Welcome

Scott MacVicar

Feb 5, 2010, 7:20:35 AM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
I wanted to welcome everyone to the HipHop developers mailing list,
we're really excited by all of your interest! We're still working
through a few small things in terms of releasing the source code
(found an issue with the generic build script), but are still planning
to have it released this week. Let me know if you're well versed in
using cmake. :)

This list is intended to be for technical discussion around HipHop and
for developers working with it. If you enjoy digging into PHP's
internals, talking about pointers and compilers then this list is
right for you. I imagine that we'll see a list pop up around using
HipHop in the future, but probably not for a little while.

If you're looking for even more information, Terry Chay has a good
post (http://terrychay.com/article/hiphop-for-faster-php.shtml) that
looks deeper into HipHop. He also talks a bit about what type of
developers might find HipHop useful right now. Unless you're running
a really large deployment of PHP and have already spent time
optimising your site, right now HipHop is probably not for you.

And if you didn't catch Haiping's tech talk Tuesday night, you can
find a recording of it on UStream at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735.
(We'll work on putting up higher quality video as well.)

Slides are also availble at http://www.scribd.com/doc/26375470/HipHop-for-PHP-Tech-Tasting

I'm sure everyone has tons of questions and sorry that the source code
isn't out just quite yet.

Cheers,
Scott

Jorang

Feb 5, 2010, 7:25:43 AM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Glad to be here.
Congrats on this.

JO

On 5 Fev, 12:20, Scott MacVicar <macvi...@facebook.com> wrote:
> I wanted to welcome everyone to the HipHop developers mailing list,
> we're really excited by all of your interest! We're still working
> through a few small things in terms of releasing the source code
> (found an issue with the generic build script), but are still planning
> to have it released this week.  Let me know if you're well versed in
> using cmake. :)
>
> This list is intended to be for technical discussion around HipHop and
> for developers working with it.  If you enjoy digging into PHP's
> internals, talking about pointers and compilers then this list is
> right for you.  I imagine that we'll see a list pop up around using
> HipHop in the future, but probably not for a little while.
>
> If you're looking for even more information, Terry Chay has a good
> post (http://terrychay.com/article/hiphop-for-faster-php.shtml) that
> looks deeper into HipHop.  He also talks a bit about what type of
> developers might find HipHop useful right now.  Unless you're running
> a really large deployment of PHP and have already spent time
> optimising your site, right now HipHop is probably not for you.
>
> And if you didn't catch Haiping's tech talk Tuesday night, you can

> find a recording of it on UStream athttp://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735.

> (We'll work on putting up higher quality video as well.)
>

> Slides are also availble athttp://www.scribd.com/doc/26375470/HipHop-for-PHP-Tech-Tasting

Mike Curry

Feb 5, 2010, 7:58:46 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to the release!

Leshell Hatley

Feb 5, 2010, 9:39:01 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott.

I have one initial question though - why is it called HipHop?

-Leshell

Michel Bartz

Feb 5, 2010, 9:50:52 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to be here, and good question Leshell, why HipHop?

Can't wait to get my hands on it to compare it to Phc and Roadsend PCC (played for about 6month with both)!

2010/2/5 Leshell Hatley <les...@gmail.com>

--
Michel Bartz
Geek Professionnel

Bradley McMahon

Feb 5, 2010, 9:55:13 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Because programmers like to come up with silly names.
-Brad

Ben Sgro

Feb 5, 2010, 9:52:59 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hiphop is typically regarded as the mature & educated version of rap.
Where the focus is on
delivery, flow and wordplay, not so much catchy hooks and bravado.

So, maybe its a reference to PHP growing up a little.

heh

wardrome

Feb 5, 2010, 10:01:20 AM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Thanks for Welcome, waiting for code... any other italian here?

Samuel ROZE

Feb 5, 2010, 10:13:05 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
There's a french here! :-)

I really think that hiphop is the future production's engine for php
applications.

jamesmi...@googlemail.com

Feb 5, 2010, 10:01:35 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I have been working on phc with the mediawiki
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/188234

mike

Pedro Ivo B. Gimenes

Feb 5, 2010, 10:05:37 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Also thanks for Welcome!

As everyone else, waiting for the code, LOL. I think this gonna be as
the "php next step" ;)

Hugs from Brasil/Portugal.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM, wardrome <webm...@solarempire.it> wrote:
> Thanks for Welcome, waiting for code... any other italian here?

