Tourism at it's finest

1 view

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 9:06:34 AM8/2/04
My Wife and I went to Bridgewater to visit the South Shore Exhibition on
it's last day. We drove unto Exhibition Drive and saw no parking signs on
one side of the road, but, none on the opposite side of the road. So we
parked on the side that didn't have any signage.

When we crossed the road one of the fellows that was collecting a
parking fee from people entering the grounds asked if we were going to park
there, I responded to the affirmative. To which, he came back with you can't
park there, I pointed out the fact that there were no signs to that effect
along the entire length of the road (on that side). He said it didn't
matter, they had a parking lot. We went towards the main entrance of the EX,
and he went across the street to make a note of my licence plate. He passed
us going to the entrance and I asked him what his intentions were, he said
that he was going to call the police and have my car ticketed and/or towed.
I wished him good luck (as that would be hard to have done because of the
lack of signage), and he offered a lower part of his body to me, to be
kissed. I spoke with a number of people about the road and parking and they
stated that, I was not the first person to be harassed about parking on the
road. To quote one, 'The people in this town, are not like people anywhere
else in the province', a fact that I hope is true, for the sake of tourism
in the rest of the province.

About fifteen minutes later, I was paged on the Public Address System,
and my presence was requested at my car's location within ten minutes. We
went to the car, and was greeted by one of Bridgewater's police officers. He
pointed out the fact that there was a parking lot across the street and that
I had been told by the volunteers that I couldn't park on the street. I
pointed out the absence of signage, notifying motorists of that fact. He
said it didn't matter, that I had been told by people (not employees of the
Town or officials of any kind) that I couldn't park there, and that it "WAS
Exhibition Week" and that was that. If I didn't move my car, it would be
ticketed for being in a no parking zone.

Rather than have to waste my time and money going to court in
Bridgewater to argue the ticket, I chose to leave this little jewel of
tourism on our south shore.

Message has been deleted

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 9:19:11 AM8/2/04

"Foghorn Leghorn" <f...@no.mail> wrote in message

> Yeehaw! Bubba done come out of the donut shop to tell that city
> slicker what he cain and caint do in Bildgewater! What a small town
> hick like attitude. Brian you should write a letter to the editor!

You've just read it, John.

--
Brian

http://www.cakesbydarlene.ca

http://www.accesswave.ca/~orion

Denis Lane

Aug 2, 2004, 9:30:18 AM8/2/04

"Brian Smith" <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message
I would have let him ticket me, but taken pictures of the area and taken
them with you to court and watch the judge laugh the cop right out of court

nos...@eastlink.ca

Aug 2, 2004, 9:31:18 AM8/2/04
Brian Smith wrote:

<snipped for space>

> Rather than have to waste my time and money going to court in
> Bridgewater to argue the ticket, I chose to leave this little jewel of
> tourism on our south shore.

LOL. Brian, the same thing happened to me, only I quietly left after Mr.
Security guard spoke to me, because my wife was there taking his side. It was
bad, I wanted to leave the both of them behind ;-)

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 9:42:38 AM8/2/04

<nos...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message news:410E4226...@eastlink.ca...

> LOL. Brian, the same thing happened to me, only I quietly left after Mr.
> Security guard spoke to me, because my wife was there taking his side. It
was
> bad, I wanted to leave the both of them behind ;-)

Oh, let me assure you, that my Wife was on their side too! Why is it that
the women folk, don't see the obvious? No signage, means that you are not in
the wrong. The police officer, even tried to use the 'What if a large truck
had to leave the exhibition grounds and the driver couldn't make it onto the
road withou striking your car?' My response was, 'Then you could give him a
ticket for failure to have care and control of his vehicle.' He didn't see
any humour in that statement.

Let me say also, that when I lived outside of Bridgewater, the Townies (what
the town folk were called, then and now still) display a dislike for anyone
from outside of their little town. It used to be a nice place to visit, but
it's becoming a good place to avoid.

G. Wayne Hines

Aug 2, 2004, 9:43:02 AM8/2/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:16:44 UTC, Foghorn Leghorn <f...@no.mail>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:06:34 -0300, "Brian Smith"
> <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote:
>
> >went to the car, and was greeted by one of Bridgewater's police officers. He
> >pointed out the fact that there was a parking lot across the street and that
> >I had been told by the volunteers that I couldn't park on the street. I
> >pointed out the absence of signage, notifying motorists of that fact. He
> >said it didn't matter, that I had been told by people (not employees of the
> >Town or officials of any kind) that I couldn't park there, and that it "WAS
> >Exhibition Week" and that was that. If I didn't move my car, it would be
> >ticketed for being in a no parking zone.
> >
> > Rather than have to waste my time and money going to court in
> >Bridgewater to argue the ticket, I chose to leave this little jewel of
> >tourism on our south shore.
>

> Yeehaw! Bubba done come out of the donut shop to tell that city
> slicker what he cain and caint do in Bildgewater! What a small town
> hick like attitude. Brian you should write a letter to the editor!

A letter to the police chief and chair of the town's police
commission would also be in order, with a copy to the mayor
and town council.

gwh

--
# Ah, but I was so much older then, #
# I'm younger than that now. #

Variant

Aug 2, 2004, 10:08:57 AM8/2/04
Brian Smith <Hal...@novascotia.canada> wrote:
> Why is it that the women folk, don't see the obvious?

Completely arrogant and baseless statement. Hopefully the women of this
newsgroup let you know as well.

The way I see it Brian, is you were wrong. It was a special event and
they requested nobody park on that strip. Not a big deal - things have
to be adjusted to accommodate everything during these type of events.

