who's the tv repair guru here

Doobielicious

Feb 14, 2006, 7:31:42 PM2/14/06
Got a TV here when started a black screen with a small horizontal line
running across. rest of the picture is black. it fixes itself after a
while. sometime when I bang the side it fixes. Metinks the tv is ready to
just die all together. It's a 10 year old JVC. Is the picture tube going.
Should I just throw it out and buy one of those 27 inchers from WellyMart or
some other place?

Ricky, Brian, OT, Zoloft, GMAN???? You guys have any ideas what it could
be.

Rick Walker

Feb 14, 2006, 7:37:58 PM2/14/06

"Doobielicious" <doobie...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message

Well without looking Doobie, it sounds like a ten-year old set has run
its course. And those Ball-Wart sets are going at a good price... I know
what I'd do.

(Sorry I couldn't help more).

- Rick

Zippo

Feb 14, 2006, 7:40:02 PM2/14/06
Check the Connections around the T-chip (U12101)

Zoloft

Feb 14, 2006, 7:53:59 PM2/14/06
Dude, a 'Flat line" is caused by a failure of your Vertical oscillator,
which is at 60 Hz (Line Frequency). Your horizontal oscillator is
running at 15750 Hz, generating a zig zag wave, which is how the "Fly
back" trans former generates the high voltage that is fed to the "AQUA
DAG" on the CRT.

It has been 22 years since I had to repair a TV, but I still have the
books. Hope info is helpful.

Bill.

Doobielicious wrote:

--
Free Nutrition and Weight Loss Information:

http://www.mission-thin-possible.com

Doobielicious

Feb 14, 2006, 8:00:12 PM2/14/06
hmmmmmmmmmmmm. how about explaining a little clearer. IS the tv fucked or
what? LOL

"Zoloft" <zol...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Doobielicious

Feb 14, 2006, 8:00:38 PM2/14/06
and where would that be??? :)

"Zippo" <speci...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bob

Feb 14, 2006, 6:50:31 PM2/14/06
Rick Walker wrote:

It's too bad that you don't have a 25 year-old TV. It would
still be good for another 5 years or so.
Phone a TV repair shop - Munroe's in Sackville (if he is
still there) always gave me straight answers. He was busy
enough that he never had to suck customers in for work. If
it's not worth fixing, he should tell you.

Rick Walker

Feb 14, 2006, 8:04:14 PM2/14/06

> hmmmmmmmmmmmm. how about explaining a little clearer. IS the tv fucked
or
> what? LOL

LOL! Go to Ball-Wart's Doobie...

- Rick

Luriko

Feb 14, 2006, 8:14:29 PM2/14/06
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:53:59 GMT, Zoloft <zol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Dude, a 'Flat line" is caused by a failure of your Vertical oscillator,
>which is at 60 Hz (Line Frequency). Your horizontal oscillator is
>running at 15750 Hz, generating a zig zag wave, which is how the "Fly
>back" trans former generates the high voltage that is fed to the "AQUA
>DAG" on the CRT.
>
>It has been 22 years since I had to repair a TV, but I still have the
>books. Hope info is helpful.
>
>Bill.

Are the B+ voltages at the fly back still 10-15,000 V now like they
use to be in the old sets?

Zippo

Feb 14, 2006, 8:16:35 PM2/14/06
Also check that convergence ring magnets are locked down with locking
ring . Mine had loose rings [unlocked] so I had to realign magnets and
lock the rings. My TV works great now.

Zoloft

Feb 14, 2006, 8:18:10 PM2/14/06
In today's world, the answer is yes. I was only telling OP what was
causing his problems. Being an aging electronics tech, I fully
understand our current state of disposable (junk) electronics. When one
can buy a fully featured DVD player for under $40.00 is their any point
of getting it repaired? Obviously not. Trash it.

Bill.

Zoloft

Feb 14, 2006, 8:20:52 PM2/14/06
Since the introduction of the solid state high voltage triplers I have
no ideas.

Bill.

Luriko wrote:

Dave

Feb 14, 2006, 9:20:05 PM2/14/06
"Doobielicious" <doobie...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> hmmmmmmmmmmmm. how about explaining a little clearer. IS the tv fucked
> or
> what? LOL

No, Doob...it should be a fairly cheap fix.

The flat horizontal line is telling you that the problem is in the vertical
deflection circuitry, which is usually a single chip. The fact that banging
the TV sometimes fixes it gives a clue that it's probably a cold solder
joint, which once found, takes about 10 seconds to fix.

Even if you take it to a shop, it shouldn't be a terribly expensive repair.

Brian Smith

Feb 15, 2006, 6:35:28 AM2/15/06

"Doobielicious" <doobie...@eastlink.ca> wrote in message

It's probably a safe bet that it's more affordable to simply support your
local landfill workers and purchase a new television.

Hfx_hooligan

Feb 15, 2006, 7:02:13 AM2/15/06

Dave wrote:> No, Doob...it should be a fairly cheap fix.

