Working toward releasing source code

Scott MacVicar

Feb 8, 2010, 2:05:01 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to give a bit of an update around where things stand with releasing the HipHop source code. We really wanted to have it out by now, but have run into some build/compilation issues when removing certain Facebook-specific extensions. I've been in Europe since Wednesday speaking at FOSDEM, but will be back in the office with the engineering team late tomorrow.

So here's what we're thinking...

1) We've gone ahead and opened up the GitHub repo to start sharing documentation around prerequisites, build and then the various commands (and options) supported by HipHop. You'll also find a readme file which looks pretty similar to this email.

2) Within the next few days (and maybe even sooner) we'll release an initial copy of the source code that you can build on CentOS, but doesn't have a lot of commit history and has some workarounds for these build issues.

3) We'll then follow that up with a much cleaner source code release, commit history, commits as the team continues working, and be in a state to accept contributions back. Overall we're erring a bit more on the side of making sure that you can get HipHop up and running without too much work.

If you're interested, check out the wiki for documentation starting with http://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/building-and-installing and then http://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/running-hiphop. Sorry that we're lagging a few days behind where we wanted to be. And check out http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735 for a recording of last week's tech talk.

Cheers,
Scott (and the HipHop team)

Michel Bartz

Feb 8, 2010, 2:53:49 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for keeping us up to date. As soon as i get my hands on HipHop, i will try to build it on ubuntu 9.10 64bits, and see how it goes.

2010/2/8 Scott MacVicar <macv...@facebook.com>

--
Michel Bartz
Geek Professionnel

Marcel Esser

Feb 8, 2010, 2:57:55 PM2/8/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Ditto, I'll also be trying to get it to build under Debian. I'll post
my troubles/successes.

On Feb 8, 2:53 pm, Michel Bartz <bartz.mic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for keeping us up to date. As soon as i get my hands on HipHop, i
> will try to build it on ubuntu 9.10 64bits, and see how it goes.
>

> 2010/2/8 Scott MacVicar <macvi...@facebook.com>

> > I wanted to give a bit of an update around where things stand with
> > releasing the HipHop source code.  We really wanted to have it out by now,
> > but have run into some build/compilation issues when removing certain
> > Facebook-specific extensions.  I've been in Europe since Wednesday speaking
> > at FOSDEM, but will be back in the office with the engineering team late
> > tomorrow.
>
> > So here's what we're thinking...
>
> > 1) We've gone ahead and opened up the GitHub repo to start sharing
> > documentation around prerequisites, build and then the various commands (and
> > options) supported by HipHop.  You'll also find a readme file which looks
> > pretty similar to this email.
>
> > 2) Within the next few days (and maybe even sooner) we'll release an
> > initial copy of the source code that you can build on CentOS, but doesn't
> > have a lot of commit history and has some workarounds for these build
> > issues.
>
> > 3) We'll then follow that up with a much cleaner source code release,
> > commit history, commits as the team continues working, and be in a state to
> > accept contributions back.  Overall we're erring a bit more on the side of
> > making sure that you can get HipHop up and running without too much work.
>
> > If you're interested, check out the wiki for documentation starting with
> >http://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/building-and-installingand

> > thenhttp://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/running-hiphop.  Sorry

> > that we're lagging a few days behind where we wanted to be.  And check out

> >http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735for a recording of last week's tech

André Ferreira

Feb 8, 2010, 3:44:21 PM2/8/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Thanks for the update Scott, looking forward to digging in.

On Feb 8, 7:05 pm, Scott MacVicar <macvi...@facebook.com> wrote:
> I wanted to give a bit of an update around where things stand with releasing the HipHop source code.  We really wanted to have it out by now, but have run into some build/compilation issues when removing certain Facebook-specific extensions.  I've been in Europe since Wednesday speaking at FOSDEM, but will be back in the office with the engineering team late tomorrow.
>
> So here's what we're thinking...
>
> 1) We've gone ahead and opened up the GitHub repo to start sharing documentation around prerequisites, build and then the various commands (and options) supported by HipHop.  You'll also find a readme file which looks pretty similar to this email.
>
> 2) Within the next few days (and maybe even sooner) we'll release an initial copy of the source code that you can build on CentOS, but doesn't have a lot of commit history and has some workarounds for these build issues.
>
> 3) We'll then follow that up with a much cleaner source code release, commit history, commits as the team continues working, and be in a state to accept contributions back.  Overall we're erring a bit more on the side of making sure that you can get HipHop up and running without too much work.
>

> If you're interested, check out the wiki for documentation starting withhttp://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/building-and-installingand thenhttp://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/running-hiphop.  Sorry that we're lagging a few days behind where we wanted to be.  And check outhttp://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735for a recording of last week's tech talk.