The absence of a sign does not make it right to do so (do you need a sign
to signify you can't set off an M80 in a parking lot?) Why ruin
your trip when you can accept the event rules and move on?

--
/* Variant */

nos...@eastlink.ca

Aug 2, 2004, 10:09:36 AM8/2/04
Brian Smith wrote:

> <nos...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message news:410E4226...@eastlink.ca...
> >
> > LOL. Brian, the same thing happened to me, only I quietly left after Mr.
> > Security guard spoke to me, because my wife was there taking his side. It
> was
> > bad, I wanted to leave the both of them behind ;-)
>
> Oh, let me assure you, that my Wife was on their side too! Why is it that
> the women folk, don't see the obvious? No signage, means that you are not in
> the wrong. The police officer, even tried to use the 'What if a large truck
> had to leave the exhibition grounds and the driver couldn't make it onto the
> road withou striking your car?' My response was, 'Then you could give him a
> ticket for failure to have care and control of his vehicle.' He didn't see
> any humour in that statement.

Bridgewater town police are a strange breed. I've chuckled to myself and out
loud on a few occasions now. I know I'm starting to get a little off topic, but.
One day I was at Canadian Tire for an oil change and they said it would be ready
in one hour, so I thought I would walk down to the river, then back, to kill the
time. I was almost to the bottom of the hill when two cops in a car approached
me. They said there was "something" going on in the area and that I met the
description of the suspect. They wanted to know my name, so I lied to them and
gave them a false one. They asked me for ID, so I told them to drive me back to
my car (up the hill) at CT and I could show them... total bluff. They said
"nah", carry on, at which time I literally chuckled out loud and said "OK
officers, thank you" and went on my way.

> Let me say also, that when I lived outside of Bridgewater, the Townies (what
> the town folk were called, then and now still) display a dislike for anyone
> from outside of their little town. It used to be a nice place to visit, but
> it's becoming a good place to avoid.

Sounds more like Chester.

Hawk

Aug 2, 2004, 10:53:08 AM8/2/04

"Brian Smith" <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message
Were there other vehicles parked on that side of the street where you wanted
to park? Could you see that by parking there that your car may impede
service and emergency vehicles, and if not, do you think that your judgement
of the conditions was better than that the town or exibition officials who
made the "special event" ruling, or were you simply intent on exercising
your right of the letter of the law?
Sometimes, common sense has to prevail and people have to accept what is
right for the conditions, rather than always fighting the system.
Did you ever consider that your action caused several other people,
including a police officer, to be diverted from other things, some of which
may have been serious rather than trivial??
Just another perspective, Brian

Hawk

G. Wayne Hines

Aug 2, 2004, 10:38:02 AM8/2/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:08:57 UTC, Variant
<var...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Brian Smith <Hal...@novascotia.canada> wrote:
> > Why is it that the women folk, don't see the obvious?
>
> Completely arrogant and baseless statement. Hopefully the women of this
> newsgroup let you know as well.
>
> The way I see it Brian, is you were wrong. It was a special event and
> they requested nobody park on that strip. Not a big deal - things have
> to be adjusted to accommodate everything during these type of events.

And, in most places, when they do this, they post signs
advising people. Otherwise, how are people from outside the
neighbourhood, like Brian, supposed to know?

> The absence of a sign does not make it right to do so (do you need a sign
> to signify you can't set off an M80 in a parking lot?) Why ruin

Now you're being silly.

Rick Walker

Aug 2, 2004, 11:00:31 AM8/2/04

> "Foghorn Leghorn" <f...@no.mail> wrote in message
> >
> > Yeehaw! Bubba done come out of the donut shop to tell that city
> > slicker what he cain and caint do in Bildgewater! What a small town
> > hick like attitude. Brian you should write a letter to the editor!
>
> You've just read it, John.
>
> --
> Brian

Well done, my friend! Proper signage is imperative, especially during
high-traffic tourist season. All they've seemed to do is deter visitors,
not invite them!

- Rick

Greg Beaulieu

Aug 2, 2004, 11:15:45 AM8/2/04
Brian Smith (Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada) wrote:
: and he went across the street to make a note of my licence plate. He passed

: us going to the entrance and I asked him what his intentions were, he said
: that he was going to call the police and have my car ticketed and/or towed.
: I wished him good luck (as that would be hard to have done because of the
: lack of signage), and he offered a lower part of his body to me, to be
: kissed.

Maybe it's something about parking lot jockeys? Let me tell you my tale.

Last Monday I had a meeting downtown at lunchtime. I drove there only to
discover that all of the waterfront lots had been closed due to tall ship
prepwork. However, heading along Lower Water St. I discovered that the
former provincial government lot across from Summit Place had been
converted to public parking, so I pulled in and parked.

They had installed one of those pay-in-advance machines at the entrance
similar to those elsewhere downtown which I use all the time. However,
this one seemed different in design (low tender probably) and there was a
guy standing next to it with a knot of people - tourists - lined up in
front of it.

He was supposedly there to help people use the thing, because it was
decidedly non-intuitive. Unlike some of the other machines, it wasn't even
obvious at first glance what you had to do to get the thing started and it
was giving people trouble. So this guy is there to instruct but instead of
helping he is taking the most condescending, patronizing attitude I've
ever heard. I watched him make fun of a couple of tourists and it was sort
of amusing until I got to the machine and realized why they were having
trouble. When I began to struggle with the machine and he started talking
down to me I told him that his machine needed a new user interface and he
needed a new attitude. But I wondered what the tourists ahead of me must
have thought of us.

--
Greg Beaulieu ab...@chebucto.ns.ca Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Mr. Roper

Aug 2, 2004, 11:12:31 AM8/2/04
Usually extra barricades are used and extra signs established to let
visitors know where to park. A lack of planning on this town's fault is not
Brian's problem.