--
Pedro Ivo Branquinho Gimenes
"音乐可以结束,生命可以结束,理想不会"

Sat_

Feb 5, 2010, 10:14:58 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I hope so too,
at the moment isn't very clear to me why the http server cannot be apache.
i thought apache could run cgi scripts. any idea?
--

Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."

Leshell Hatley

Feb 5, 2010, 10:09:52 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to see you all take guesses at it.  Thanks for the responses to my question.  I can't wait to find out the real answer.

However, I must correct you on regarding 'HipHop'...

HipHop is the name of the entire culture that comprises rap music. It also included breakdancing, Djing, and graffiti writing.  (Maybe the graffiti writing provides a lead to the answer).  All of rap should focus on delivery, flow, and wordplay.  It's just that some who rap don't know that (unfortunately).  lol

But the essence of catchy hooks and bravado play a part too - and not a minute one.  There was always 'battling' happen between MCs (rappers) to see who could dazzle the crowd with the best metaphors...  The command of metaphors is a true mark of a genius - even Aristotle thought so - http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Aristotle.

(Could metaphors also be a hint at the answer?  Do the folks at FB want to be considered geniuses?)

Nonetheless, regarding HipHop, the above is just a brief definition.   More information (but still not complete) can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop

Again, I can't wait to hear the real answer....

frietz

Feb 5, 2010, 10:07:19 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scott. Thanks. Looking forward to see the source code for HipHop :)

Ramsey Ramos

Feb 5, 2010, 10:10:09 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Samuel ROZE

Feb 5, 2010, 10:35:42 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I think that there's an included http server to increase even more
performances. HipHop was created for Facebook at the beginning and they
may not need Apache, which is an extremely complicated (and a little
slow) http server!

HipHop should support Apache, but in his second version. However, I
expect that the HipHop web server is customisable (port for instance)
and allow specifics rules for rights... Else, we'll have to port it on
Apache, which can run CGI scripts of course, but that's slow too!

Samuel.

Pierre-Emmanuel Baroiller

Feb 5, 2010, 10:22:26 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
frenchy too :)

Brolesi, Fogliarini

Feb 5, 2010, 10:59:18 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

--

Fabio Fogliarini Brolesi
http://fabio.freesandbox.net/

"Se eu tenho uma maçã e você tem uma maçã, e nós as trocarmos, cada um continua com uma maçã. Se eu tenho uma idéia e você tem uma idéia, e nós as trocarmos, cada um fica com duas idéias."
George Bernard Shaw - Dramatrugo Irlandês

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Pierre-Emmanuel Baroiller <pe.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
frenchy too :)

Chris Vaughn

Feb 5, 2010, 11:00:01 AM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
my guess is that it started as an acronym H-PHP or HPHP. And it
stands out more if you call it HiPHoP instead of HPHP. not sure
exactly what the first H would stand for though.

Chris

On Feb 5, 8:39 am, Leshell Hatley <lesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Scott.
>
> I have one initial question though - why is it called HipHop?
>
> -Leshell

Sion Duncan

Feb 5, 2010, 11:10:26 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Scottish here!

Looking forward to getting my hands on HipHop, it would be the future of php!
--
~ Sion Duncan.

PHd in Sarcasm from the University of Smugness.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Kevin Marshall

Feb 5, 2010, 11:06:38 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
dunno...(HI)gh speed (PHP)?

- Kevin
http://wow.ly

Daniel Apt

Feb 5, 2010, 11:06:26 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-php-dev
Hyper PHP ;-)

Blake Schwendiman

Feb 5, 2010, 11:02:46 AM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Glad to be here. Very excited to see the product!

Blake

On Feb 5, 5:20 am, Scott MacVicar <macvi...@facebook.com> wrote:
> I wanted to welcome everyone to the HipHop developers mailing list,
> we're really excited by all of your interest! We're still working
> through a few small things in terms of releasing the source code
> (found an issue with the generic build script), but are still planning
> to have it released this week.  Let me know if you're well versed in
> using cmake. :)
>
> This list is intended to be for technical discussion around HipHop and
> for developers working with it.  If you enjoy digging into PHP's
> internals, talking about pointers and compilers then this list is
> right for you.  I imagine that we'll see a list pop up around using
> HipHop in the future, but probably not for a little while.
>
> If you're looking for even more information, Terry Chay has a good
> post (http://terrychay.com/article/hiphop-for-faster-php.shtml) that
> looks deeper into HipHop.  He also talks a bit about what type of
> developers might find HipHop useful right now.  Unless you're running
> a really large deployment of PHP and have already spent time
> optimising your site, right now HipHop is probably not for you.
>
> And if you didn't catch Haiping's tech talk Tuesday night, you can

> find a recording of it on UStream athttp://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735.

