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> When did NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone [sic] start offering such handsets?

I think Docomo's first phone with global roaming was the N900iG which
was released in Dec 2004. Today, most of the current 905i and a few of
the 705i handsets support 3G+GSM roaming. There are also some handsets
which support 3G roaming only in Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania but
not in the USA. If you're looking for a cheap handset with 3G+GSM, the
Simpure series are worth a look.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/product/roaming/index.html

As for Softbank, their 3G range offers 3G roaming capability in
Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania. In their non-3G range, I think there
are some handsets that also support GSM roaming (e.g. Samsung models).

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/global_service/roaming/index.html

Cheers,

Scott Rowan

Hanae

Dec 6, 2007, 3:11:17 AM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
>> It is precisely when I meet foreigners on the train that I feel the
urge to discuss existentialism, theft, haemorrhoids and trumpets, and
all in the one sentence. <<

And people stand for this?! <g> I'm reminded of the scene in the old
movie Airplane! where a young man begins telling the story of his life
to nearby passengers, who one by one commit suicide to avoid hearing any
more!

OT Regards
Helen Hanae

Chris Poole

Dec 6, 2007, 3:57:55 AM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> And people stand for this?! <g>

They stand and sing the Internationale!

Translate THAT, mobile phone!

Chris

vince

Dec 6, 2007, 7:14:17 PM12/6/07
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
First of all, wow, i LOVE the term "Lord Traveller"!! Wow.

Second, I fully expect there to be a computer system capible of human-
like thought one day. A computer that is capible not only the kind of
thinking process required for translation, but philosophy, reasoning,
and maybe even artistic choices like original music composition or
painting. I watch a lot of sci-fi, so my opinion is definitely
biased. But yeah, I expect all that to happen someday.

But I also think that even the smallest achievements in "artificial
intelligence" are not due for, oh, say another 300 years or so.

*Note: this is 100% uninformed opinion! I have no actual facts about
the field of artificial intelligence.

Third, I also love the term "organic translator." And it just so
happens that I am due to print up another batch of business cards...

Mark Stevenson

Dec 6, 2007, 8:08:11 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
May I just point out that throughout this thread "roon" and "rooned"
have been used as (non-standard) contractions of "maroon" and
"marooned", respectively, without any clarification. And this is on a
list populated by English speaking "language professionals", no less.
Honestly! ;-)

Mark Stevenson

heather glass

Dec 6, 2007, 8:16:05 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
At 10:08 AM +0900 7/12/07, Mark Stevenson wrote:
>May I just point out that throughout this thread "roon" and "rooned"
>have been used as (non-standard) contractions of "maroon" and
>"marooned", respectively, without any clarification.

Mark, I beg to differ. The term 'rooned' is well known in Australian
English, from the bush ballad that has a line in it to the effect,
'We'll all be 'rooned', said Hanrahan, in accents most forlorn,....'.
As you can see, the term is an Australian pronunciation rendition of
'ruined'. Here's the full text for you. Heather Glass

http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/obrienj/poetry/hanrahan.html

--
==============================
Heather Glass

Chris Poole

Dec 6, 2007, 8:47:14 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Heather,
A salutary tale for the global warmenistas.

Chris

Nora Stevens Heath

Dec 6, 2007, 9:10:46 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Heather Glass wrote:

> Mark, I beg to differ. The term 'rooned' is well known in Australian
> English, from the bush ballad that has a line in it to the effect,
> 'We'll all be 'rooned', said Hanrahan, in accents most forlorn,....'.

And I for one (I'm certain I'm alone in this) immediately thought back
to a typo a friend had made once while mock-threatening me online:
"You'll be runed! Runed, I say!"

Nora
futhorc that for a lark

--
Nora Stevens Heath <no...@fumizuki.com>
J-E translations: http://www.fumizuki.com/

Mark Stevenson

Dec 6, 2007, 9:44:13 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> Mark, I beg to differ. The term 'rooned' is well known in Australian
> English, from the bush ballad that has a line in it to the effect,
> 'We'll all be 'rooned', said Hanrahan, in accents most forlorn,....'.
> As you can see, the term is an Australian pronunciation rendition of
> 'ruined'. Here's the full text for you. Heather Glass

Well that's interesting. I hadn't thought the OP might have intended
something else, and I had completely ignored the Hanrahan reference. I
stand corrected. (And as an Australian, I guess I should also be
ashamed of myself.)

Still, there is little clarification given *ducks*

Mark Stevenson

Chris Poole

Dec 6, 2007, 9:49:33 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
OP here.

> (And as an Australian, I guess I should also be
> ashamed of myself.)

I'll say! I bet you don't even know the Jolly Swagman's name. It's right
there in the lyrics....

heather glass

Dec 6, 2007, 9:54:31 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
At 11:44 AM +0900 7/12/07, Mark Stevenson wrote:
> (And as an Australian, I guess I should also be
>ashamed of myself.)

!!!??!

>Still, there is little clarification given *ducks*

Sorry, you just lost me there. Ducks? heather glass

Will Jasprizza

Dec 6, 2007, 10:28:57 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
If I get your meaning the suicidal thief's name was Andy

Will Jasprizza

> From: "Chris Poole" <cpta...@ozemail.com.au>
> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:49:33 +1100
> To: <hon...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: We'll all be rooned!

vince

Dec 6, 2007, 10:35:21 PM12/6/07
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I had no idea it was an Australian term. I just thought it was
extremely cool.

Chris Poole

Dec 6, 2007, 10:40:21 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
pin pon

Dec 6, 2007, 11:36:59 PM12/6/07
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled
"Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

Down came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong,
Up got the swaggy and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Down came the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred,
Up came the troopers, one, two, three,
"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?"
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
"Who's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Up got the swaggy and jumped into the billabong,
"You'll never catch me alive," said he,
And his ghost may be heard as you passed by that billabong,
"Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me
And his ghost may be heard as you passed by that billabong,
"Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me?"

Will