IMO

"Hawk" <kenham...@accesswave.ca> wrote in message

Stephen & Darlene

Aug 2, 2004, 11:45:01 AM8/2/04
I don't think Brian or anyone is wrong to park a vehicle in any place that
Isn't posted "no parking". It is a public road governed by the same rules
as any other road and the police officer has to follow the municipal /
provincial laws governing parking tickets. No where on a ticket does it have
a section for writing a no parking ticket in a legal spot. As long as both
tires are off the road with enough clearance for vehicles to go by, and not
posted, it's legal.
What that police office did is Illegal. Using his authority to make a person
pay for parking for a tourist event to milk more money out of people.

I know my wife would have been in his face over the matter, and I personally
would have told the officer to write the ticket and I'd see him in court. If
it was found to be illegally written, I would have asked for his resignation
or to have him fired! I always have my camera when I'm on the road, and I
would have taken lots of pictures, up and down the road, and of the officer
writing the ticket.

Bottom line is I don't think Brian was bashing women in general, just most
don't want to cause a disturbance over such an illegal act by the police
officer.

Steve

"Variant" <var...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 12:39:03 PM8/2/04

"Hawk" <kenham...@accesswave.ca> wrote in message

> Were there other vehicles parked on that side of the street where you
wanted
> to park?

There were not. But, that could just imply that no one else choose to park
there.

>Could you see that by parking there that your car may impede
> service and emergency vehicles,

Road is wide enough that my parking a car there or even a truck would not
have impeded the orderly flow of traffic. In fact, that entire side of the
road could have had vehicles parked on it and it would not have impeded the
flow of traffic what-so-ever.

>and if not, do you think that your judgement
> of the conditions was better than that the town or exibition officials who
> made the "special event" ruling, or were you simply intent on exercising
> your right of the letter of the law?

My 'judgement' was within the parameters of the law and common sense.

> Sometimes, common sense has to prevail and people have to accept what is
> right for the conditions, rather than always fighting the system.
> Did you ever consider that your action caused several other people,
> including a police officer, to be diverted from other things, some of
which
> may have been serious rather than trivial??

The police officer was diverted from his viewing of one of ATV event going
on in the main area of the EX. I saw him leaving his seat to walk toward the
road. In the case of the volunteer that was so eager to offer his a$$ to be
kissed in front of my Wife and other females and children, I believe his
time could have been better spent at home.

> Just another perspective, Brian

Taken as that, Hawk.

Variant

Aug 2, 2004, 2:51:25 PM8/2/04
Basilic <Bas...@no.thanks> wrote:
> You are in the wrong here. When there are special events, the city is
> respondsible to either block off the road or post temporary signage. Not to
> leave it up to some schmo who has no external ID (uniform, badge, ID tag)
> indentifing him/her as having power over a public place.

Ah ok thanks for clarifying this. The way I see it, is that he was told
that there was no parking and decided to go against it due to the
absence of a sign. The fact he went against it and decided to test his
luck is his own fault.

I'm not sure on specific laws, but it seems to me I would have taken that
advice seriously and not parked there.

--
/* Variant */

Variant

Aug 2, 2004, 2:54:34 PM8/2/04
G. Wayne Hines <w.d.hine...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> And, in most places, when they do this, they post signs
> advising people. Otherwise, how are people from outside the
> neighbourhood, like Brian, supposed to know?

By people involved with the event alert those attempting to park there?

> Now you're being silly.

Dead serious. Just because the sign isn't there - it is ok.

Hfx.general has no charter stating Ads aren't allowed...so does that
make it ok to post ads? Ironic example for Brian...

--
/* Variant */

Message has been deleted

$_Hi There_$

Aug 2, 2004, 3:07:09 PM8/2/04
I think situations like this should be told, and told again. I will
ensure that any tourism advice I share shall include your experience
in Bridgewater. Hopefully it will create a feedback that will
encourage people and police to think before they power trip.

Marilyn E. Burford

Aug 2, 2004, 3:34:30 PM8/2/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Foghorn Leghorn wrote:

> Yeehaw! Bubba done come out of the donut shop to tell that city
> slicker what he cain and caint do in Bildgewater! What a small town
> hick like attitude. Brian you should write a letter to the editor!

Agreed...what a sad statement about this town. Brian, you should also
put that littel tale in ns.general. Maybe one of Bridgewater's finest will
see it and know 'the word is out'. God...redneckism is alive and well down
there!
Marilyn B.

Marilyn E. Burford

Aug 2, 2004, 3:38:18 PM8/2/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Brian Smith wrote:

> Let me say also, that when I lived outside of Bridgewater, the Townies (what
> the town folk were called, then and now still) display a dislike for anyone
> from outside of their little town. It used to be a nice place to visit, but
> it's becoming a good place to avoid.

Back in the 70's I was good friends with a girl from Br'water, and went
'home' with her for many weekends. While I grew very fond of her family
and really enjoyed my weekends down there, I swore I'd never want to live
there because my God...EVERYONE knew EVERYONE's business!

Marilyn B.

V*

Aug 2, 2004, 3:41:20 PM8/2/04

"Lucretia Borgia" <Lucreti...@florence.it> wrote in message
> I was with you before you dumped on your wife - now I say - fine you -
> tow your vehicle, hear me laugh !

http://hedstorm.net/HAUNT/SoundEffects/MONSTERS_QUOTES/cackle.mp3

Marilyn E. Burford

Aug 2, 2004, 3:42:37 PM8/2/04

I disagree. In this case a sign, even temporary, should have been posted,
if they didn't want folks to park where Brian was parking.

