How to make it easier to contribute - easy way to run tests

Betelgeuse

Jul 15, 2010, 2:25:21 PM7/15/10
to Hobo Dev
I think one of the prerequisites for starting to work on an open
source project is that it's easy to run the test suite for the
project. For hobo out of the box you have nothing working. The tests
require you to setup mysql in a very specific way that is not
documented anywhere. What do you think about making tests_all the
default target and use an in memory sqlite database for the tests?

Owen

Jul 15, 2010, 4:01:24 PM7/15/10
to Hobo Dev
Makes sense to me for the majority of tests. Bryan, Tom, Matt?

-Owen

Bryan Larsen

Jul 15, 2010, 10:17:24 PM7/15/10
to Hobo Dev
The problem is definitely worse than that -- I've been working on the
hobo-test-environment for the past week, trying to make that easier
for people to use. I don't think that anybody besides myself has
successfully run the full suite of system tests.

System tests are always going to have more substantial requirements,
but I'm trying to make that easier for people to handle. Hopefully I
will be calling for volunteers soon to iron out the rest of the speed
bumps.

As far as your sqlite idea goes, that's a great idea. If you don't
feel like implementing it yourself, make sure to enter a feature
request on Lighthouse so that it doesn't get lost. Unfortunately, I'm
over committed right now with "real work".

thanks,
Bryan

Betelgeuse

Jul 16, 2010, 3:53:20 PM7/16/10
to Hobo Dev
Now that I got your attention could I get input on:
https://hobo.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8324/tickets/760-rake-test-doesnt-actually-run-the-unit-tests-in-hobo

What should be done to the tests?

Bryan Larsen

Jul 16, 2010, 4:05:17 PM7/16/10
to hob...@googlegroups.com
Those tests are very old. The permissions system changed drastically
in 0.8.4. I kept them around because they could be used as inspiration
for new tests, but they would have to be rewritten.

Bryan

Betelgeuse

Jul 17, 2010, 9:56:43 AM7/17/10
to Hobo Dev
We have version control for the purpose of being able to look at old
code.
Any objections to removing them and replacing them with a link to
github?