> (We'll work on putting up higher quality video as well.)
>

> Slides are also availble athttp://www.scribd.com/doc/26375470/HipHop-for-PHP-Tech-Tasting

Steve Krzysiak

Feb 5, 2010, 10:51:33 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
OK, who invited the french? :p  Polish American here, missed the web talk, has it been uploaded online anywhere?
-Steve Krzysiak

David Recordon

Feb 5, 2010, 11:19:14 AM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
On Feb 5, 4:51 pm, Steve Krzysiak <stkrzys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, who invited the french? :p  Polish American here, missed the web talk,
> has it been uploaded online anywhere?

Check out the link from Scott's first email. You should be able to
find it at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735.

> -Steve Krzysiak
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Pierre-Emmanuel Baroiller <
>

> pe.baroil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > frenchy too :)

Tony Zielinski

Feb 5, 2010, 11:20:12 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I rely on Gmail filters to keep my subscriptions separated and I am finding that not having a consistent text string in the subject and using the original sender address as the from address is making it impossible on this list.

CordiS

Feb 5, 2010, 11:22:43 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Russians here too

Viet Le

Feb 5, 2010, 11:20:55 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm Viet. Vietnamese here ;)

It'd be great to have Hiphop to translate PHP to C++ so that we could use generated code as a C++ library. Say I want Hiphop to process PHPExcel code to C++ and make use of generated C++ library to work with Excel files. That's be greatest thing that I can think so far.

Regards,
Viet.
--
I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
(Martin Luther King Jr.)

chri...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2010, 11:22:19 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
@Steve.
Look at the welcome message. It contains a link to the web chat.
Chris.

From: Steve Krzysiak <stkrz...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:51:33 -0600
Subject: Re: Welcome

Eric Stevens

Feb 5, 2010, 11:26:59 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Use a To: filter (to: hiphop-...@googlegroups.com)

Romeo-Adrian Cioaba

Feb 5, 2010, 11:27:39 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Tony,

i also use Gmail and i put a filter that catches all the TO: hiphop-php-dev
--
Romeo-Adrian Cioaba
email/gtalk: romeo....@spotonearth.com

Disclaimer
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient please do not read, print, re-transmit, store, disclose, copy, distribute or act in reliance on it or any attachments.  Instead please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it.  By opening any attachment to this e-mail you are expressly acknowledging that the attachment is subject to copyright, and you thereby undertake not to alter, copy, disseminate, re-transmit, rely upon or use the attachment except as expressly authorised by the sender.

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason

Feb 5, 2010, 11:26:38 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 16:20, Tony Zielinski <to...@webavant.com> wrote:
> I rely on Gmail filters to keep my subscriptions separated and I am finding
> that not having a consistent text string in the subject and using the
> original sender address as the from address is making it impossible on this
> list.

You should filter lists by the List-Id header and not by subject
prefixes, GMail supports this natively.

João Carlos Tosta dos Santos

Feb 5, 2010, 11:25:18 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I created the filter using the following string:
list:(<hiphop-php-dev.googlegroups.com>)
And hello to all!

Filipe La Ruina

Feb 5, 2010, 11:34:22 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

You can filter by showing the details of the message and clicking on Filter Messages from this mailing list.

Oh and one more Brazilian on the place wanting to see the HipHop in action ;)

Filipe La Ruina
Web Developer & Programmer
Cel.:+55 (21) 8812-9630

Igor MILOVANOVIC

Feb 5, 2010, 11:37:29 AM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

HPHP -> Hyper Performant Hypertext Preprocessor

--
Igor Milovanović
http://www.linkedin.com/in/igormilovanovic

http://feeds.feedburner.com/f13o
http://www.inforepublic.org/author/pletisan/

Jérôme Mahuet

Feb 5, 2010, 12:16:42 PM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Hello everyone :)

Happy to be here !