> The flat horizontal line is telling you that the problem is in the vertical
> deflection circuitry, which is usually a single chip. The fact that banging
> the TV sometimes fixes it gives a clue that it's probably a cold solder
> joint, which once found, takes about 10 seconds to fix.
>
> Even if you take it to a shop, it shouldn't be a terribly expensive repair.

I agree with Dave. There is a PCB ( printed circuit board ) on the back
of the CRT. Check for cold solder joints. Just make sure the set is
unplugged and stay away from any high voltage , like the connection
from the flyback transformer to the CRT.

Some TV used to have a switch , which put a horizontal line on the CRT
so a tech could do a convergence alignment. If you have such a switch
it could be intermitant.

Message has been deleted

oldtrout

Feb 15, 2006, 11:50:49 AM2/15/06

I really don't know.

The last time I had one looked at was on the recommendation of someone
in here. The shop was on Almon St and I was ripped off BIG TIME.

I don't know anything about the following but it was just posted on
hfx.forsale.

Hi all.....i would just like to say that if you are looking to get some
T.V
repair done or any other electronics fixed...That i would give Sidney a

call...(902-466-0061)Sidney fixed my 32 inch RCA t.v. in wicked
time....less
than 24 hrs...and has awsome rates to go along with that.....i have
gotten
my t.v. back in works better than new...Give him a call some time if ya
need
any repairs done... thanks Adam

oldtrout

Rich Johnson

Feb 15, 2006, 6:28:07 PM2/15/06
Zoloft <zol...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:UlvIf.1952$_62.986@edtnps90:

> Since the introduction of the solid state high voltage triplers I have
> no ideas.
>
> Bill.
>
> Luriko wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:53:59 GMT, Zoloft <zol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Dude, a 'Flat line" is caused by a failure of your Vertical
oscillator,
>>>which is at 60 Hz (Line Frequency). Your horizontal oscillator is
>>>running at 15750 Hz, generating a zig zag wave, which is how the "Fly
>>>back" trans former generates the high voltage that is fed to the
"AQUA
>>>DAG" on the CRT.
>>>
>>>It has been 22 years since I had to repair a TV, but I still have the
>>>books. Hope info is helpful.
>>>
>>>Bill.
>>>

>> Are the B+ voltages at the fly back still 10-15,000 V now like they
>> use to be in the old sets?

30kV or better, at least thats what the bridgemaster radar display used
to be. Serious pain if accidently touched

--
Rich
Enfield NS

Luriko

Feb 16, 2006, 7:55:23 AM2/16/06

Thanks Rich,
I didn't know if the voltages used were still that high with the
(modern) type equipment.
Yeah, 30Kv would certainly keep the cats out of you garden.....

Rich Johnson

Feb 16, 2006, 5:05:13 PM2/16/06
Luriko <di...@tracy.ca> wrote in news:d9t8v11cijouts9bg7i46d1l9t1a74dp3h@
4ax.com:

It seems that the higher the resolution or the bigger the size the
higher the CRT voltage. I wonder what the voltages are in the new lcd
panels, they can't use the same power/current that crt's do

Hfx_hooligan

Feb 16, 2006, 5:33:31 PM2/16/06

Probably not as high rich , thye don't have to illuminate the
phosphours, like you do in a CRT. Also no deflection coils. Been awile
since I've had one apart.

Oh, and Decca is now selling flat panels with the new Bridgemater E
radars, or it an option.

breton...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 4:16:44 AM4/18/18
Hi, someone messaged me concerning our broken microwave who thought it would be a good donation to NSCC. Please contact 902.877.5856 or breton...@gmail.com for further details. Thank you

Please view this ad:

Giant Microwave (Needs Fixing) ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-free-stuff/city-of-halifax/giant-microwave-needs-fixing/1347986099?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

jvangurp

Apr 22, 2018, 3:54:09 PM4/22/18
On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 05:16:44 UTC-3, breton...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, someone messaged me concerning our broken microwave who thought it would be a good donation to NSCC. Please contact 902.877.5856 or breton...@gmail.com for further details. Thank you

You may need to accept the fact that no one wants your broken microwave. It's worthless garbage, like the other 20 that are put to the curb every garbage day.

HRM Resident

Apr 23, 2018, 7:59:49 AM4/23/18
You don't have to wait until garbage day. Put almost anything out
by the road (I live in what was Halifax County before amalgamation.)
Someone will stop and take it within 2-3 hours. I've got rid of a rusty
hot water tank, a fridge, a stove, a table and 3 busted chairs, a big
couch and a couple of old TVs that way in the past 5 years. Old
computers sometimes take 6-7 hours. Anything with metal or wood on it
will disappear!

I think some of it is recycled as junk for the metal content and
other people pick it up either thinking they can fix it or use it for
spare parts. Whatever, there are scavengers in HRM. They will take
almost anything . . . I never had to leave anything more than 7-8 hours.

The microwave ought to go in 10 minutes! A bag of dirty diapers
might be problematic! :-)

--
HRM Resident

jvangurp

Apr 30, 2018, 8:00:32 AM4/30/18
It's true that! Obviously, not everything will go but there is a constant stream of scavengers driving around who will pick up the oddest things as long as there's scrap value.

Cheers,
John