Brian, would it has been feasible to park several block away, on a
residential side street, and walk? This is what my husbnad and I would've
done.
Marilyn B.

kdo

Aug 2, 2004, 4:05:55 PM8/2/04

"Brian Smith" <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message

I can understand your point and frustration because there were no signs.
When someone told that you shouldn't park there, and gave you an alternative
place to park, that should have been the end of it.
I have been involved with organizing large events in the past, and without
fail, a some issue such as this is will be used to taint the entire event.
No doubt, many people (volunteers) worked long hours organizing these thing
for the better of the community. One SMALL issue such as being asked not to
park on the side of a street should not be used to color a town and event.

+G

Aug 2, 2004, 4:20:17 PM8/2/04

"Stephen & Darlene" <dad_is...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> SNIP

> If > it was found to be illegally written, I would have asked for his
resignation
> or to have him fired!

ROTFLMAO, yeah right, what colour is the sky down your way Stephen.
Fired for righting a parking ticket. LOL.

+G

Aug 2, 2004, 4:28:43 PM8/2/04

+G

Aug 2, 2004, 4:29:00 PM8/2/04

+G

Aug 2, 2004, 4:29:19 PM8/2/04

+G

Aug 2, 2004, 4:40:02 PM8/2/04

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 6:18:02 PM8/2/04

"Marilyn E. Burford" <bur...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> Brian, would it has been feasible to park several block away, on a
> residential side street, and walk? This is what my husbnad and I would've
> done.

We could have, Marilyn. But, there was no need to, with a whole road (half
at least) available for parking. We could have parked in a variety of
places, and would have, if there had been no parking signs on both sides of
the road.

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 6:20:47 PM8/2/04

"Marilyn E. Burford" <bur...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> Agreed...what a sad statement about this town. Brian, you should also
> put that littel tale in ns.general. Maybe one of Bridgewater's finest will
> see it and know 'the word is out'.

I have no worries that Bridgewater's finest will hear about it, the town has
a web site with e-mail addresses for the Mayor down through Council.

>God...redneckism is alive and well down
> there!

The first thought that came to mind was, we let the hillbillies out of the
backwoods today.

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 6:25:45 PM8/2/04

"kdo" <k...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I can understand your point and frustration because there were no signs.
> When someone told that you shouldn't park there, and gave you an
alternative
> place to park, that should have been the end of it.

The point was, the person that told me was ignorant (attitude wise) and had
no identification showing him to have any authority what-so-ever. The
alternative that was offered was pay for parking in our lot.

> I have been involved with organizing large events in the past, and without
> fail, a some issue such as this is will be used to taint the entire
event.
> No doubt, many people (volunteers) worked long hours organizing these
thing
> for the better of the community. One SMALL issue such as being asked not
> park on the side of a street should not be used to color a town and event.

If the town had erected signage, there would not have been an issue. The
issue was in the fact that there was no signage.

kdo

Aug 2, 2004, 7:16:14 PM8/2/04

> The point was, the person that told me was ignorant (attitude wise) and
had
> no identification showing him to have any authority what-so-ever. The
> alternative that was offered was pay for parking in our lot.

I've been on both sides before and understand your frustration, but to color
the town and the people with one brush is unfair, in my opinion.

> If the town had erected signage, there would not have been an issue. The
> issue was in the fact that there was no signage.

I agree, signage would have prevented the problem, and someone with a little
tact when addressing you would have helped as well.

Sorry that the day was ruined by such a small event , but I think we can all
relate with your frustration.
Easy for me ( and others) to say "no big deal" .

Brian Smith

Aug 2, 2004, 7:38:23 PM8/2/04

> > The point was, the person that told me was ignorant (attitude wise) and
> had
> > no identification showing him to have any authority what-so-ever. The
> > alternative that was offered was pay for parking in our lot.
>
> I've been on both sides before and understand your frustration, but to
color
> the town and the people with one brush is unfair, in my opinion.

As I stated in another post, I lived in the area in the past, and the
attitude the townspeople displayed then toward people from out of town has
always (in the last few decades) been the same. There are of course,
exceptions to that rule, and I didn't mean to colour every member of the
community with the same brush.

> > If the town had erected signage, there would not have been an issue. The
> > issue was in the fact that there was no signage.
>
> I agree, signage would have prevented the problem, and someone with a
little
> tact when addressing you would have helped as well.

Especially considering the fact that there were women and children around
the man. The looks he received were priceless.

> Sorry that the day was ruined by such a small event , but I think we can
all
> relate with your frustration.
> Easy for me ( and others) to say "no big deal" .

I appreciate your thoughts and want to assure you that my day wasn't ruined,
just the side trip to the EX. The rest of the day went well visiting Friends
and Family just outside of Bridgewater.

kdo

Aug 2, 2004, 7:47:29 PM8/2/04

The rest of the day went well visiting Friends
> and Family just outside of Bridgewater.
>
> --
> Brian

good to hear

demibee

Aug 3, 2004, 5:32:27 AM8/3/04
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:00:31 GMT, "Rick Walker" <R...@WR.com> wrote:

> Well done, my friend! Proper signage is imperative, especially during
>high-traffic tourist season. All they've seemed to do is deter visitors,
>not invite them!

... and give them the impression that Nova Scotians in general are
nothing but a bunch of backwater inbreds. As much as I'd like to have
seen Brian suggest that the cop in question read the Nova Scotia
Driver's Manual, he probably did the prudent thing by leaving.
Personally, I hope he gave him a "wave goodbye" on the way out ;)

A friend of mine used to live in Bridgewater; she worked there as a
teacher. In her class alone, there were Three students -- not related
to each other, from what I understand -- who'd been born with six
fingers on each hand... I kid you not! They had the scars to prove
it.

