WordPress 3.0 Compiled and Benchmarked

Hui Chen

Jun 23, 2010, 6:27:28 PM6/23/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Hi everyone,

After fixing a couple of things, I have successfully compiled WordPress 3.0 which was just released last week. All functions including multisite support are working as I have tested. Please read the article in following link on how to compile WordPress 3.0 in four easy steps:

http://huichen.org/en/2010/06/wordpress-three-hardened-by-hphp/

To prove it works, I have set up a test blog and you are welcome to log in and try playing with it:

http://test.huichen.org/
(Both username and password are 'test'. After logging in you will be redirected to the dashboard of sub-site http://test.huichen.org/test)

The compiled WordPress is about 40% faster than the PHP version. See the detail of my benchmark:

http://huichen.org/en/2010/06/wordpress-3-benchmark/

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Hui

Scott MacVicar

Jun 23, 2010, 9:17:31 PM6/23/10
to <hiphop-php-dev@googlegroups.com>
Awesome work, we fixed the problem with wp_reset_vars() last week to do with variable variable globals. Those should now work.

- S

Hui Chen

Jun 23, 2010, 9:49:21 PM6/23/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott, I saw dynamic global support was added to HPHP in the git log. You guys are really quick in adding new features. Good job!

br,
Hui

Hui Chen

Jun 24, 2010, 11:48:08 PM6/24/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Update:

I have done some new benchmarks of WordPress with a page caching plugin. This time HPHP gave even more impressive results.

With a page caching plugin, HPHPed WordPress has gained 2.7x speedup over PHP. Dynamic page generation of HPHP is super fast that its speed is more than a quarter of static content by Nginx.

Please read more details from

http://huichen.org/en/2010/06/wordpress-3-benchmark-part-2/
--
Hui Chen
Graduate Research Assistant

Roberto Innocenti

Jul 7, 2010, 7:38:57 PM7/7/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I have done the same test (wordpress 3) with Apache 2.12 php 5.2.10 apc + Hyper Cache vs hiphop + Hyper Cache and hiphop is a little more slow than Lamp, don't unstand why.

Without Hyper Cache, hipop is 100% faster than Lamp.

Roberto