About Windows

luigi

Mar 3, 2010, 4:44:17 AM3/3/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Hi all,
AFAIK hiphop runs only on Linux now: may I ask if there are plans
for windows? if yes, when?

I am just starting some new project and some news about the Windows
plans could change my roadmap.

Any idea?

Thanks!!!
Luigi

Scott MacVicar

Mar 3, 2010, 5:35:03 AM3/3/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com

We currently have no plans to add Windows support, if someone within the community comes up with a branch or a patch that provides this then we'll gladly accept it.

Scott

Nicolas Ramz

Mar 3, 2010, 6:16:43 AM3/3/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested: a lot of web developers are using Windows, even though the final site usually run under some Unix/Linux server...

I'll do some research/work on it if I can have some time.
--
Nicolas Ramz - Développeur Web
Tél: 06-84-35-08-88

Moisa Teodor

Mar 3, 2010, 7:22:38 AM3/3/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
try to use it under cygwin. don;t know if it works; I'm using linux myself.
--
Doru.
_________________________________

Tom Boutell

Mar 3, 2010, 10:35:14 AM3/3/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
HipHop is an expensive optimization - you have to go to a lot of
trouble to use it, but it does add a meaningful performance boost.

As such it is not something you should be using on a new project
unless you're absolutely sure you will truly need it and have already
exhausted other, much easier measures like activating APC. It makes
more sense to optimize your PHP, enable APC, tune Apache right, etc.
before you even consider it.

Now we bring Windows into the mix: you're talking about developing on
Windows and deploying on Linux, and wanting HipHop in both
environments. This doesn't make sense because HipHop on Windows will
necessarily be quite a bit different from HipHop on Linux, and the
only reason to suffer through getting HipHop to work in both would be
to have a more accurate simulation of the production server.

So if what you're after is an accurate simulation of the production
server, fire up a Linux virtual machine in VirtualBox. It's free, it's
a 100% accurate replica of your production environment, you can set up
HipHop there if you really want to, and HipHop is currently a lot more
work than setting up a virtual machine!

So I suggest you let that be a litmus test for your seriousness about
this - if setting up a Linux VM on your PC sounds like too much work,
HipHop is probably WAY more work than you're really ready to put in
for this project. Think about just turning on APC and writing better
queries first.

On Mar 3, 6:16 am, Nicolas Ramz <nicolas.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested: a lot of web developers are using Windows, even though the
> final site usually run under some Unix/Linux server...
>
> I'll do some research/work on it if I can have some time.

Marcel Esser

Mar 3, 2010, 11:09:02 AM3/3/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Tom, I actually think that question was on behalf of the misguided few
who deploy PHP on Windows.

If I am incorrect, yes, all of the above applies. It would probably be
massively premature in either case.