But I gotta say, on the street where I did most of my growing up,
there was a family from just outside of Bridgewater, and you'd be hard
pressed to find a better and more productive bunch of people. I'd
like to think the average Joe there is a pretty good guy... and if so,
maybe that'll offset the impression tourists get from the rednecks
running the exhibition... and the State-Trooper-like cops.

db

demibee

Aug 3, 2004, 5:53:08 AM8/3/04
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:51:25 GMT, Variant <var...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>I'm not sure on specific laws, but it seems to me I would have taken that
>advice seriously and not parked there.

Well, Brian didn't park there. And the exhibition lost a customer.
If the town didn't want parking in that location, they should have had
signage. Any town that relies on parking lot attendants to supervise
Public Streets is indeed behaving like a backwater. And to tourists,
that Will reflect on Nova Scotia as a whole.

What Brain wanted to do was perfectly legal. The cop's behaviour is
questionable, to say the least.

db

nos...@eastlink.ca

Aug 3, 2004, 6:21:38 AM8/3/04
demibee wrote:

> Well, Brian didn't park there. And the exhibition lost a customer.
> If the town didn't want parking in that location, they should have had
> signage. Any town that relies on parking lot attendants to supervise
> Public Streets is indeed behaving like a backwater. And to tourists,
> that Will reflect on Nova Scotia as a whole.

On the South Shore, and possibly all of Nova Scotia, tourism is major industry
(followed by Tim Hortons). What happened to Brian is not the best way of
preserving that industry.

demibee

Aug 3, 2004, 6:27:35 AM8/3/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:38:18 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
<bur...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>Back in the 70's I was good friends with a girl from Br'water, and went
>'home' with her for many weekends. While I grew very fond of her family
>and really enjoyed my weekends down there, I swore I'd never want to live
>there because my God...EVERYONE knew EVERYONE's business!

As I mentioned in a post above, a friend of mine used to live there,
working as a high school teacher. She's told me time and time again
just how backward she felt the teachers there were. She's a very
well-spoken, well educated person with many interests. The other
teachers, she felt, were gossips who cared less about education than
pay. Eventually, she gave up and is now working at one of the private
schools in Halifax.

One event she related to me... While speaking with two of the other
teachers, she was asked if she spoke to her (high school) students in
"that way." "What way?" she asked. "The way you speak to us," was
the reply (i.e., the level of speech). She answered that, yes, of
course she does! (After all, English was one of the subjects she
taught.) She got a strange look and left the teacher's lounge,
retreating into an adjacent room. The other two teachers, however,
thought that she'd left altogether, and they began to talk about her.
"I'd NEVER speak to my students that way... It's WEIRD!" Hearing
that, she considered marching back into the lounge to address them
with, "YOU!! YOU'RE THE PROBLEM WITH EDUCATION!!" But she knew so
well that it would fall on deaf ears. Now, people in Halifax are the
ones benefitting from her teaching abilities. It's really too bad
that those teaching in Bridgewater couldn't appreciate that.

db

Volunteer

Aug 3, 2004, 10:20:33 AM8/3/04

It's real shame when folks like you come in here and tell one side of the
story.
When special events like block parties are held in different parts of
Halifax streets are blocked and parking is affected.
Why can't the folks in Bridgewater do the same thing?
Obviously you were wrong and the police officer and volunteers were correct.

Special parking arrangements are made all the time for special events.....

you should grow up Brian

.Ruining a good day just trying to prove to someone your right........when
you are actually wrong
......geeesh give me a break

Brian Smith

Aug 3, 2004, 10:27:56 AM8/3/04

"Volunteer" <Voluntee...@jocko.com> wrote in message

> It's real shame when folks like you come in here and tell one side of the
> story.
> When special events like block parties are held in different parts of
> Halifax streets are blocked and parking is affected.

Signs are posted here, when special events are slated for the area.

> Why can't the folks in Bridgewater do the same thing?

That's a question that has been already been asked.

> Obviously you were wrong and the police officer and volunteers were
correct.

I don't believe I was wrong, I left, because leaving would cost me less
inconvenience and money, than having to return to the town to argue the
ticket in court.

> Special parking arrangements are made all the time for special events.....
>
> you should grow up Brian
>
> .Ruining a good day just trying to prove to someone your right........when
> you are actually wrong
> ......geeesh give me a break

My day wasn't ruined. I said that earlier.

--
Brian

Borrow from pessimists,
they don't expect to be paid back.

simple little newsreader

Aug 3, 2004, 10:38:36 AM8/3/04
Well for once I agree with Brian on this one. especially about Bridgewater.
I too left instead of suffering tha hassle of the small town cops of Rosco
and Enus.
everyone out there is trying to gouge the eyes out of tourists
by the time you get into a special event you have spent hmm lets take ,
Dartmouth of an example
15.00 to park ( when its supposedly free on weekends, holidays and after
6pm at most if not all parking meters within HRM) 30.00 per adult to get on
a tall ship so lets do the math
15.00 plus 4 adults in one car that hmm 135.00 to see on ship that makes the
bluenose 2 look like a ocean liner
PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric d'Entremont

Aug 3, 2004, 10:29:53 AM8/3/04

"> news:E%qPc.41310$vO1.2...@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> > My Wife and I went to Bridgewater to visit the South Shore Exhibition on
> > it's last day. We drove unto Exhibition Drive and saw no parking signs
on
> > one side of the road, but, none on the opposite side of the road. So we
> > parked on the side that didn't have any signage.
<snipped>
Brain, unless Exhibition Drive is much much wider then I remember it,
you were most likely causing traffic problems as well, especially of you
were parked on the right side going away from Dufferin Street. I know it's a
pain to pay to park opposite to the Ex, or park in the "CKBW" parking lot,
but you were wrong, in this case.
Cheers
Eric

Volunteer

Aug 3, 2004, 10:33:14 AM8/3/04

"Brian Smith" <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message

sure Brian
You ran back here and couldn't wait to tell the story about how a volunteer
and police officer were trying
to do their job and ran into an arrogant haligonian thinking he's smarter
than the folks running the event.

