doukigen(同期元) = sync source?

Dan Sunstrum

Aug 14, 2011, 4:22:26 PM8/14/11
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Hi there. I'm translating what appears to be a design document for
some sort of smartphone data management system and I came across the
following word: 同期元. After doing a bit of searching (including this
group's archives) and not finding any definitions, the most promising
instance of it I found is this page on Apple's website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766?viewlocale=ja_JP
Open the 「同期とバックアップ」 section and then the 「iTunes のバックアップ対象 」 section
and it's about halfway down: 「外部の同期元のリスト (Mobile Me、Exchange
ActiveSync)」

The English equivalent of that page (http://support.apple.com/kb/
HT1766?viewlocale=en_US) has that as "List of External Sync Sources
(Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)." Is "sync source" the accepted term
for this sort of service?

Also, just curious, but what is the 読み方 for this word? "doukigen" was
my best guess. Sorry if I got it wrong.

- Dan Sunstrum

Dr. M. S. Niranjan

Aug 14, 2011, 5:48:07 PM8/14/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Sync source is the right term.

The reading is "doukimoto"

Dr. M. S. Niranjan

Spencer Walle

Aug 14, 2011, 5:52:12 PM8/14/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dan,

When Toshiba filed JP-A 2009-020823 in the US as US 2009019451, they translated 同期元 as "synchronization source" (see JP claim 9, EN claim 8). So you've already got your answer.

Can't speak to the reading, but Dr. Niranjan seems to be confident.

Spencer Walle

Tom Donahue

Aug 14, 2011, 6:18:53 PM8/14/11
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Dr. M. S. Niranjan writes:

> The reading is "doukimoto"

I agree. It's one of a pair, the other being 同期先(どうきさき)
or sync destination.

--
Tom Donahue

Dan Sunstrum

Aug 14, 2011, 9:27:28 PM8/14/11
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Thank you so much!

Doukimoto, huh... I'll have to remember that. =)

- Dan Sunstrum