Michael McGlothlin

Feb 8, 2010, 4:06:08 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I for one thank you. I spend to much time fighting with badly released
and badly maintained code. Take your time and do it right.

Thanks,
Michael McGlothlin

On Feb 8, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Scott MacVicar <macv...@facebook.com>

pablox

Feb 8, 2010, 4:45:44 PM2/8/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
I will try to build it on debian or cygwin. Will post results.

Cheers,
Pawel

On Feb 8, 9:06 pm, Michael McGlothlin <mogm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I for one thank you. I spend to much time fighting with badly released
> and badly maintained code. Take your time and do it right.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael McGlothlin
>

> On Feb 8, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Scott MacVicar <macvi...@facebook.com>

> wrote:
>

> > I wanted to give a bit of an update around where things stand with
> > releasing the HipHop source code.  We really wanted to have it out
> > by now, but have run into some build/compilation issues when
> > removing certain Facebook-specific extensions.  I've been in Europe
> > since Wednesday speaking at FOSDEM, but will be back in the office
> > with the engineering team late tomorrow.
>
> > So here's what we're thinking...
>
> > 1) We've gone ahead and opened up the GitHub repo to start sharing
> > documentation around prerequisites, build and then the various
> > commands (and options) supported by HipHop.  You'll also find a
> > readme file which looks pretty similar to this email.
>
> > 2) Within the next few days (and maybe even sooner) we'll release an
> > initial copy of the source code that you can build on CentOS, but
> > doesn't have a lot of commit history and has some workarounds for
> > these build issues.
>
> > 3) We'll then follow that up with a much cleaner source code
> > release, commit history, commits as the team continues working, and
> > be in a state to accept contributions back.  Overall we're erring a
> > bit more on the side of making sure that you can get HipHop up and
> > running without too much work.
>
> > If you're interested, check out the wiki for documentation starting
> > withhttp://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/building-and-installing

> >  and thenhttp://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/wikis/running-

> > hiphop.  Sorry that we're lagging a few days behind where we wanted

> > to be.  And check outhttp://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4409735for a

Pedro Sanchez

Feb 8, 2010, 6:17:01 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I also will try to build it in Gentoo.

Regards

jamesmi...@googlemail.com

Feb 8, 2010, 6:21:01 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
I already stated I will be working on the media wiki.
in addition, I will be looking into llvm and gcc optimizations,
Code generation and type inference.

Mike Curry

Feb 8, 2010, 10:01:50 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
unsubscribe

David Strauss

Feb 8, 2010, 6:26:21 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Since this is turning into the commitments thread, I'll mention that
I'll be working on running Drupal/Pressflow with HipHop on CentOS and
Ubuntu.

On 2010-02-08 23:21, jamesmi...@googlemail.com wrote:
> I already stated I will be working on the media wiki.
> in addition, I will be looking into llvm and gcc optimizations,
> Code generation and type inference.

--
David Strauss
| da...@fourkitchens.com
Four Kitchens
| http://fourkitchens.com
| +1 512 454 6659 [office]
| +1 512 870 8453 [direct]

signature.asc

Mario De Roma

Feb 8, 2010, 6:44:26 PM2/8/10
to hiphop-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody, I'm eagerly waiting for the release, like many of you.
I will try building on Mac OS X, 10.4, PPC architecture and I do not
know what outcome should I expect.

Everything could go wrong as hell as much as everything could work like a charm.
Hoping for the best and fearing for the worst: good reasons to be eager.

sgerrand

Feb 9, 2010, 3:46:49 PM2/9/10
to HipHop for PHP Dev
Happy to start building DEB and RPM files for 64 bit Debian/Ubuntu and
RHEL/CentOS.