Brian do me a favour
Next time you and your wife decide to thumb your noses at small town Nova
Scotians please don't tell them your from Halifax.

Volunteer

Aug 3, 2004, 10:37:07 AM8/3/04
Maybe you are Brian?

" <rea...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Brian Smith

Aug 3, 2004, 10:51:22 AM8/3/04

"Eric d'Entremont" <bear...@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message

> Brain, unless Exhibition Drive is much much wider then I remember it,
> you were most likely causing traffic problems as well, especially of you
> were parked on the right side going away from Dufferin Street. I know it's
> pain to pay to park opposite to the Ex, or park in the "CKBW" parking lot,
> but you were wrong, in this case.

I'm going to disagree with you here Eric on a couple of points. I parked on
the side opposite the exhibition grounds (facing Dufferin Street), and the
road is more than wide enough to allow two way traffic to flow past vehicles
parked on one side of the road.

--
Brian

I love being married. It's so great to find
that one special person, you want to
annoy for the rest of your life.

Brian Smith

Aug 3, 2004, 10:55:10 AM8/3/04

> sure Brian
> You ran back here and couldn't wait to tell the story about how a
volunteer
> and police officer were trying
> to do their job and ran into an arrogant haligonian thinking he's smarter
> than the folks running the event.

The fact that I can read the NS MVA, and comprehend what is contained within
it's pages, does not make me arrogant.

> Brian do me a favour
> Next time you and your wife decide to thumb your noses at small town Nova
> Scotians please don't tell them your from Halifax.

I do not 'thumb my nose' at anyone, as a rule. Although, I am leaning toward
making you an exception to that rule.

--
Brian

Everyone has a photographic memory
...some just don't have any film.

simple little newsreader

Aug 3, 2004, 11:31:35 AM8/3/04
Not on My worst day........... U do know how to dish out an insult
though..lol.. Good one:)

"Volunteer" <Voluntee...@jocko.com> wrote in message

Eric d'Entremont

Aug 3, 2004, 11:25:47 AM8/3/04

> I'm going to disagree with you here Eric on a couple of points. I parked
on
> the side opposite the exhibition grounds (facing Dufferin Street), and the
> road is more than wide enough to allow two way traffic to flow past
vehicles
> parked on one side of the road.

Again, my friend, if unless things changed in recent years, there was a
huge pedestrian traffic in and around Ex Drive, and your vehicle would cause
problems. Did you see any other cars parked on the side of the street where
you parked? I see what you mean that you saw no signs, but there's no
warnings on razor blades to tell you not to rub them on your tongue and you
don't do it, do you?? By this I mean, I personally would never park my car
on the side of a street ( and I use that word very lightly as it's a right
of way between two streets, used more on Ex week then any other time) that
was being used as an entrance to a public event, as my "bat senses" would
tell me that it was going to be towed...
Cheeers
Eric

Brian Smith

Aug 3, 2004, 12:12:02 PM8/3/04

"simple little newsreader" <rea...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> Not on My worst day........... U do know how to dish out an insult
> though..lol.. Good one:)

Some people take it as an insult, others would feel complimented. The thing
to remember is, you've probably been called worse, by better people <g>.

--
Brian

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

TeeCee

Aug 3, 2004, 12:39:04 PM8/3/04
This is why I stay home with a cold beer and a hot barbeque.

The last thing I want to do on my day off is fight my way through
crowds of people who are all irritated by the 30 degree heat and
people who won't move out of their way.

"I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
-my mechanic

Willy Weed

Aug 3, 2004, 12:54:26 PM8/3/04
Did this machine happen to be blue and white or green and white?

"Greg Beaulieu" <ab348...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Brian Smith (Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada) wrote:
> : and he went across the street to make a note of my licence plate. He

passed
> : us going to the entrance and I asked him what his intentions were, he
said
> : that he was going to call the police and have my car ticketed and/or
towed.
> : I wished him good luck (as that would be hard to have done because of
the
> : lack of signage), and he offered a lower part of his body to me, to be
> : kissed.
>

> Maybe it's something about parking lot jockeys? Let me tell you my tale.
>
> Last Monday I had a meeting downtown at lunchtime. I drove there only to
> discover that all of the waterfront lots had been closed due to tall ship
> prepwork. However, heading along Lower Water St. I discovered that the
> former provincial government lot across from Summit Place had been
> converted to public parking, so I pulled in and parked.
>
> They had installed one of those pay-in-advance machines at the entrance
> similar to those elsewhere downtown which I use all the time. However,
> this one seemed different in design (low tender probably) and there was a
> guy standing next to it with a knot of people - tourists - lined up in
> front of it.
>
> He was supposedly there to help people use the thing, because it was
> decidedly non-intuitive. Unlike some of the other machines, it wasn't even
> obvious at first glance what you had to do to get the thing started and it
> was giving people trouble. So this guy is there to instruct but instead of
> helping he is taking the most condescending, patronizing attitude I've
> ever heard. I watched him make fun of a couple of tourists and it was sort
> of amusing until I got to the machine and realized why they were having
> trouble. When I began to struggle with the machine and he started talking
> down to me I told him that his machine needed a new user interface and he
> needed a new attitude. But I wondered what the tourists ahead of me must
> have thought of us.
>
> --
> Greg Beaulieu ab...@chebucto.ns.ca Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Acru Fox

Aug 3, 2004, 1:25:11 PM8/3/04
Ha! Had similar stupidity happen to me in the jewel just down from that
jewel :) Lunenburg! We stopped in on some sort of event last year and
walked near the docks, I got hungry and stopped into the local subway. The
people there were particularly slow and my father got tired of waiting out
in the sun on the sidewalk, he decided nature was calling. As soon as I had
paid for my sub and was about to sit down, one of the people behind the
counter rushes over to my father who had doorknob half turned and started
making a scene. "You can't use our washroom, go somewhere else, this
washroom is for paying customers only!"