Jérôme Mahuet

On 5 fév, 13:20, Scott MacVicar <macvi...@facebook.com> wrote:
> I wanted to welcome everyone to the HipHop developers mailing list,
> we're really excited by all of your interest! We're still working
> through a few small things in terms of releasing the source code
> (found an issue with the generic build script), but are still planning
> to have it released this week.  Let me know if you're well versed in
> using cmake. :)
>
> This list is intended to be for technical discussion around HipHop and
> for developers working with it.  If you enjoy digging into PHP's
> internals, talking about pointers and compilers then this list is
> right for you.  I imagine that we'll see a list pop up around using
> HipHop in the future, but probably not for a little while.
>
> If you're looking for even more information, Terry Chay has a good
> post (http://terrychay.com/article/hiphop-for-faster-php.shtml) that
> looks deeper into HipHop.  He also talks a bit about what type of
> developers might find HipHop useful right now.  Unless you're running
> a really large deployment of PHP and have already spent time
> optimising your site, right now HipHop is probably not for you.
>
> And if you didn't catch Haiping's tech talk Tuesday night, you can

> find a recording of it on UStream athttp://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735.

> (We'll work on putting up higher quality video as well.)
>

> Slides are also availble athttp://www.scribd.com/doc/26375470/HipHop-for-PHP-Tech-Tasting

Steve Krzysiak

Feb 5, 2010, 1:38:17 PM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Chris and David, not sure how I missed that :p

Amahdy

Feb 5, 2010, 1:32:21 PM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if Hyper-PHP was really the original name of this product? as reviled before (by an x-employee) and as suggested the sequence:
Hyper-PHP -> H-PHP -> HPHP -> HipHop ... I like HPHP more by anyway :D (H php)

Hello from Egypt here! :)

p.s: Use "list" filter better than "to" ;)

-- Amahdy AbdElAziz
IT & Development Manager
3D Diagnostix Inc. www.3ddx.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/amahdyabdelaziz

Hasan Ozgan

Feb 5, 2010, 1:55:20 PM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome everybody!. I am waiting impatiently.

--
Hasan Ozgan (a.k.a meddah)
Web Architect

Netology Foundation
http://netology.org

Floren

Feb 5, 2010, 2:17:15 PM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev, Scott MacVicar
Thanks Scott, looking forward to the code release.

Cody Robertson

Feb 5, 2010, 2:04:59 PM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
That makes two...

Sent on the go from my Peek
-------------------------------------

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Steve Krzysiak <stkrz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Chris and David, not sure how I missed that :p
>

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM, <chri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> @Steve.
>> Look at the welcome message. It contains a link to the web chat.
>> Chris.
>>
>> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

>> ------------------------------
>> *From: * Steve Krzysiak <stkrz...@gmail.com>
>> *Date: *Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:51:33 -0600
>> *To: *<hiphop-...@googlegroups.com>
>> *Subject: *Re: Welcome

N A

Feb 5, 2010, 5:42:26 PM2/5/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!!!,

Thaaaaaanks 4 the opportunity, iiiiii'm sooo happy 2 B here :) really
:D this is freakin' awesome:D

Would you mind if a n00b... u know... just... spectated?

Thanks in advance if not,

Love:

-Erendis^^ (Hungary here :))

tychay

Feb 5, 2010, 9:48:02 PM2/5/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
On Feb 5, 8:00 am, Chris Vaughn <ch...@cvaughn.com> wrote:
> my guess is that it started as an acronym  H-PHP or HPHP.  And it
> stands out more if you call it HiPHoP instead of HPHP.  not sure
> exactly what the first H would stand for though.

That's my guess too since I heard it called HPHP before anyone had
written a word on it.

I always assumed the "H" stood for “Haiping.” and never heard it being
“Hyper” until that random interview out of the blue in early January.
Of course, they said if you talk to the developer about basketball,
you would have the most awkward conversation you’d ever have with a
human being your entire life.

That’s crazy talk, because IIRC Haiping loves loves loves the Rockets.

Back when I was at Plaxo writing some early Ajax code for them, I had
to hold the connection open and needed two sorts of "pings" for data.
I called one "loping" and the other "haiping" after said developer.

IIRC, he was none to thrilled with that homage.

Take care,

terry

Herbert Dong

Feb 5, 2010, 10:37:38 PM2/5/10