My dad proceeds to lecture her back (his loud voice can really be
intimidating) which in turn shut her up. He told her, "my son just bought a
footlong sub and a meal deal, and I consider that a paying customer, if this
is how you treat tourists I should hate to think how you have treated others
who have walked through that door." The whole subway went quiet and everyone
was looking and anticipating her response, which was a mousy apology and she
went back behind the counter.

I also remember having some friends of the family visit around Dartmouth and
Halifax, I remember them trying to find parking in Dartmouth near the ferry.
Sure there were tons of parking spaces, but almost half of them, the meters
were broken. After parking in the lot across from the Tim Horton's, they
walked down to the ferry terminal. They of course didn't have proper change
on hand so they decided to use the change machines, one machine was listed
as broken, and the other one they tried kept rejecting their bills they went
back to the gate and asked them for change since the machines were not
working. They of course refused to, so then they went to the Tim Horton's
inside the terminal and asked for change, yep you guessed it, "you have to
be a paying customer" They didn't want to buy anything because we had just
eaten not more than an hour before, so they went back to the two morons and
told them if they didn't give us change we would file a complaint, that
tourists shouldn't be treated like this. Then once they realized they were
not locals, they started fumbling around for change, they didn't have any
for a measly $5 so they let them through for free. After visiting around
N.S. for a week they called and told us they would never visit N.S. again.
Just before they went back home they parked in a space that had absolutely
no signage (sound familiar) and tried to dispute it, they were slammed with
an overly high ticket of $80. Sure let's do this to tourists who first
language isn't even English.

Gee I wonder why tourism is down, could it be the roads, as well as
incidents like this occurring with the tourists?

"Brian Smith" <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message

> My Wife and I went to Bridgewater to visit the South Shore Exhibition on

> it's last day. We drove unto Exhibition Drive and saw no parking signs on

> one side of the road, but, none on the opposite side of the road. So we
> parked on the side that didn't have any signage.
>
> When we crossed the road one of the fellows that was collecting a
> parking fee from people entering the grounds asked if we were going to
> park
> there, I responded to the affirmative. To which, he came back with you
> can't
> park there, I pointed out the fact that there were no signs to that effect
> along the entire length of the road (on that side). He said it didn't
> matter, they had a parking lot. We went towards the main entrance of the
> EX,

> and he went across the street to make a note of my licence plate. He
> passed
> us going to the entrance and I asked him what his intentions were, he said
> that he was going to call the police and have my car ticketed and/or
> towed.
> I wished him good luck (as that would be hard to have done because of the
> lack of signage), and he offered a lower part of his body to me, to be

Greg Beaulieu

Aug 3, 2004, 4:05:19 PM8/3/04
Willy Weed (willy_w...@Mhotmail.com) wrote:
: Did this machine happen to be blue and white or green and white?

Don't remember. If pressed, I'd say blue & white but I'm not certain. It's
probably still there though.

a99xemen

Aug 3, 2004, 5:32:15 PM8/3/04
Brian Smith wrote:

> "Eric d'Entremont" <bear...@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Brain, unless Exhibition Drive is much much wider then I remember it,
> > you were most likely causing traffic problems as well, especially of you
> > were parked on the right side going away from Dufferin Street. I know it's
> > pain to pay to park opposite to the Ex, or park in the "CKBW" parking lot,
> > but you were wrong, in this case.
>
> I'm going to disagree with you here Eric on a couple of points. I parked on
> the side opposite the exhibition grounds (facing Dufferin Street), and the
> road is more than wide enough to allow two way traffic to flow past vehicles
> parked on one side of the road.

In the good ole days, 70s and 80s, everyone had been parking the same way that
Brian did. It was fun then.

Many of the towns along the south east shores have demanded less tour buses to
their communities due to the high traffics, at the same time, the same group of
people hope to see more tourists. Tour buses bowed to demands and scheduled
less tour buses to these communities. How can people see both sides of the
coins at the same time?

No tour buses, no tourists, no parking... well, they might as well cancel the
South Shore Exhibition. Tell everyone to stay home and let only the locals to
visit the Exhibition.

I agree with Brian.

demibee

Aug 3, 2004, 6:29:09 PM8/3/04
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:33:14 GMT, "Volunteer"
<Voluntee...@jocko.com> wrote:

>You ran back here and couldn't wait to tell the story about how a volunteer
>and police officer were trying
>to do their job

Is "Kiss My Ass" part of the parking attendant's job? The tourists
must've been quite impressed by this shining example of Nova Scotian
hospitality and professionalism.

Are cops in Bridgewater paid to abuse their authority by threatening
to write unwarranted tickets? Events in Halifax would have resulted
in having temporary signs posted. And if it's a big enough event, the
street -- or part of it -- would be roped off... often with a few
police RIGHT THERE to make sure everyone's informed and everything
goes smoothly. After dismissing the "advice" dispensed by Mr.
KissMyAss, Brian had to wait for a PA announcement to be "officially"
informed.

I put quotes around "officially" because the motor-vehicle laws are
those of Nova Scotia, Not those of "some cop" in Bridgewater. This
cop was going to ticket Brian Regardless of the fact that he was
parked Legally! Corrupt policing should Never be tolerated... even if
it is just over a parking space.

And as I understand it, Brian drives a truck as part of his job. I'm
sure he's able to tell when his parking would affect the flow of such
vehicles.

Face it... Bridgewater did this in a half-assed way. And if that
causes some backlash for them, they don't have far to look for the
cause. THEY were the problem!

>and ran into an arrogant haligonian thinking he's smarter
>than the folks running the event.

Apparently he's more informed. Hey listen, if that's the way the
officials act down there, they can f***ing well keep it!

db

simple little newsreader

Aug 3, 2004, 7:23:39 PM8/3/04
ditto
"demibee" <dem...@post.com> wrote in message

firecat

Aug 4, 2004, 12:49:54 AM8/4/04

well said db..

Hawk

Aug 4, 2004, 10:58:12 AM8/4/04

My remarks here are of a general nature and are some of my thoughts
regarding this whole thread.
The Bridgewater Exibition and town council SHOULD have placed no parking
signs in all places they wanted clear of vehicles.
BUT, if I was looking for a parking space and saw that there were no cars
along a street during a time when it would be natural for that street to be
filled with parked cars, I would have assumed that parking was NOT
permitted- especially when I was so informed by a volunteer.
The volunteer should have remained polite, even IF he was provoked by
someone who MAY have been obstinate. He should have and perhaps did, have
some sort of identification stating that he was a traffic volunteer
The authorities COULD merely have ticketed and towed the car, rather, they
chose to give Brian a break and have him paged so he could remove his car
himself . After all, Brian DID disregard the information given to him by the
volunteer. He MAY have beaten the ticket, but he would have paid the tow
charge.
As to the other accounts given regarding people running into situations
where they were confronted-- many times a simple friendly request using a
friendly tone and demeanor will avoid such situations. I recently had the
exact same situation where I needed to use a washroom on my way to the Tall
Ships and there was a Tim's nearby. I walked in and asked if it would be OK
and they said " Go right in". I bought nothing at the store but I said
"thank you" on the way out.
If a change machine is broken, it is not the fault of the "moron" at the
ticket booth. But if you go to the right people, and even if you are
impolite to them, they will solve the problem. In this case they issued a
free pass.
Folks need to stop being negative and think a little more positive and start
giving some consideration to others, especially during abnormal times when
the crowds are very large.
People in NS are very friendly and obligeing when compared to others in
perhaps different places.

Hawk

Marilyn E. Burford

Aug 6, 2004, 11:03:10 PM8/6/04
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Volunteer wrote:

> It's real shame when folks like you come in here and tell one side of the
> story.
> When special events like block parties are held in different parts of
> Halifax streets are blocked and parking is affected.
> Why can't the folks in Bridgewater do the same thing?
> Obviously you were wrong and the police officer and volunteers were correct.
>
> Special parking arrangements are made all the time for special events.....
>
> you should grow up Brian
>
> .Ruining a good day just trying to prove to someone your right........when
> you are actually wrong
> ......geeesh give me a break

OK...so about block parties. I've never attended one but surely some of
you here have. What DO they do about blocking the street? Is a temporary
barrier put up, or do they have PEOPLE standing blocking the street? Is a
temporary sign put up maybe? IMO, a temporary barrier with temporary sign
on it would be the way to go...

Marilyn B.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Karsen

Aug 7, 2004, 10:53:03 AM8/7/04

and based on that story i won't be going to Bridgewater anytime in the
future, especially to the South Shore Ex

Karsen

Aug 7, 2004, 10:56:41 AM8/7/04
Dennis,

I wouldn't count on that: redneck Ex employee, redneck cop, then
redneck judge. Enough said?

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:30:18 GMT, "Denis Lane"
<denis...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>"Brian Smith" <Hal...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message

>I would have let him ticket me, but taken pictures of the area and taken
>them with you to court and watch the judge laugh the cop right out of court

Karsen

Aug 7, 2004, 11:04:24 AM8/7/04
Marilyn,

I would have done the same as Brian. Get out of Dodge. They didn't
seem to want Brian and his wife at the Ex, so why stay? And had they
moved the car to another spot, they probably would have had to pay to
get back into the Ex

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:42:37 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
<bur...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Variant wrote:
>
>> Brian Smith <Hal...@novascotia.canada> wrote:
>> > Why is it that the women folk, don't see the obvious?
>>
>> Completely arrogant and baseless statement. Hopefully the women of this
>> newsgroup let you know as well.
>>
>> The way I see it Brian, is you were wrong. It was a special event and
>> they requested nobody park on that strip. Not a big deal - things have
>> to be adjusted to accommodate everything during these type of events.
>>
>> The absence of a sign does not make it right to do so (do you need a sign
>> to signify you can't set off an M80 in a parking lot?) Why ruin
>> your trip when you can accept the event rules and move on?
>
>I disagree. In this case a sign, even temporary, should have been posted,
>if they didn't want folks to park where Brian was parking.
>
>Brian, would it has been feasible to park several block away, on a
>residential side street, and walk? This is what my husbnad and I would've
>done.
> Marilyn B.

Karsen

Aug 7, 2004, 11:12:34 AM8/7/04

What? He was viewing an ATV event at the EX? And not sitting at a
Tim's somewhere? Holy shit, their reputation could be damaged by that
revelation.

Sarcasm provided free of charge.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:39:03 -0300, "Brian Smith"